KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon Error?
Topic Summary: Dragon Error?
Created On: 09/23/2011 12:03 PM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon Error?   - Sasha - 09/23/2011 12:03 PM  
 Dragon Error?   - Tiger Feet - 09/23/2011 02:02 PM  
 Dragon Error?   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/23/2011 04:32 PM  
 Dragon Error?   - despues18 - 06/20/2019 12:20 PM  
 Dragon Error?   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/20/2019 01:22 PM  
Keyword
 09/23/2011 12:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Sasha
New Member

Posts: 10
Joined: 03/16/2011

I have a doctor getting an error that says internal recognizer error has occured, dragon is in an unstable state please save your work immediatly.

 

Have anyone ever come across this.

 

Thanks Sasha



-------------------------

Sasha Wellington

 

 09/23/2011 02:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Posts: 2168
Joined: 12/04/2009

Have a read of these.

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5661/~/%22an-internal-recognizer-error-has-occurred%22-error-message-may-appear-when 

http://www.fixkb.com/2010/05/internal-recognizer-error-has-occurred.html 

-------------------------

Tiger Feet

| DPG 15.7.1 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows 10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10900K (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache |  32GB RAM. | 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W) Boot Drive | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W) Storage Drive | Sennheiser D10 USB Wireless Microphone

 09/23/2011 04:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Posts: 39191
Joined: 10/01/2006

It sounds like you may have a partially corrupted user profile. Switching to your backup user profile may take care of the problem if you haven't saved corrupted information over the backup user. You'll find a step-by-step on switching to your backup user profile when you look up “switching” in the NaturallySpeaking Quick Tips (at the top of this page)

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

 06/20/2019 12:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
despues18
Power Member

Posts: 79
Joined: 06/30/2017

So it seems that my user profile had been corrupt because of the following error messages
"An error occurred while saving or copying the user profile".

I tried restoring and tried what was suggested for switching. It seems that I will have to be starting from scratch but I'm over that now. I just want to know how to keep this from happening again, thanks

By the way, the backups that I did have for some reason were not able to be backed up to so I guess a useless feature. I think someone somewhere said that this was a problem caused by Windows 10
 06/20/2019 01:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Posts: 39191
Joined: 10/01/2006

There is only an 80% chance that your backup user profile is intact. There is still a 20% chance that it will also be corrupted. That's why we strongly recommend making an additional manual monthly backup to an external hard drive or the cloud. We keep 4 copies of previous user profiles because we are a little paranoid. While there is nothing you can do to prevent user profile corruption, you can significantly reduce the odds by waiting for Dragon to save your profile before shutting down your computer. This is the most common reason for Dragon user profile corruption. In our opinion, this was a stupid Ver. 15 change that nobody asked for or wants. A prompt to save your user profile, as with previous versions of Dragon, would have been preferred because we don't always want to save our profile. KnowBrainer 2017 also includes a command called Close Dragon and KnowBrainer which prevents Dragon from saving your profile; for exactly this reason. Having said that, we have been using Dragon since 1996 (a year before he went public) and never experienced a corrupted user profile because saving your user profile when Dragon is closing also tends to be a bit more risky, even if it's not automatic. If you wish to save your user profile, we recommend saying save user profile, before closing Dragon.



-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1



KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Dragon Error?

Statistics
32106 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 418 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 419 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.