KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to put commas in thousands?
Topic Summary: How to put commas in thousands? E.G 1,000 not 1000
Created On: 12/17/2015 02:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 How to put commas in thousands?   - JulianNott - 12/17/2015 02:38 PM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/17/2015 03:07 PM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Walt-Talks - 12/17/2015 03:21 PM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - PG LTU - 12/17/2015 03:49 PM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Alan Cantor - 12/17/2015 04:54 PM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - danw700 - 12/17/2015 05:10 PM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Stephan Kuepper - 12/18/2015 04:47 AM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - PG LTU - 12/18/2015 08:39 AM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Chucker - 12/18/2015 11:45 AM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - PG LTU - 12/18/2015 12:13 PM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Chucker - 12/18/2015 12:38 PM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Stephan Kuepper - 12/21/2015 09:26 AM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - dicdoc - 08/16/2021 07:39 AM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Alan Cantor - 08/16/2021 09:54 AM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - dicdoc - 08/16/2021 10:08 AM  
 How to put commas in thousands?   - Robert Snow - 08/17/2021 12:18 PM  
Keyword
 12/17/2015 02:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JulianNott
Advanced Member

There must be a simple way to do this.  Thank you for any answers.  How do you get commas in thousands automatically, e.g. 1,000 and not 1000.  Latest versions of everything!

-------------------------

-- Julian  --  Santa Barbara CA  -- Julian Nott --  www.NOTT.com

12/17/2015 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Nuance has made the default comma formatting setting to only appear in 10,000 as opposed to 1000. Nuance does not consider 1,000 to be proper formatting and doesn't offer an option other than using the Vocabulary Editor which would be exhausting unless you only need 1 variation such as 1,000.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

12/17/2015 03:21 PM

Author Icon
Walt-Talks

10,027 pesos $3.7 million 9000 eggs 220,220 peanuts $3018.13 $19,365.27
I looked at the autoformatting choices before response from Lunis. There was no way to put a comma in 1000. This was dictated with DPI-14.
Walt
 12/17/2015 03:49 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

I use "fix four digits" as an advanced scripting command which works on freshly dictated 4 digit numbers (goes left 3, adds the comma, then returns) and also works on a selected four digit number (while preserving what is currently in the clipboard):

Sub Main
    oCB=Clipboard ' save current clipboard
    Wait .1
    Clipboard ' clears the clipboard
    SendKeys "^c",1 ' copies selection, if there is one
    Wait .1
    If Len(Clipboard)=4 Then ' checks if the copied selection is four characters
        SendKeys Left(Clipboard,1) & "," & Right(Clipboard,3),1  ' if so, send 1st digit plus comma plus next 3 digits, overwriting the selection
    Else
        SendKeys "{left 3},{right 3}",1 ' if not, or if there is no selection at all, go left 3, add comma, and comeback 3 
    End If
    Clipboard oCB ' restore clipboard back
End Sub

Note DNS13Pro does not like it if you use a word for punctuation in a command name, so I wouldn't call my command "add comma".

Hth,

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

12/17/2015 04:54 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Here is another scripted solution, although I can almost guarantee there will be undesirable side effects.  To use the script, say "one two three four" to produce 1,234.

Command name: <0-9><0-9><0-9><0-9>

Sub Main
    SendKeys ListVar1 & "," & ListVar2 & ListVar3 & ListVar4
End Sub

<0-9> consists of

12/17/2015 05:10 PM

Author Icon
danw700
Top-Tier Member

PD you have some cool & smart scrtipting codes! have a great Christmas

cheers

Dan

The forum has me as a Top-Tier Member NO I am a laid-back layman

12/18/2015 04:47 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

I created a new entry in the vocabulary.

Written form: ,
Spoken form (whatever you like)
Properties: no space before and after, preceded and followed by numbers

Dictation: 1 (whatever you like) 2 3 4 => result: 1,234

It makes sense not to use the comma with four-digit numbers, otherwise you'd have to correct the year 2015 over and over again. Nevertheless, it should be possible to have the comma in automatic currency formatting.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

12/18/2015 08:39 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Stephan, it seems the same effect can be achieved by adding to the normal comma entry in vocabulary a new context using a printed form of , (i.e., a normal comma) and selecting between numbers for the context with the Format changed to zero spaces before and after, and numbers formated before and after as numerals. It still means speaking 4 digit numbers as individual digits, but since it is vocabulary and not a command, you can do it without pausing.

And, btw, in either a new vocab entry, or a modified comma context, sometimes that first digit will be spelled out as a word (unless you set numbers if greater than 1).

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

12/18/2015 11:45 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

PG is pointing in the right direction, but there are some problems with his approach.

1. You don't want to set the properties for the "Use printed form 1" to "before numbers" because this will produce some unreliable results. For example, "Send my mail to my summer address, 625 Marlborough St." will end up being "Send my mail to my summer address,625 Marlborough St." Obviously you don't want that. Notice that there is no space between the "," and "625". Therefore, set that option to "between numbers", which will avoid this particular problem.

2. You don't need to change the settings in the Auto-Formatting. If you have them set where you want them, don't shoot yourself in the foot by changing them.

3. If you set up the "Use printed form 1" correctly, you simply have to say the following:

"numeral four comma three two five" in order to get "4,325"

If you need a comma in currency, simply say:

"dollar sign", pause slightly, and then say "numeral four comma three two five" to get "$4,325"

Keep in mind that you can't do currency by saying the entire string without pausing between "$" and the four digit number you want to dictate. The reason for this is simple, Dragon gets confused when you do that. So, currency requires a little different approach.

This is the simplest approach, as well is being the most reliable. The others are "shotgun" approaches. The bottom line is work with Dragon, don't try to beat it to death. Or, Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS).

Chuck

"Man is the animal that intends to shoot himself out into interplanetary space, after having given up on the problem of an efficient way to get himself five miles to work and back each day." - Bill Vaughn

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

12/18/2015 12:13 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Thx Chuck -- between numbers is right and I've corrected above.

But just simply using "numeral" only covers the first word as a digit. Without my mod, if you say "numeral one comma one" you may still get "1, one" as a result. The *Better* way is using "spell" to cover all digits you say, so saying "spell one comma one" will give you "1,1" (and either way isn't a problem if you say more than one digit after the comma bacause numbers greater than ten will of course be written as digits).

To be clear, with the default comma settings, saying "dollar sign" pause "numeral four comma three two five" gives incorrectly "$4, 325" -- note the space!  You have to add my mod for an alternative between numbers context.  However, even for the default comma settings, saying -- even without the pause -- "spell dollar sign four comma three two five" correctly gives $4,325."  So, once again, "Spell" is your fabulous and versatile friend!

PG

12/18/2015 12:38 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

PG,

Occasionally possible, but I find that the way I have it set up is consistently reliable. If you're having problems with numbers after the comma being spelled out, that's a recognition issue. I don't have that problem and I've tested this approach, in fact it's in one of my post from a few months ago. As far as your experience with the currency, I don't find that. That is, I have no problems with that and it doesn't put the space after the comma doing it my way. I suspect you're not pausing long enough.

Nevertheless, modifying the approach by using "spell" is something that I hadn't thought of. Thank you for that. It may help those who have a problem with numerical accuracy. I don't have that problem, and never have since I implemented the approach that I spelled out above.

Chuck

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." -- Mark Twain

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

12/21/2015 09:26 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

PG and Chuck,

great suggestions, but I've found an even easier one.

Actually, for German I have an entry Tausenderpunkt that has a printed form "." (the German convention), no preceding or trailing space, preceding and following numbers set to numerals, which works like a charm even with natural currency dictation that contains cents.

If I say Ein Tausend zwei hundert fünfundvierzig Euro Zwanzig I get 1245,20 EUR

If I say Ein Tausenderpunkt zwei hundert fünfundvierzig Euro Zwanzig I get 1.245,20 EUR

which I find quite easy. However, your suggestions have made me look at the entry ".\\Punkt" and guess what - enable the printed form 1 and all formatting is already there!

eins Punkt zwei hundert fünfundvierzig Euro Zwanzig => 1.245,20 EUR

Great! You learn something new every day.

Thank you and best regards, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

08/16/2021 07:39 AM

Author Icon
dicdoc
Top-Tier Member

Hi,

I got a smiliar need in french. I'm trying to create

.3 entries after numbers.

So I entered a numbred list (see fulll ist attached). Then in properties I chose "no space before expression", and "use the no space form after numbers" (cf pics). 

However, how can I bulk apply these properties to my custom list ?

Memory: 16GB Microphone Brand and Model: LFH 4000 & Flexy Mike  Operating System: win 10, latest update; Surface Book 2, Processor (CPU) Type & Speed: I7 8650 Soundcard Brand and Model: none Speech Software: Dragon Medical Practice Edition, french version: 4.2 Using KnowBrainer?:Yes

08/16/2021 09:54 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I don't think you can apply the properties en masse. But there are workarounds that involve work, but are faster than manually changing one hundred words:

1. Create a new profile without custom words.
2. Import your list of custom words.
3. Open the Vocabulary Editor, display custom words only, and change the properties for one word.
4. Export your custom words, but choose the .xml file type instead of .txt.
5. Open the .xml file in a text editor...

The entry for the word with the modified property will look something like this:

<Word name=".0">
<ITN-RuleInfo userData="0" paramValue="0" paramHandle="-1" rewriteActive="true">
<RewriteText><![CDATA[point zéro]]></RewriteText>
<Itn-Control name="ItnControlName_NoSpace" valueName="ItnControlParam_After" value="3" id="1"/>
<Itn-Control name="ItnControlName_NoSpace" valueName="ItnControlParam_Before" value="4" id="1"/>
</ITN-RuleInfo>
</Word>

Use Search and Replace and/or Regex and/or cut-and-paste to modify the other custom words.

6. Save the .xml file. (Keep this file in a safe place so you can import it the next time you make a new Dragon profile.)
7. Switch to your original Dragon profile.
8. Import the .xml file.

Another workaround: use a macro scripting tool (like Macro Express or AutoHotkey) to automate the process of selecting the next word in the Vocabulary Editor, opening its properties, changing the properties, and closing the Properties window.

08/16/2021 10:08 AM

Author Icon
dicdoc
Top-Tier Member

thanks a lot !

Memory: 16GB Microphone Brand and Model: LFH 4000 & Flexy Mike  Operating System: win 10, latest update; Surface Book 2, Processor (CPU) Type & Speed: I7 8650 Soundcard Brand and Model: none Speech Software: Dragon Medical Practice Edition, french version: 4.2 Using KnowBrainer?:Yes

08/17/2021 12:18 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

SideCar:

JulianNott died in Ballon accident in 2019? In any case sorry for your loss.
Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » How to put commas in thousands?

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 520 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 521 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.