KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How I can get Dragon NaturallySpeaking to talk into my Linux virtual machine with VMware?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/25/2017 08:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 10/25/2017 08:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
FranckDernoncou..
Power Member

I run Kubuntu 16.04 LTS x64 with VMware Workstation Pro 14.0.0.

The host OS is Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate. Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 is installed on the latter. However, when I try to write some text on Ubuntu through voice recognition with Dragon, no text get written inside the virtual machine. How I can get Dragon NaturallySpeaking to talk into my virtual machine?

I don't have this issue with Oracle VM VirtualBox. I have the same issue with VMware + Windows XP SP3 as guest, and VMware + Ubuntu 13.10 as a guest.

How can I fix the issue?

The issue isn't new: I had the same issue last time I tried, with Ubuntu 13.10 as a guest in VMware Workstation 10.0.1 (using Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate as the host).

10/25/2017 09:38 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Franck,

Did you check the host to guest settings in VMware, specifically the copy to guest setting? I know direct dictation works in Virtual Box, but I found it has quite some latency.If you can copy to the guest OS in VMware you can use the dictation box.

Also, while dictating, is VMware the active window?

I sent you a PM by the way.

Rob

-------------------------

The new, powerful SP 7 Standard is out now

10/30/2017 01:56 AM

Author Icon
FranckDernoncou..
Power Member

Originally posted by: dilligence 

Did you check the host to guest settings in VMware, specifically the copy to guest setting? I know direct dictation works in Virtual Box, but I found it has quite some latency.If you can copy to the guest OS in VMware you can use the dictation box.

Copy and paste is enabled:

Direct dictation indeed works in VirtualBox but VMWare has a few interesting features that VirtualBox doesn't have, and for some reason lately I have had some network issue with VirtualBox: [No internet connection on Virtualbox after upgrading to Virtualbox 5.2.0](https://superuser.com/q/1261451/116475)

10/26/2017 12:41 AM

Author Icon
alexander
Advanced Member

I always found virtual machines to be a tricky proposition. I use Vocola which has various ways to send key input into an application, and I basically keep trying a different type until it works. Worst-case scenario I use the very slow SendSystemKeys, but Mark wrote the following which I think also worked for me:
http://vocola.net/unofficial/keys.html

The other thing I ended up doing was using Putty to shell into the virtual machine.

If you are technically savvy you may also want to take a look at the dragonfly aenea.
https://github.com/dictation-toolbox/aenea

10/26/2017 10:46 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: alexander I always found virtual machines to be a tricky proposition. I use Vocola ...

We just wanted to point out that Vocola might be a temporary workaround because it is limited to Dragon 14 and below. Vocola does not work in Dragon 15 or future versions of Dragon.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

10/26/2017 08:22 PM

Author Icon
alexander
Advanced Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt
Originally posted by: alexander I always found virtual machines to be a tricky proposition. I use Vocola ...

Vocola does not work in Dragon 15 or future versions of Dragon.

well the 1st part of that statement is true, the 2nd part is TBD.

10/30/2017 02:00 AM

Author Icon
FranckDernoncou..
Power Member

Originally posted by: alexander I always found virtual machines to be a tricky proposition. I use Vocola which has various ways to send key input into an application, and I basically keep trying a different type until it works. Worst-case scenario I use the very slow SendSystemKeys, but Mark wrote the following which I think also worked for me: http://vocola.net/unofficial/keys.html The other thing I ended up doing was using Putty to shell into the virtual machine. If you are technically savvy you may also want to take a look at the dragonfly aenea. https://github.com/dictation-toolbox/aenea

Thanks. I think Vocola and Dragonfly aenea are a bit overkill solution to the VMware issue :-)

Yes Putty could be one way. Right now I'm using VNC but I would prefer to avoid that, as VNC misses a few features (cannot redirect all inputs, multi-monitor not so well supported, can't retrieve clipboard from the guests to the host, etc.):

10/27/2017 01:57 PM

Author Icon
matthewls
Top-Tier Member

I've been doing this for years, first with vmware workstation and more recently with virtualbox (because vmware dropped support for seamless windows on linux hosts). The latest virtualbox (5.2) runs dpi15 in a windows7 64 bit edition vm perfeclty.

The most common reason that dns doesn't work in VMS that I've found is incorrect audio funciton, either because the host or vm audio functions were broken or the settings were incorrect.

To test this, check your audio function inside the vm (in windows 7, a RMB on the audio icon in the task bar will bring up the settings and test windows). If you can hear windows test sounds and see the mic input level graphic changing when you tap the mic, then dns should worki. If not, then trouble shoot the audio settings, starting with linux, e.g. with pavucontrol or in the kde system settings. Be sure that the mic and speakers work in linux (the host).

DNS 12 works too, including via wine, but not reliably enough to be worth the trouble (though I do use it once in a while to dictate into dragonpad and then paste the results into a linux app for email...

You can make this work quite well.

Cheers, matthewls

10/30/2017 02:03 AM

Author Icon
FranckDernoncou..
Power Member

Originally posted by: matthewls I've been doing this for years, first with vmware workstation and more recently with virtualbox (because vmware dropped support for seamless windows on linux hosts). The latest virtualbox (5.2) runs dpi15 in a windows7 64 bit edition vm perfeclty.

The most common reason that dns doesn't work in VMS that I've found is incorrect audio funciton, either because the host or vm audio functions were broken or the settings were incorrect.

To test this, check your audio function inside the vm (in windows 7, a RMB on the audio icon in the task bar will bring up the settings and test windows). If you can hear windows test sounds and see the mic input level graphic changing when you tap the mic, then dns should worki. If not, then trouble shoot the audio settings, starting with linux, e.g. with pavucontrol or in the kde system settings. Be sure that the mic and speakers work in linux (the host).

DNS 12 works too, including via wine, but not reliably enough to be worth the trouble (though I do use it once in a while to dictate into dragonpad and then paste the results into a linux app for email...

You can make this work quite well.

Cheers, matthewls

Thanks. In my case Dragon NaturallySpeaking is installed on the host OS is Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate.  I think in yours, Dragon NaturallySpeaking is installed in the guest operating system, correct?

10/28/2017 01:36 PM

Author Icon
sypher9

I found the best way to use it with a VM is to use a USB microphone and attach the USB device to the VM. Install Dragon inside the VM and you're good to go.
 10/30/2017 01:45 AM

Author Icon
FranckDernoncou..
Power Member

Originally posted by: sypher9 I found the best way to use it with a VM is to use a USB microphone and attach the USB device to the VM. Install Dragon inside the VM and you're good to go.

There are two downsides:

1. Sometimes the guest may not be Microsoft Windows

2. It's a bit of a pain to have to maintain different Dragon NaturallySpeaking user profiles (one for each virtual machine + one for the host).

Statistics
32213 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 337 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 338 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.