Please Say That Again   - grdagonese - 04/25/2020 02:31 PM  
 Please Say That Again   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/26/2020 01:07 AM  
Keyword
 04/02/2020 10:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Magiklair

Hello,

I have been having trouble with please say that again in numerous applications. The main one is Google Chrome and Signal as a use that often. WordPad, Notepad and Word are fine.

I have had this same problem with 2 computers with different OSs. 2 versions of NaturallySpeaking. Like 14 and 15 professional

I've tried 2 Plantronics headsets. The latest Plantronics 310. It is probably the microphone, but I need a microphone that is on the right side. I can't have a microphone on the left side. To work with my set up.. (health issues)

Any help would be great!

Brian

04/02/2020 11:39 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Make sure to first set file Explorer to show hidden files and folders otherwise your AppData folder may not be visible.

Edit the nsuser.ini which you can find here:

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\nsuser.ini

Look for the following line at the bottom:

[.Global\Compatibility Module Status] 

Global Dictation=0 

Change it to "Global Dictation=1"

This should work. However some problematic applications may have to be added explicitly. Taking Thunderbird as an example:

[thunderbird|52.9.1\compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1 

If all of this is to no avail then create a brand-new user profile. This could solve the problem. 

-------------------------

Auto Box© Demo now available

04/03/2020 03:50 AM

Author Icon
Magiklair

Originally posted by: dilligence Make sure to first set file Explorer to show hidden files and folders otherwise your AppData folder may not be visible.

Edit the nsuser.ini which you can find here:

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\nsuser.ini

Look for the following line at the bottom:

Global Dictation=0 

Change it to "Global Dictation=1"

This should work. However some problematic applications may have to be added explicitly. Taking Thunderbird as an example:

[thunderbird|52.9.1\compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1 

If all of this is to no avail then create a brand-new user profile. This could solve the problem. 

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. Here is my file

[Settings]

Current User=Brian_DgnRenamed_DgnRenamed

Last Audio White List Update YMDHR=_2020_3_28___12___0_

System Has Sound Card=1

Language and Dialect=1,1

User Base Directory=C:\New folder\NaturallySpeaking15\Users

User Base Directory RU=C:\New folder\NaturallySpeaking15\Users

Last Used User=Brian_DgnRenamed_DgnRenamed

User File Location 3=C:\New folder\NaturallySpeaking15

User File Location 1=C:\New folder\NaturallySpeaking15\Users

Last User Location Is Default=0

New Dragonbar Last Position as Default=666,0

Last Speaker=Brian_DgnRenamed_DgnRenamed

User Guid For Google Analytics={47FA8FC4-7D1E-416E-9744-7278CEE0BC62}

Last DragonBar Mode=3

Chrome user has seen RIA support page=1

Firefox user has refused RIA support page=1

enx Help Center Topic Url=http://www.nuance.com/products/help/dragon15/dragon-for-pc/enx/professionalindividual/Default.htm#cshid=0

UserTopicsMRU=General - Large

UserMRU=C:\New folder\NaturallySpeaking15\Users\Brian_DgnRenamed_DgnRenamed

Is Dictation Available=1

Modern DragonBar Collapse Mode as Default=1

[.Global\Global Dictation Level]

EXCEL7=0

Internet Explorer_Server=-2

– – – – – – – – – – – – – –
I'm pretty sure I have tried new profiles. But I will try it once more..
But this is so strange. NaturallySpeaking 14 & 15 Professional. Two different computers with Windows 7 and Windows 10. Two different Plantronics Headsets.
Any feedback would be great!

04/03/2020 12:10 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Hard to diagnose these problems at a distance with only a few details. We love details on this forum. Without more context, the possible source (or sources) of excessive "Please say that again" messages are many, including:

1. The microphone is failing or inadequate.
2. The soundcard is not up to snuff.
3. The microphone element is too far from or too close to your mouth. Or it's in front of your mouth instead of beside it.
4. You are speaking too softly or loudly.
5. There is excessive background noise.
6. You are not dictating enough words per utterance, or you are dictating one-syllable words in isolation.
7. Your microphone needs to be recalibrated. (Repair by running the audio setup wizard.)
8. Your profile is damaged. (Repair by creating a new one.)
9. You are dictating into applications that don't play well with Dragon. (And if that's the source of the problem, diligence's suggestion might help.)

The list of causes could go on.

Not sure what the issue with the microphone might be. Any over-the-head model I have encountered (like the Plantronics 310) can be worn either on the left or the right side. Rotate the boom 180 degrees, and voilĂ !
 04/03/2020 04:24 AM

Author Icon
Magiklair

Originally posted by: Alan Cantor Hard to diagnose these problems at a distance with only a few details. We love details on this forum. Without more context, the possible source (or sources) of excessive "Please say that again" messages are many, including: 1. The microphone is failing or inadequate. 2. The soundcard is not up to snuff. 3. The microphone element is too far from or too close to your mouth. Or it's in front of your mouth instead of beside it. 4. You are speaking too softly or loudly. 5. There is excessive background noise. 6. You are not dictating enough words per utterance, or you are dictating one-syllable words in isolation. 7. Your microphone needs to be recalibrated. (Repair by running the audio setup wizard.) 8. Your profile is damaged. (Repair by creating a new one.) 9. You are dictating into applications that don't play well with Dragon. (And if that's the source of the problem, diligence's suggestion might help.) The list of causes could go on. Not sure what the issue with the microphone might be. Any over-the-head model I have encountered (like the Plantronics 310) can be worn either on the left or the right side. Rotate the boom 180 degrees, and voilà!

1 I've tried several (2+) of two different models of Plantronics headsets.

2 I don't know what I have for a soundcard. I bought the 2nd most expensive Dell desktop so you would think it would have a soundcard. Do I need a soundcard if I have a Plantronics headset as I thought it would be fine to just have a headset and that I didn't need both.

3 What usually happens is NaturallySpeaking will work for a little bit fine with Google Chrome and then stop and get "please say that again" every time I say something

4 Don't believe this is the problem speaking to softly

5 No background noise

6 I don't think that's the issue. I've had this problem with both computers for quite some time and tried a lot of different things

7 I haven't done this, but it looks like it just resets the profile that is equivalent to creating a new profile

8 I have created new profiles so not using the same profile

9 I would think Google Chrome would be one of the supported applications

thanks for the reply

04/03/2020 01:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

1. Plantronics microphones are not exactly state-of-the-art and that's why you won't find them listed in our USB Microphones site.

2. Forget about any integrated soundcard because even the world's most expensive computers typically include a Realtek or similar soundcard (whatever comes on the 3rd party outsourced motherboard). In most situations, you simply can't use an integrated soundcard. If your Plantronics microphone plugs into a USB port, you are already bypassing your an integrated soundcard with a USB soundcard/microphone but again, note that Plantronics microphones are consumer grade and regardless of what the manufacturer claims, they are usually jack of all trades but master of none.

3. The NaturallySpeaking term was abandoned after Ver. 13. That term is now “Dragon”.

Dragon often likes Google Chrome for about 20 minutes. Then you will typically receive a message about Google Chrome having trouble with the Dragon link. From that point on, you will only see “please say that again”. If you close and relaunch Google Chrome, you will reenable Select-&-Say but do you really want to do that every 20 minutes or so. In our opinion, you should switch to Microsoft Edge second-generation; not the one that is probably already in your computer. You'll find details in the KnowBrainer Public Toolbox. Google Chrome is only partially enabled and while Firefox works great in DPG 15.5 and DMPE 4.3 (Build 15.5) Nuance will not be releasing a patch for DPI 15.3. This is another good reason to switch to Microsoft Edge. Note that nothing is more Dragon friendly than Internet Explorer but it is officially not supported, dangerously prone to infections and not exactly stable. 

Numbers 4 - 9 are not relevant to this response

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/03/2020 06:42 PM

Author Icon
Magiklair

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt 1. Plantronics microphones are not exactly state-of-the-art and that's why you won't find them listed in our USB Microphones site.

2. Forget about any integrated soundcard because even the world's most expensive computers typically include a Realtek or similar soundcard (whatever comes on the 3rd party outsourced motherboard). In most situations, you simply can't use an integrated soundcard. If your Plantronics microphone plugs into a USB port, you are already bypassing your an integrated soundcard with a USB soundcard/microphone but again, note that Plantronics microphones are consumer grade and regardless of what the manufacturer claims, they are usually jack of all trades but master of none. 3. The NaturallySpeaking term was abandoned after Ver. 13. That term is now “Dragon”.

Dragon often likes Google Chrome for about 20 minutes. Then you will typically receive a message about Google Chrome having trouble with the Dragon link. From that point on, you will only see “please say that again”. If you close and relaunch Google Chrome, you will reenable Select-&-Say but do you really want to do that every 20 minutes or so. In our opinion, you should switch to Microsoft Edge second-generation; not the one that is probably already in your computer. You'll find details in the KnowBrainer Public Toolbox. Google Chrome is only partially enabled and while Firefox works great in DPG 15.5 and DMPE 4.3 (Build 15.5) Nuance will not be releasing a patch for DPI 15.3. This is another good reason to switch to Microsoft Edge. Note that nothing is more Dragon friendly than Internet Explorer but it is officially not supported, dangerously prone to infections and not exactly stable.  Numbers 4 - 9 are not relevant to this response

Hello,

okay, let me cover some of the feedback

1. Okay on the Plantronics headset. I'll look at one of those mentioned.

2. So I need a dedicated soundcard? I thought if was using a Plantronics or other USB headset would be sufficient for using Dragon. Right now I'm disabling the onboard sound as I don't want it to play on speakers.

2. Yes that has been my experience with Google chrome

3. Okay it's now Dragon. They changed it to NaturallySpeaking from Dragon Dictate. Been using since 1996.

One other thing I will note is that there is hissing sometimes when I open certain programs or certain webpages coming from the speaker. This has happened with both PCs, different OSs and different versions of Dragon. I tried a new profile also and same thing with Google Chrome and the hissing continues

04/04/2020 12:14 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

1. Every USB microphone includes an external soundcard. That's what the term “USB” means, when included (on the side) or hardwired into a microphone. Nearly every microphone on our website is USB but we don't recommend Plantronics which is equivalent to a physician purchasing a stethoscope from Walmart.

2. It isn't necessary to disable your integrated soundcard. You can just change your input and output to your USB soundcard.

3. 86 Google Chrome and switch to the 2nd generation of Microsoft Edge and manually add the Dragon extension.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/05/2020 04:11 AM

Author Icon
Magiklair

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt 1. Every USB microphone includes an external soundcard. That's what the term “USB” means, when included (on the side) or hardwired into a microphone. Nearly every microphone on our website is USB but we don't recommend Plantronics which is equivalent to a physician purchasing a stethoscope from Walmart.

2. It isn't necessary to disable your integrated soundcard. You can just change your input and output to your USB soundcard. 3. 86 Google Chrome and switch to the 2nd generation of Microsoft Edge and manually add the Dragon extension.

Okay I purchased a ADDASOUND headset from your company. I'll keep people updated.

04/03/2020 04:17 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

I am pretty do you have not tried a new profile. The name of your current profile indicates that it has been restored from a backup twice. This would not be the case, had you created a new profile in the last couple of days - or something is horribly wrong with your computer.

I am pretty sure that Rob will get back to you during the day. However, while he doesn't, my advice is to close Dragon, rename the nsuser.ini to something like nsuser.ini.bak, and restart Dragon. Dragon will create a new nsuser.ini and the issue will hopefully disappear.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

04/03/2020 04:28 AM

Author Icon
Magiklair

Originally posted by: Stephan Kuepper I am pretty do you have not tried a new profile. The name of your current profile indicates that it has been restored from a backup twice. This would not be the case, had you created a new profile in the last couple of days - or something is horribly wrong with your computer. I am pretty sure that Rob will get back to you during the day. However, while he doesn't, my advice is to close Dragon, rename the nsuser.ini to something like nsuser.ini.bak, and restart Dragon. Dragon will create a new nsuser.ini and the issue will hopefully disappear. Hope that helps, Stephan

yes, I have  created new profiles and then didn't want to train them when I had a  good amount of time spent on the one profile and that was restored twice since . But guys I will try once more with a new profile.

04/03/2020 10:29 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

yes, I have created new profiles and then didn't want to train them when I had a good amount of time spent on the one profile and that was restored twice since .

In the old days, training was necessary. But those days are gone. For many people, a newly-made profile is as good, or almost as good, as it's ever going to get. If you import your custom words into a new profile (and custom commands, if you have any), and provide Dragon with a writing sample to analyse, the accuracy of your profile will be very close to its peak. The profile creation process only takes five or ten minutes.

04/03/2020 10:33 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I would think Google Chrome would be one of the supported applications

Dragon supports Chrome, but it's not 100%. In general, Dragon's compatibility with web browsers and web-based applications is spotty. I'm using DPG 15.5, and Dragon works better with Firefox than it ever has in the past. But Dragon plays more nicely with IE11.

04/24/2020 10:37 PM

Author Icon
Brodysmom

Brian,

I use a Jabra Evolve 65 mic.  The mic can be used an either side so that might assist you.

Pam

Pam McNaughton
 04/25/2020 05:33 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Magiklair Hello,

I have been having trouble with please say that again in numerous applications. The main one is Google Chrome and Signal as a use that often. WordPad, Notepad and Word are fine.

I have had this same problem with 2 computers with different OSs. 2 versions of NaturallySpeaking. Like 14 and 15 professionalBrian

If you're still having problems dictating into chrome and a few other applications try adding the following lines to your nsusers.ini (C:\Users\YOUR WINDOWS USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\nsuser.ini) right at the end of the file:

[chrome|80.0\Compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1

[chrome|81.0\Compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1

Global Dictation=1

Also make sure you have the Dragon extension installed with chrome. You can alter the file while Dragon is still running, just remember to save it when you're finished and then try dictating into chrome again. Whether the problem had already fixed itself or whether these amendments fix it in days and weeks ahead it will likely reappear but you know where to look next time.

EDIT: looking at your nsusers.ini that you posted above it does not contain any of these lines but please doublecheck the file again (because it is changed dynamically) to make sure none of those lines already exist. If they do exist make sure they are set to 1 and not 0 and for the ones that don't exist make sure you insert them at the end.

04/25/2020 02:31 PM

Author Icon
grdagonese

I have been having the same problem for several months now. New profiles have not fixed the problem. Although it is initially okay, after about 20 minutes, it does cause problems in chrome. To add to the mix, due to the need to keep two different browsers open for my practice management program, I switch between Chrome and Firefox. To use the program, I may not be able to switch to Microsoft Edge. Usually, when the problem occurs and I cursor to and click on the "please say that again dialog box" it will allow me to again dictate into chrome.

I have never had any luck with the chrome extension which seems to be buggy. And, nor does my nsuser.ini file have any of the suggested lines in it. I will try adding them and see what happens.
 04/26/2020 01:07 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Your user profile has nothing to do with browser compatibility. The seemingly “not quite ready for prime time” Google Chrome extension is oddly enough bulletproof in the Microsoft Edge second-generation browser. If you are unfamiliar with the new Microsoft Edge release, you will find a download along with “the more difficult to find” Dragon extension in the latest KnowBrainer Public Toolbox. Unfortunately, Firefox support can also be a little iffy but even if you don't have Select-&-Say you should be able to dictate and appreciate Active Accessibility.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Please Say That Again

Statistics
32168 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 344 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 345 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.