KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5
Topic Summary: Locally installed OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5 does have full select and say
Created On: 12/06/2018 03:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Voice - 12/06/2018 03:06 AM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Stephan Kuepper - 12/06/2018 07:33 AM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - dilligence - 12/06/2018 03:36 PM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/06/2018 04:18 PM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Voice - 12/12/2018 02:50 AM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Stephan Kuepper - 12/12/2018 03:14 AM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Voice - 12/12/2018 04:42 AM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Spoudason - 12/12/2018 06:27 AM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Voice - 12/12/2018 10:03 PM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/13/2018 12:19 PM  
 No select and say in portable OpenOffice Writer 4.1.5   - Voice - 12/15/2018 01:46 AM  
Keyword
 12/06/2018 03:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Voice

Does anyone know what the problem may be, and more importantly is it fixable? I'm running the https://portableapps.com/ version (quite an interesting website btw). I need to run a portable version otherwise I'd just use MS Word. I'm open to other software options as well.

A little background: At first OO Writer was just crashing Dragon whenever the mic was on and OO was the active window. Then I installed the portableapps version of java and now it's not crashing, but still no select and say.

I'm running Dragon 13 Premium on Windows 7 Ultimate.

12/06/2018 07:33 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Dragon looks at the application' windows classes whether it is Select-and-Say-compliant. If the locally installed version is, and the portable version isn't, chances are that the portable version uses different windows classes. Basically it's up the the app developers to make their app Dragon-friendly rather than the other way round.

Java applications have never been compatible with Dragon and probably never will.

Hope that helps, Stephan

-------------------------

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

12/06/2018 03:36 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

That's correct, the portable apps version doesn't work with Dragon (it doesn't need Java runtime to be installed as far as I know). I tried it a while ago with and without Java and it crashed Dragon on my system as well.

The installed version, however, runs great with Dragon and is fully Select-and-Say compatible. I sometimes prefer it to Office 2016 because it loads faster and I really don't like the ribbon in Word. 

Apart from OO install version there are no viable Office alternatives that support Select-and-Say I'm aware of.

Auto Box© Demo now available

12/06/2018 04:18 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Voice,

You will typically see a DragonBar green dot or checkmark to signify that you are working with a Dragon friendly application which should include Select-&-Say capability. You should see the green dot if you open Microsoft Word, Outlook, WordPerfect, Notepad, WordPad, DragonPad, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer.

You may or may not be able to directly dictate into mobile or networked applications but you won't be able to take advantage of Select-&-Say. Your options are to cut and paste from another utility such as the Dragon Dictation Box or you might consider checking out KnowBrainer 2017 (third party command utility) which includes the ability to directly dictate into any field, application etc. and even limited pseudo-Select-&-Say capability. KnowBrainer 2017 is intended to be the missing half Dragon.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

12/12/2018 02:50 AM

Author Icon
Voice

Thanks for all your replies!

I did a little more digging and discovered that the problem may be that Dragon is expecting to see OO as an installed application (see this link: https://portableapps.com/node/59639). Is the problem actually that a program can only be select and say if it's an installed version instead of a portable version? I don't think so because the portableapps version of Chrome works with Dragon just like the installed version (ie., I generally have select and say in most places)... Hmm...

12/12/2018 03:14 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

The question is: how much does that John T. Haller person know about Open Office Portable window classes?

Anyway, he might just be right that in this particular case, Dragon does indeed need some registry entry. Select-and-Say works in more ways than one. In Chrome, for instance, it is provided by a browser add-on.

HTH, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

12/12/2018 04:42 AM

Author Icon
Voice

Thanks again for your reply, Stephan. I'd forgotten Chrome gets this functionality from an add-on. Here's to hoping there will one day be a portable office application that can use Dragon like it's meant to be used! Until then, those who need it will have to deal with copying, pasting, the dictation box or some variation thereof (not to mention all the extra work formatting will take!).
 12/12/2018 06:27 AM

Author Icon
Spoudason
Top-Tier Member

Jarte (www.jarte.com) works for me. It is a very flexible and adaptable word processing program. You will need to make two little adjustments to make it Dragon compatible. You can find these on this forum at "Jarte". If you have any technical questions, Bob Flora at Carolina Road Software support@jarte.com will be glad to help.

I hope this helps.

George

12/12/2018 10:03 PM

Author Icon
Voice

George, thanks so much!!! I can confirm that the instructions from your other post (enclosed in quotes and pasted below) do work for the portableapps version of Jarte and DNS 13 premium. I think everything's the same except the number is 13 instead of 15 for the file name. :-)

"Here are the instructions from Bob Flora of Carolina Road Software, creator of Jarte (Just Another Rich Text Editor):

- Close Dragon.

- Find a file named C:\ProgramData\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\nsapps.ini in your DPI 15 installation folder and edit it.

- Find section [.Global\Global Enable Class Names] in the file.

- Add the following line to the end of that section: RichEdit20=4

- Save the change and close the file.

- In Jarte, go to Help > System Information > Edit Settings

- Find setting "Class Name" and change it to: Class Name=RichEdit20

- Restart both DPI 15 and Jarte.

You now have the green dot which indicates compatibility with Jarte. "

I wonder if a similar simple tweak would allow the portable version of of OO to work...
 12/13/2018 12:19 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

George and Voice,

This is a great “must have” tip which we have added to the Quick Tips  for future reference. Thank you for this marvelous contribution.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

12/15/2018 01:46 AM

Author Icon
Voice

Lunis, I think it's already there under the "How to Enable Full Text Control in Jarte" heading. I didn't know to look in the quick tips and I'd never heard of Jarte until a few days ago.
Statistics
32133 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 376 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 377 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.