KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up
Topic Summary: My dragon install hangs for a while when I say Wake up
Created On: 07/25/2019 02:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - android94301 - 07/25/2019 02:08 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - PG LTU - 07/25/2019 02:22 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - dilligence - 07/25/2019 08:46 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - Alan Cantor - 07/25/2019 09:21 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - Stephan Kuepper - 07/26/2019 07:53 AM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/26/2019 11:09 AM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - Tiger Feet - 07/26/2019 11:52 AM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - R. Wilke - 07/26/2019 02:31 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - PG LTU - 07/26/2019 03:57 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - android94301 - 07/27/2019 02:24 AM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - R. Wilke - 07/27/2019 05:09 AM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - android94301 - 07/27/2019 01:17 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - R. Wilke - 07/27/2019 01:55 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - android94301 - 07/27/2019 02:41 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - PG LTU - 07/27/2019 02:06 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - android94301 - 07/27/2019 02:42 PM  
 Slow startup of Dragon 15.3 when I say Wake up   - R. Wilke - 07/27/2019 02:50 PM  
Keyword
 07/25/2019 02:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
android94301
Power Member

Hi,

I just upgrade from DPI 15 to 15.3. Now I am having big lags with recognition. I had some of these lags before Upgrading but now they seem worse.

When I wake up my microphone by saying "wake up" my Dragon install which is Dragon Professional 15.3 has a tendency to hang for a while (30 seconds or so). During this time Windows (8.1) task manager says Not Responding. While this is happening I can't dictate and indeed can't use any commands either. It's annoying. 

My system has  16 GB of RAM memory.  I run Dragon with KB 2017. I'm launching in QuickStart mode. It's kind of like Dragon just goes to sleep for a while  and then wakes up. During this period I don't see the recognition window. Then it comes back. Sometimes clicking on Dragon and turning off the microphone and turning it back on fixes the problem.

Is there a simple fix? I run Dragon using a fixed and always on microphone, so it's very inconvenient when there is a long lag before it responds. 

Thanks for the help.

07/25/2019 02:22 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Surprisingly (or not), this may have something to do with your mic. What are you using? The mic obviously hears you - does the icon change right away (and show it in listening mode)? Does the "recognition window" appear to hear the "wake up" utterance right away and it is the next utterance that is delayed, or is the "wake up" itself not heard until after the delay? You may get better insight by ticking the Dragon Options for "Show preliminary results."

Anyway, you suggest that it might not be the same delay when going from Mic Off to Mic On. If that is true, it is possible to modify the "wake up" voice command in the asleep state to first turn the mic off, and then turn it on. Let us know (hint, it involves editing - very carefully - your "system.dvc" file).

-------------------------

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

07/25/2019 08:46 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

In addition to PG's sage advice (since the issue appears when upgrading Dragon) it may be worth a try to create a brand-new Dragon user profile.

But before doing that it would be wise to export your current command file (MyCmds.dat) so you can import it back into your new user profile.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

07/25/2019 09:21 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I find the verbal "go to sleep" and "wake up" commands iffy, and stopped using them years ago.

If you have use of your hands, it's far more reliable to press the hotkey to turn the microphone on and off. By default it's Keypad-Plus. If your computer doesn't have a numeric keypad, you can assign another key, e.g., a Function key like F1, F2, etc. or a navigation key that you don't use, e.g., Page Up or Page Down.
 07/26/2019 07:53 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

What application is the cursor in when you say "Wake up"? Do you need verbal commands at all? If not, turn off active accessibility and see if things get better.

If you want to create a new user profile, there is no need to export your current command file because you can always import that from the old profile. You should, however, export your custom words and phrases for import into a new profile. Anyway, don't delete the old profile too soon, only when you're sure that the new profile is up and working.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

07/26/2019 11:09 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

As PG noted, this sounds more like a microphone problem. You might want to consider completely filling out your member profile so that we know what you are using for a microphone/soundcard (in future questions). When Dragon takes more than a couple of seconds, to drop your text, you usually have a sound system problem. This is 1 of the reasons we recommend against consumer grade microphones

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/26/2019 11:52 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

I also agree with PG & Lunis in that it is most likely the microphone and I am assuming that you cannot use your hands.

Just before you go down that route or changing any profiles, instead of saying, "wake up," say the phrase, "listen to me" to see if that wakes up the microphone easier. By using more syllables in an utterance sometimes helps than just saying the short, "wake up" phrase.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

| DPG 15.7.1 | KnowBrainer 2020 | Windows 10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10900K (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache |  32GB RAM. | 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W) Boot Drive | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W) Storage Drive | Sennheiser D10 USB Wireless Microphone

07/26/2019 02:31 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

The "wake up", and its counterpart, the "go_to_sleep" command are pretty much suspicious of not working as advertised, as the microphone is never really put to sleep that deeply anyway, as it goes on heeding for any kind of input all the while until the trigger word is uttered. Not much different from the state I'm in during the small hours of the day waiting for the alarm clock to ring.

When put to "sleep", allegedly, Dragon will go on collecting any kind of input which may result in it working hard on it at times, more often than not, overloading the recogniser, which in turn would cause it to stall.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it and either resort to turning the microphone on-and-off completely via either the keyboard or the buttons, or use a third-party add-on named SpeechStart+, which has been designed specifically to handle this issue.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

07/26/2019 03:57 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

What Rudiger said. In the asleep mode Dragon is analyzing input sounds (typing, background radio, phone calls) all the time. So the delay is that Dragon has to finish all its stuff in the buffers before it gets to the wake up utterance. So you need an external listener that separately (and outside Dragon) listens for the words "wake up" and then immediately cancels the ongoing recognition(s) and then turns the mic on. It's like SpeechStart+ but for the asleep mode. You can do it in a .vbs file or autohotkey script too; or look at this: https://www.voicemacro.net/ for a robust SAPI5 implementation. I've now used it to replace my homebrew Mike On ahk script (which was SAPI4), which replaced the mic off functions in my SS+ setup (which I still use for SHOW Numbers).

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

07/27/2019 02:24 AM

Author Icon
android94301
Power Member

Originally posted by: PG LTU What Rudiger said. In the asleep mode Dragon is analyzing input sounds (typing, background radio, phone calls) all the time. So the delay is that Dragon has to finish all its stuff in the buffers before it gets to the wake up utterance. So you need an external listener that separately (and outside Dragon) listens for the words "wake up" and then immediately cancels the ongoing recognition(s) and then turns the mic on. It's like SpeechStart+ but for the asleep mode. You can do it in a .vbs file or autohotkey script too; or look at this: https://www.voicemacro.net/ for a robust SAPI5 implementation. I've now used it to replace my homebrew Mike On ahk script (which was SAPI4), which replaced the mic off functions in my SS+ setup (which I still use for SHOW Numbers).

This sounds like a great idea and I would love to know how to do it. The microphone I use is a Samsung Go Mic, and I really like being able to not grab a headset and just dictate. The microphone works great and accurately once I get Dragon to really start up.  I think the problem is as several people describe that when the microphone is sleeping it's not really sleeping and I can see that because the results box still shows up. Since I often have the radio on or music on when I'm not dictating, this would really fill up the recognition buffer.

I'd rather not use a button on my keyboard since I have a small keyboard and very few optional keys. But if you could tell me how to use voice macro to set up something where I could give a command verbally and turn the mic on and off. That would be wonderful.

What I really need is an on-off switch on the microphone itself which would prevent the recognition buffer from getting full and then Dragon taking a long time to actually hear and operate on the wake up command. I do have another headset mic that is wireless and has an on-off switch, and when using that I don't sleep the microphone but just turn off the headset.

Anyway if anyone could share a script that would help me to act on these suggestions I would be very grateful.

07/27/2019 05:09 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

You could just get yourself a USB On/Off Switch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-OFF-SWITCH-3-0-HmbG/dp/B00RC1NFEI

DragonCapture Homepage

07/27/2019 01:17 PM

Author Icon
android94301
Power Member

I don't think that would work since every time you turned the USB switch on the computer would have to recognize and install drivers. And that would slow down the response.

For now what I'm doing is just using the card key to turn Dragon on and off.

07/27/2019 01:55 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I don't think that would work since every time you turned the USB switch on the computer would have to recognize and install drivers.

Are you really sure about that? Or wouldn't it just turn the device on or off just like a switch on the device, the one you are missing on your device now? I'll admit that I am not familiar of how it really works also, but I think I will get one of them, just to find out, and considering the minimal cost, as it may always come in handy one way or the other.

You may want to explain what you actually mean by this. I, for one, haven't got the faintest idea.

DragonCapture Homepage

07/27/2019 02:41 PM

Author Icon
android94301
Power Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke
I don't think that would work since every time you turned the USB switch on the computer would have to recognize and install drivers.

Are you really sure about that? Or wouldn't it just turn the device on or off just like a switch on the device, the one you are missing on your device now? I'll admit that I am not familiar of how it really works also, but I think I will get one of them, just to find out, and considering the minimal cost, as it may always come in handy one way or the other.

You may want to explain what you actually mean by this. I, for one, haven't got the faintest idea.

Sorry what I meant was I am using a keyboard key to just switch Dragon microphone on and off which works fine and unlike the sleep command instantly activates good quality voice recognition.

07/27/2019 02:06 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Go get SpeechStart+ and then you can turn the mic off when you don't want it and use SS+'s special MICROPHONE On voice command to turn it on when you do. SS+ handles the mic and user profile for Windows Speech Recognition and other info quite seamlessly (though I still long await the update I've had beta drafts of, Lindsay) and has other wonderful features around numbering and selecting UI elements (not just browsers, many desktop and Metro applications).

Scripting it yourself would require a serious commitment to coding something yourself. To start, all you _really_ have to do is send the numpad plus key, or whatever your hotkey is for Microphone on/off because that turns it on whether the microphone is asleep or off, as well as apparently canceling ongoing recognitions from the buffer (YMMV). So find a way to do that by voice without Dragon and do it that way. VoiceMacro is as easy to learn as AHK, look at the samples for ideas. Again, YMMV.

PG

07/27/2019 02:42 PM

Author Icon
android94301
Power Member

Originally posted by: PG LTU Go get SpeechStart+ and then you can turn the mic off when you don't want it and use SS+'s special MICROPHONE On voice command to turn it on when you do. SS+ handles the mic and user profile for Windows Speech Recognition and other info quite seamlessly (though I still long await the update I've had beta drafts of, Lindsay) and has other wonderful features around numbering and selecting UI elements (not just browsers, many desktop and Metro applications). Scripting it yourself would require a serious commitment to coding something yourself. To start, all you _really_ have to do is send the numpad plus key, or whatever your hotkey is for Microphone on/off because that turns it on whether the microphone is asleep or off, as well as apparently canceling ongoing recognitions from the buffer (YMMV). So find a way to do that by voice without Dragon and do it that way. VoiceMacro is as easy to learn as AHK, look at the samples for ideas. Again, YMMV.

Sounds above my pay grade. If you could point me to a script that would be great but otherwise I'll stick to just using my hotkey.

07/27/2019 02:50 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

but otherwise I'll stick to just using my hotkey.

That's as perfect as it can get in this situation, go on sticking to it, would be my recommendation. And also, let's just close this thread.

DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
32324 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 379 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 379 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.