KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DRAGON ANYWHERE -- the right choice for my new iPad?
Topic Summary: is Dragon Anywhere the best speech recognition application for my new iPad 8?
Created On: 12/14/2020 04:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 DRAGON ANYWHERE -- the right choice for my new iPad?   - GeorgetheWriter - 12/14/2020 04:17 PM  
 DRAGON ANYWHERE -- the right choice for my new iPad?   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/14/2020 05:54 PM  
 DRAGON ANYWHERE -- the right choice for my new iPad?   - DigitalCyclist - 12/15/2020 11:49 AM  
 DRAGON ANYWHERE -- the right choice for my new iPad?   - monkey8 - 12/15/2020 04:29 PM  
 4DRAGON ANYWHERE -- the right choice for my new iPad?   - monkey8 - 12/15/2020 06:37 PM  
 DRAGON ANYWHERE -- the right choice for my new iPad?   - GeorgetheWriter - 12/31/2020 04:51 PM  
Keyword
 12/14/2020 04:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

GeorgetheWriter

I'm an experienced DNS user of several decades, currently using DPI 15.3 on My Windows 10 PC.

On my old iPad 2, I used an app called Dragon Dictation to take dictation by voice. It was adequate for taking dictation, but did not offer any capacity to dictate into other apps such as Pages or Notes… I had to copy and paste.

I now have a brandy new iPad 8, and I see that Dragon Dictation is no longer available. My choices seem to be Dragon Anywhere or one of a number of different small-company dictation apps in the App Store, some of which get good reviews from users.

I'd like to take advantage of the collected experience in this Forum and ask:

Which way should I go: Dragon Anywhere or one of the other apps available in the App Store?

George, in learning mode in New Jersey

-------------------------

George Witterschein Mendham NJ USA

12/14/2020 05:54 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

DPI 15 (Dragon Professional Anywhere) is a $40 per month cloud version of DPI 15.61. On the upside you can use it on your iPad or cell phone but there are some limitations like not being able to use a third-party Dragon utility, create Advanced-Scripting commands or transcribe recordings. That $40 monthly charge might also detract from its value since you already own DPI 15.

If you're still using DPI 15.3, we recommend updating to the DPI 15.61 as soon as possible.

As far as being able to directly dictate into any non-Dragon friendly environment, we recommend DragonCapture and KnowBrainer 2017 for correcting and short dictations. You will find trials to both of these utilities in our signature tag.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

12/15/2020 11:49 AM

Author Icon
DigitalCyclist
Power Member

In September 2019 with the introduction of iPadOS 13, Apple introduced "Voice Control" as a fully integrated feature. (At the same time, Voice Control was introduced as a fully integrated feature on MacOS and iOS.) With each successive update of the operating system, Voice Control has become better and better. I've been using it for almost 15 months now on an iPad Pro. There isn't anything you can't do on an iPad with Voice Control. Some of the less well behaved iPad apps are a bit cumbersome, but most are very straightforward to use with voice control. As a personal comment, I find Apple's Voice Control to be much more reliable than Dragon will likely ever be – ongoing frustration with Dragon's instability in Windows is pushing me closer and closer to simply switching to a Mac or iPad and jettisoning my PC.

To learn more about Voice Control, see:
How to use Voice Controls on iPhone and iPad | iMore

12/15/2020 04:29 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

I think Lunis is getting his Dragon Anywheres mixed up, there is a product called Dragon Professional Anywhere For Windows PCs and a product called Dragon Anywhere (Individual) for mobiles. Dragon Anywhere for mobiles costs $150 per year or $15 per month and you can download a free trial to try it here:

https://shop.nuance.com/store/nuanceus/en_US/Content/pbPage.dragon-anywhere-individual?currency=USD

it is a mobile companion for DPI and synchronises with DPI on your desktop. Just to confuse things further there is a Dragon Anywhere Group which is a mobile companion for DPG. You can find details here but the one you want is the one above as you are using DPI 15 on your desktop.

https://www.nuance.com/dragon/dragon-anywhere/dragon-anywhere-group.html

Having said all of this I would try digital cyclist's recommendation first. You can then compare that with the free trial of Dragon Anywhere for mobiles and make your own choice free of charge.

12/15/2020 06:37 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

For completeness this is the link for the all-new Dragon Professional Anywhere for Windows (well new in the USA anyway), this will not work on an iPad, only Windows. This is the one that will cost you $40 per month.

https://www.nuance.com/dragon/business-solutions/dragon-professional-anywhere.html100H

12/31/2020 04:51 PM

GeorgetheWriter

Thanks to all who replied to my post! And Happy New Year to all of us on this forum.

As I've learned more about my new iPad 8, it becomes clear to me that I likely may not find it necessary to acquire any new iPad software for my real need, which is text
dictation into Notes, Mail, Pages, etc. Because at this iteration of the iPad virtually all text-based applications include a microphone icon on the virtual keyboard which when
clicked permits direct voice dictation of text into that app. It's not Dragon naturally speaking 15, but it's very good!

Fortunately, I have enough post-stroke motor skills in my hands to control the iPad adequately without resort to voice... My biggest concern was typing text, which gives me
trouble.

Evidently the Apple people have anticipated me with the current iteration of the iPad.

So if I do need anything to help with voice dictation on the iPad, which I doubt, I'll investigate one of the low price, but highly reviewed apps in the App Store.

And, Lunis, I will look into "updating to the DPI 15.61 as soon as possible" once I get my new PC purchase straightened out. I'm going to use my COVID Stimulus check to
help me buy a PC with 16 GB of RAM, and an SSD hard drive (for speed). Once I get past that hurdle, I'll be looking to implement your recommendation of the DPI 15.61
upgrade. GeorgeTheWriter

George Witterschein Mendham NJ USA

Statistics
31938 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 427 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 430 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.