KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Speed vs. Accuracy - Switch position with voice command?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/28/2016 07:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Speed vs. Accuracy - Switch position with voice command?   - lw1990 - 01/28/2016 07:48 AM  
 Speed vs. Accuracy - Switch position with voice command?   - Ishmael - 01/28/2016 10:47 AM  
 Speed vs. Accuracy - Switch position with voice command?   - Chucker - 01/28/2016 10:50 AM  
 Speed vs. Accuracy - Switch position with voice command?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/28/2016 12:23 PM  
 Speed vs. Accuracy - Switch position with voice command?   - PG LTU - 01/28/2016 03:01 PM  
 Speed vs. Accuracy - Switch position with voice command?   - Chucker - 01/28/2016 03:26 PM  
 Speed vs. Accuracy - Switch position with voice command?   - PG LTU - 01/28/2016 03:32 PM  
Keyword
 01/28/2016 07:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lw1990

In DNS 14, there is a Speed vs. Accuracy slider setting under Options>Miscellaneous.
I like to switch between Dictate and Command and just Command mode, for different applications.

The problem is that the Fastest Response position works best for just command mode in my CAD program, as it's much faster and feels more responsive for quick commands.

But when dictating, the accuracy is intolerable unless the slider is moved toward Most Accurate.

So is there a way to have two different "Speed vs. Accuracy" settings and toggle between them using a voice command, rather than opening up the Options dialog 40 times a day? 

01/28/2016 10:47 AM

Author Icon
Ishmael

I have this custom command in version 13:

Sub Main
Dim engine As New DgnEngineControl
engine.Option (dgnengoptionComputeSpeed) = ListVar1
End Sub

Where ListVar1 consists of 10, 20, and so on to 100.
You also need to include references to DgnMyCommands and Dragon NaturallySpeaking ActiveX Controls.
 01/28/2016 10:50 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Luke,

NO, there is no way to have two different Speed vs. Accuracy settings. The only way that you could do this would be to either create two distinct profiles, which is a little tedious and slow in terms of switching between such, but the Speed vs. Accuracy slider can be moved by voice command. Just remember that it is a slider, and not a normal command option that is easily switch back and forth. Nevertheless, you can't have two settings in the same profile. Yes, you can create a custom command that would allow you to switch back and forth, but the time and effort required to do so would not be very efficient. You can control the Speed vs. Accuracy slider by voice command directly from within the dialog itself (i.e., Miscellaneous tab) because all of the Dragon dialogs are fully accessible by voice command [say-what-you-seetm (menu tracking)].

Also, it's not a good idea to switch back and forth between "Fastest Response" and "Most Accurate in the same profile. You may find that it has a negative impact on your overall accuracy. Yes, I understand what it is that you want to accomplish, but beating Dragon to death trying to do so won't accomplish either.

Lastly, if you are experiencing significant latency with the issuance of commands with the Speed vs. Accuracy slider set to Most Accurate using normal mode or command mode, this could be a byproduct of your hardware (i.e., microphone/soundcard/computer specifications) though I would be surprised in most cases. However, a less than optimal microphone/soundcard combination will create problems with the execution of commands. I experience no latency in the execution of either built-in or custom commands, some even very complex, in either DPI 14 or DNS 13 Professional. There was a problem with DNS 12 in terms of latency, primarily with DNS 12 Professional using BestMatch V. DNS 12 BestMatch V has a bug in it that negatively impacts the execution of both speech to text and commands. The solution this case was to create a profile using BestMatch IV, General-Large vocabulary, which doesn't have this bug. This was inadvertently introduced into DNS 12, regardless of whether you're using the retail versions or the DMPE 2.2.

Chuck

"Man is the animal that intends to shoot himself out into interplanetary space, after having given up on the problem of an efficient way to get himself five miles to work and back each day." - Bill Vaughn

-------------------------

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

01/28/2016 12:23 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

You have another possible option. If you only use a somewhat limited amount of dictation, you can combine KnowBrainer 2016 (you'll find a 30 day trial in our signature tag) to the equation. When running KnowBrainer, you can leave Dragon in Command Mode. When you need to dictate text, use the KnowBrainer Insert <dictation> command. For example, if you need to dictate “my dog has fleas” substitute Insert my dog has fleas. You no longer have to switch to Dictation Mode to dictate words.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/28/2016 03:01 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Ishmael's helpful example can be combined with the mode switching command (I forget what it is, but it is also in DgnEngineControl) so your list would only be _Command_ versus _Dictation_ mode (and the slider number can be programmed in for each choice). Even Chuck will recognize that getting to and moving the slider by voice is cumbersome if you have to do it 40 times a day! That's what commands are for -- combining these two steps (changing modes, changing slider position) efficiently!

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

01/28/2016 03:26 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

PG,

Fortunately, I don't experienced any problems with setting the Speed vs. Accuracy slider all the way to Most Accurate (100%) under all conditions. So having a command to change the position of the accuracy slider on-the-fly is useless to me. Nevertheless, I concur that it is tricky to move the Speed vs. Accuracy slider by voice command in the Dragon Options dialog | Miscellaneous tab. It's just that I've been using say-what-you-seetm (menu tracking) for so long, that it's second nature for me. Nevertheless, I've never move the slider from the 100% position (Most Accurate) except in DNS 12 when it was first released, and then only because of the issues related to BestMatch V.

I also concur with you that it's a useful command if you have to, or feel the need to, change the setting in the Speed vs. Accuracy slider frequently. Nevertheless, if you have to do that, that you got a problem with Dragon because I use normal mode 100% of the time and I never have an issue with commands (latency - speed of execution). This command might be useful, but it's a Band-Aid approach that ignores the real problem.

Chuck

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be, or have to be, done at all. - Peter Drucker

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

01/28/2016 03:32 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Right, Chuck, plus the command would be useless in Dictation only mode (Ha)! I guess I was thinking Dictation and Commands (what used to be what you called Normal) mode . . .

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

Statistics
32168 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 430 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 431 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.