KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Windows Explorer permanently maximized
Topic Summary: been trying this for years with no success
Created On: 05/26/2016 08:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - dilligence - 05/26/2016 08:16 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/26/2016 08:38 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - dilligence - 05/26/2016 09:03 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - Alan Cantor - 05/26/2016 09:20 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - Alan Cantor - 05/27/2016 09:50 AM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - dilligence - 05/27/2016 01:52 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - PG LTU - 05/27/2016 03:16 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - dilligence - 05/27/2016 06:00 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - Alan Cantor - 05/27/2016 08:54 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - PG LTU - 05/27/2016 09:29 PM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - dilligence - 05/28/2016 08:03 AM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - PG LTU - 05/28/2016 10:17 AM  
 Windows Explorer permanently maximized   - dilligence - 05/29/2016 08:58 AM  
Keyword
 05/26/2016 08:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Does anyone know a permanent solution to the following:
When you open/import a file in, let's say, paint (or any other program), or when you save a file, Windows Explorer will open. I want that window to be maximized permanently (instead of having to double-click the Explorer bar/resize the window every time to accomplish that).
Because when I maximize it one time, Windows won't remember it the next time.
I am using the voicecomputer intag function a lot and it would be very convenient if that Explorer window is always maximized.
Is there a registry setting available for this, or does anyone know a good voice command (that works everywhere in Explorer) to accomplish that?

-------------------------

www.speechproductivity.eu 

The Ultimate Dictation Box for Dragon - SP Ergonomic Editor - Hotkeys for Dragon - Better Text to Speech - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

05/26/2016 08:38 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Plan A:
You can maximize any Windows Explorer/File Explorer shortcut, including the File Explorer shortcut in Windows taskbar. Right-click on the shortcut, select Properties and change Run from Normal window to Maximized.

Plan B:
Rather than maximizing Windows Explorer/File Explorer (depending on your OS) you can optionally resize File Explorer to take up your entire screen. In other words don't say or click the square box to maximize the window but it will look like it's maximized. Windows Explorer/File Explorer should remember any non-maximized setting which will give you the illusion of being maximized.

Lunis Orcutt (615) 884-4558 x2
Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos
What Is KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (PDF)
KnowBrainer 2017 (30 Day Trial)
SpeechStart+ (15 Day Trial)

05/26/2016 09:03 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Lunis,

I've tried that before, but that doesn't work in 'import' 'open' or 'save as' dialogues (see attached picture).

save as dialog.jpg
save as dialog.jpg  (261 KB)

The Ultimate Dictation Box for Dragon - SP Ergonomic Editor - Hotkeys for Dragon - Better Text to Speech - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

05/26/2016 09:20 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

That dialog box appears to be part of Internet Explorer. The screen resembles Windows Explorer, but it is not; it is a child of its parent application, Internet Explorer.

If this dialog does not inherit its size from the last time it was opened, I doubt there is a straightforward way to automatically maximize it.

There is a hack for resizing a window every time it appears. Use Macro Express to create a script activated by a window title. In this case, the title would be "Save Webpage" (exact match). You would need to experiment to determine whether you want the trigger to be the window opening, or the window gaining focus. It's possible either will work.

The Macro Express script consists of one line:

Window Maximize: <Current Window>

This hack is not a general solution. It will only act on one particular window title. If you want it to work for dialog boxes in different applications, you will need to create separate Macro Express scripts. On occasion, different applications can share the script. Many (perhaps most) applications have the dialog box titled "Save As" so a single script triggered by this title should work in all (or most) of them.

This may be more work than you want to do. Maybe it would be simpler to say "click maximize" every time one of these windows appears?

05/27/2016 09:50 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

There is another possibility: in some applications, windows "remember" their previous dimensions, with one exception: maximized.

In these cases, the solution is to resize the window so it is just a few pixels smaller than fully maximized.
 05/27/2016 01:52 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Alan,

I know what you mean about the remembering part, but that change isn't permanent, Windows appears to automatically reset that from time to time.

By the way, the window in the picture isn't any part of Internet Explorer, it's just a regular Save/Open Windows Explorer window.

05/27/2016 03:16 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Do you have AHK? I think you said so. Here is a script for doing that. Run it as part of your startup.

#Persistent
SetTitleMatchMode, 2
SetTimer, MaxAll, 150
return
MaxAll:
IfWinExist, Save
    WinMaximize
IfWinExist, Open
    WinMaximize
IfWinExist, Import
    WinMaximize
return

Hth,

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

05/27/2016 06:00 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Philip,

This is SUPER!!

Works like a charm. Thank you, you're the best!

One additional question, is it possible to extend this script so that the maximized window by default opens in list view (not details view) and possibly also without the preview pane?

my MoviePlus X6 program keeps bugging me with this totally unnecessary preview pane.

05/27/2016 08:54 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Philip,

I didn't know about the #persistent directive despite years of tinkering with AHK. Thank you!
 05/27/2016 09:29 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

AHK is ideal for these tasks, too. Unfortunately, I don't know how to unambiguously turn off the Preview Pane, but if it always starts on, my solution works. And for me, Preview Pane is only available in the "Open" dialogs. All these things are hard for me to test because Win8.1 DOES remember the maximum state and which view (I prefer Details) and whether Preview was on and such. Anyway, try it out, but YMMV:

#Persistent
SetTitleMatchMode, 2 ; Matches all titles with the designated words in it (picks the top most)
SetTimer, MaxAll, 150
return

MaxAll:
IfWinActive, Save MoviePlus File As ; runs only on "Save MoviePlus File As"
    DoIt("Movie")
IfWinActive, Save ; runs on "Save" "Save As" "Save File" etc.
    DoIt("Save")
IfWinExist, Open ; runs on "Open" "Open File" "File Open" etc.
    DoIt("Open")
IfWinExist, Import ; runs on "Import" "File Import" "Import Commands" etc.
    DoIt("Import")
return

DoIt(Type := "")
{
SetTimer, MaxAll, Off ; turn of timer
WinMaximize ; maximize the window
sleep, 250
Send, !n ; start at the Filename textbox
sleep, 250
Send, +{tab} ; SHIFT+TAB to move to files pane
sleep, 250
Send, ^+5 ; CTRL+SHIFT+5: Win8.1 List View
; Send, ^!5 ; CTRL+ALT+5: Win8 List View
; Send, {LAlt}vl ; LEFTALT+V+L: Win7 List View
sleep, 250
IfEqual, Type, Open ; If the dialog was a File Open
    {
    Send, !p ; ALT+P: Toggles preview pane
    sleep, 250
    }
IfEqual, Type, Movie ; If the dialog was for MoviePlus
    {
    Send, !p ; ALT+P: Toggles preview pane? Google the keyboard shortcuts
    sleep, 250
    }
Send, !n ; back to Filename textbox
WinWaitClose ; wait to close the dialog
SetTimer, MaxAll, On ; turn timer back on
return
}

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

05/28/2016 08:03 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

there appears to be a comma missing in line 17 when I'm trying to compile the script:

Line Text: DoIt(Type:= "")

Error: Missing Comma

05/28/2016 10:17 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

I can't seem to duplicate your result.  Do you have the latest AHK?  "DoIt" is written as a function in AHK. You can try to remove the assignment in the passed term:  DoIt(Type) or make sure there is a space before and after the assignment symbol ":=" so DoIt(Type space := space "") -- although that doesn't seem to matter in my tests. And make sure you have open and closing braces.

Function Name(arg1, arg2)  or  Function Name(arg1 := "default", arg2 := "") 
{
code to perform
}

It works for me, but I don't know if I remembered the correct Win7 shortcut for the list view.  On Win7, this works better for me in the "Save" type dialogs: 

SendEvent, {F3}{tab}{right 2}{down}{end}{up 3}{enter} 

{F3} goes to the search box where a single {tab} then brings you to the options bar, {right 2} moves to the view, {down} drops the list, {end} goes to bottom and {up 3} brings you to list view. SendEvent works more consistently in this kind of scenario.

EDIT:  One last thing, don't name the script with the word "save" "open" or "import" in it as the script will then try to act on itself and give bizarre results . . .  Rob, is that the source of your issue?

PG

05/29/2016 08:58 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Philip,

Yep, I have an older version of AHK (because that one still has the automatic script recorder, I'm quite a greenhorn to this program, and that make things a lot easier for me). Anyway I tried the new version and now I don't get the error anymore.
As for the preview pane, it appears to be a MoviePlus thing (apparently has its own Explorer version), because Windows itself doesn't say the preview pane is on.
I will create a voice command for this, macro recorder if I have to, to fix this problem.
Again, your basic command works great!

Statistics
31333 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 354 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 354 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.