KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: NaturallySpeaking and Apple
Topic Summary: Will NaturallySpeaking run on Apple using Rosetta 2 ?
Created On: 11/24/2020 02:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 NaturallySpeaking and Apple   - writeon1 - 11/24/2020 02:02 PM  
 NaturallySpeaking and Apple   - jacklenin - 11/24/2020 05:51 PM  
 NaturallySpeaking and Apple   - Stephan Kuepper - 11/27/2020 05:25 AM  
 NaturallySpeaking and Apple   - Mav - 11/27/2020 08:18 AM  
Keyword
 11/24/2020 02:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

writeon1

The problem that prevents me from using either Chrome or Apple has been the need for really good speech to text. And NaturallySpeaking still seems far superior to anything Apple or Google has come up with.

Apple has debuted a new M1 processor, and a "translator" called "Rosetta 2" that permits programs designed for Intel machines to run on their new hardware. Supposedly the new processor is so fast that this works pretty well. I'm wondering if anyone has heard that this might make a marriage between NaturallySpeaking and Apple possible.

-------------------------
Mac Dictate and Dragon 11
 11/24/2020 05:51 PM

Author Icon
jacklenin
Power Member

My limited reading of news about the M1 processor is that Boot Camp is not supported any longer and virtualisation products are not supported currently. There are no current public timelines for release of virtualisation software, e.g. Parallels and Fusion. If you're talking about running Dragon on the Mac operating system itself, I'm not aware that that's going to be possible.
 11/27/2020 05:25 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

I haven't really followed the news but Apple has used Intel processors for years. If "Rosetta 2 permits programs designed for Intel machines to run on their new hardware", we are NOT talking about programs designed for Windows, but rather the Mac OS programs that currently run on Intel processors.

The other possibility is that MacOS will soon allow iOS applications to run on desktop computers so Dragon Anywhere may soon run on Mac OS.

Hope that helps, Stephan

-------------------------

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

11/27/2020 08:18 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

From what I've read, Rosetta is provided by Big Sur and will basically be an in-process emulation of non-ARM code.

Since only x64 will be supported and not x86 (32bit), I'm unsure if Parallels will be able to support Windows on the new ARM machines - probably there's still quite a lot of 32bit code.

Most Windows applications are 32bit applications as well, but can run on a 64bit Windows thanks to the Windows-on-Windows (WOW) subsystem. I have no idea how this would play with rosetta, though.

One thing we can be sure of is that because rosetta is emulating x64 code in realtime and on demand (only code blocks that are to be executed are translated and not the whole application) there probably will be some hefty performance penalties.

Regards,

mav

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » NaturallySpeaking and Apple

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 386 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 389 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.