KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How does a hands-free user log into a PC?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/17/2018 11:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - wheels496 - 10/17/2018 11:14 AM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/17/2018 02:02 PM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - jzlako - 10/17/2018 03:26 PM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - dilligence - 10/17/2018 08:44 PM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - wheels496 - 10/18/2018 04:02 AM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - GDS - 10/25/2018 02:21 PM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - bradcit123 - 08/03/2020 02:06 AM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - Tomc - 01/17/2021 02:25 PM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - wristofdoom - 01/20/2021 10:42 AM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - monkey8 - 01/18/2021 12:16 PM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - R. Wilke - 01/18/2021 01:27 PM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - DigitalCyclist - 01/19/2021 10:31 AM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/20/2021 12:37 PM  
 How does a hands-free user log into a PC?   - Zig - 01/21/2021 02:11 PM  
Keyword
 10/17/2018 11:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

wheels496

Hello

Now that I am only running one PC (long story), how do people log into a PC, given that you don't have access to Dragon until after you have logged in?

So far, at work, in the office, I have a keyboard with a fingerprint reader-which works most of the time. However, it does not work the first time I am in the office after remote desktop accessing it from home.

(And currently we cannot get the same fingerprint keyboard to work on my employers PC at home).

Thanks

-------------------------

DPI 15.6.1

10/17/2018 02:02 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We don't have a clue but noted that Windows 10 includes a short password option where you can tap in a 4 digit code. This might not help you but should be easier. Of course you're right, Dragon can't be used because you don't have access to it even if it's running; a Catch-22

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

10/17/2018 03:26 PM

Author Icon
jzlako

This might work for you. Tobii 4c

https://www.zdnet.com/article/tobii-eye-tracker-lets-you-login-to-any-windows-10-pc-with-your-face/

I haven't used it for logging in but it does recognize you right away.

It might be worth investigating, jzlako

jzlako

Windows 10 Professional
Intel 6500 Skylake
8 GB of Memory
EVGA 6GB 2060 graphics card
Jabra 9470 wireless Microphone

10/17/2018 08:44 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

You don't have to type in a Windows password or a pin code every time you want to log into Windows.

Click on the Windows 10 Search icon next to the Windows Start button in the taskbar and type: netplwiz (and press Enter).

In the dialog you must uncheck: Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

You will have to type in your password to confirm. When done, Windows will go straight to your desktop after next reboot.

You should also add a Dragon shortcut (natspeak.exe) to your startup folder. 

Finally say "show Dragon options" -- "Miscellaneous" and check: Have the microphone on but asleep

This will pretty much start Dragon completely hands-free as soon as you start your computer. I have been using this setting for years.

www.speechproductivity.eu 

Auto Box - SP Editor - HyperNotes - Hotkeys for Dragon - Quick Correct - Press Utility - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

10/18/2018 04:02 AM

wheels496

Thanks for the suggestions. However, it doesn't really move me any further.

I note the suggestion about the camera and face recognition. I'm currently waiting on delivery of a camera so we can use face recognition and Windows hello. However, we are concerned that the issues I am having with Windows  hello and the fingerprint reader will persist with face recognition (does not work the 1st time I log into the PC directly after accessing it via a remote desktop).

The idea of not having a password unfortunately is a nonstarter owing to the security policies of the organisation I work with.

Thanks

DPI 15.6.1

10/25/2018 02:21 PM

Author Icon
GDS
Top-Tier Member

Are you familiar with switch input? In theory you could use a hardware switch to activate the Windows on-screen keyboard, and then use that to log in. The switch could be by your head, foot, mouth, or anything else that you could comfortable reach.

In a former life I used an X-Keys Programmable Keypad to login to Windows 7. I had a simple macro that typed my username, pressed tab, typed my password, then pressed enter. Hardly secure, but it worked.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether the X-Keys or similar products are compatible with Windows 10.

Eric Wright

DPI 15.3. 

08/03/2020 02:06 AM

Author Icon
bradcit123

I also faced the same problem. Recently I wanted to CCTV install software in my laptop but cctv installation failed. Then I format the system but laptop was going too slowly. I was so frustrated with my laptop. Need solution.

01/17/2021 02:25 PM

Author Icon
Tomc

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I would add my comment. I use a breath switch in conjunction with Dragon. I sip and puff into a straw which is connected to a Morse code switch. I can type keyboard characters, or switch into mouse mode to control the cursor. The combination of the two systems works quite well for me.
 01/20/2021 10:42 AM

Author Icon
wristofdoom

This is bananas. I want one. Where do you find/purchase such a product?

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

01/18/2021 12:16 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Most hands-free users have environmental controls e.g. devices that send infrared signals and other protocols to control home automation, TV, DVD et cetera. Even Amazon echo will do it. These are normally operated hands-free by switch or voice. We provide infrared keyboards which have a USB receiver. If you type in your password on the keyboard then you can capture the infrared codes in a macro on your environmental control/Amazon echo. Then put the keyboard in a cupboard as you will not need any more but leave the USB receiver plugged in. Then you just send the infrared macro from your environmental control or Amazon echo when asked for the password. I send my password from my android phone using an environmental control called the housemate which we played a part in developing. See video below.

For years I didn't use a password and just set up a local account without a password and the PC will then go straight into windows and load Dragon. I still use a local account today but I am more security conscious and use password as described above. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR1PlFCpb_Q

01/18/2021 01:27 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Gosh, how did you get the lady with the slight Cockney accent to do the voice-over? Is she for hire doing this somehow?

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

01/19/2021 10:31 AM

Author Icon
DigitalCyclist
Power Member

I get around this on my PC by having it set up so Windows will accept a 4-digit PIN instead of a password following a reboot. I use a mouth wand to tap the 4-digit PIN. Once logged in, Speechstart+ and Dragon are both in the start-up list to launch automatically. I simply have to say "microphone on" to start working.

Of course, you don't have to use the 4-digit PIN approach. You can just as easily use a mouth wand on the keyboard to type in an alphanumeric password.

This approach has the benefit of retaining login security, entails no additional software or hardware devices, and is essentially free (almost anything can be used as a simple mouth wand – e.g. a chopstick, or an un-sharpened pencil with a bit of cushioning tape wrapped around one end and the keyboard-friendly eraser on the other end)

01/20/2021 12:37 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you live in a computer safe location, Windows 10 offers an option to bypass your login password. The instructions are now a bit complicated but all we have to do is tap our keyboard to wake it up from hibernation, without the password prompt.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/21/2021 02:11 PM

Author Icon
Zig
Top-Tier Member

In Windows 10 v.2004 and newer, this option has been removed but can be restored with use of WinaeroTweaker It can restore the checkbox under the netplwiz tool that enables or disables the necessity of entering a password or PIN at each startup.

Zig

Statistics
31935 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 612 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 612 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.