Very slow recognising speech   - PG LTU - 09/08/2022 09:37 AM  
 Very slow recognising speech   - Elaine - 09/08/2022 12:04 PM  
 Very slow recognising speech   - Ag - 09/08/2022 12:47 PM  
Keyword
 09/07/2022 06:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Elaine

For the last couple of days I have been getting extremely slow recognition - particularly noticeable in Microsoft Edge. Things look normal with my user profile and I tried a new one in case but that did not help.

Everything was previously perfect! Using DPI 15.61 and Knowbrainer 2020, both installed brand-new on a brand-new PC only last month so I'm fed up and flummoxed. Any advice would be welcome please.

-------------------------
Elaine
 09/07/2022 11:09 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I'd suggest that you start by making sure that you haven't accidentally picked the wrong microphone. I am probably not the most helpless person when it comes to computers and Dragon specifically, but that's exactly what happened to me recently. I started thinking of my user profile getting corrupted until I realised that while I was dictating into my handheld microphone, Dragon was actually listening to the microphone built into my laptop. And I have no idea how that could even happen.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

09/07/2022 05:58 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

I dunno if it is a Windows update thing but after rebooting, my default audio seems to reset to not what I had it at and wish it would stay. I check now and re-apply it as the default and it sticks even if logging out (that is, until rebooting again). PITA.

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

09/08/2022 09:21 AM

Author Icon
Elaine

Thank you both for your replies. You are so right, it is definitely a microphone problem. And yes it immediately followed a Windows update, how very strange and annoying. Dragon has been using the built in mike and is now saying my headset is "unavailable".

Elaine
 09/08/2022 09:37 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Elaine Dragon . . . is now saying my headset is "unavailable".

You probably tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. You may have to get to the Sound control panel applet (win+R mmsys.cpl) where you can disable and then reenable the sound source (and reset the default mic while you're at it).

Hth,

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

09/08/2022 12:04 PM

Author Icon
Elaine

Thanks PG. As well as what you suggested above I found that it also required a new user profile to resolve the problem. Even now I'm reluctant to close down in case the same problem occurs when I reboot!

Elaine
 09/08/2022 12:47 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

@Elaine:  when I 1st started using  Dragon a few years ago (after a gap of more than 10 years) and KnowBrainer, I suffered repeated "very slow" problems. The advice on this forum was frequently to create a new profile. I had trouble believing it, after all I thought that a lot of work went into creating a profile. But the folks who recommended creating a new profile were completely correct.

Creating a new profile is pretty quick. Exporting and re-importing your custom words and commands is pretty quick. It turns out the training your vocabulary is really not all that important, or at least certainly is not as important as having a quick way of crating a new profile. If you use "pseudo-phonetic" custom word written\spoken forms, you frequently need to do almost no training. In fact, starting a new profile often clears out garbage incurred by training poorly on the old profile.

to the advice "create new profiles early and often"  I might provide only one minor modification: when you do do some training or have some profile work that is a pain to restore[*],  you can save a little bit of time by (0) creating a completely fresh profile, (1) doing the basic profile work ASAP [*], and (2)  saving/exporting that fresh and slightly updated profile, and then (3) working on the new profile. (4)  later, hopefully much later, when the new profile starts being slow or performing badly, restore the profile you saved/exported in (2),  and you thereby save the work of step (1).

Note *:  by "profile work" for me it mostly means deleting standard vocabulary entries, since I find that I often don't need every possible form of girl's 1st name,  that conflicts embarrassingly with my male boss'  1st name.  I have about  230 such deleted standard vocabulary entries. You have to delete them by hand in a fresh profile, because Dragon does not save them in the  Exported custom words. I remember what they are by putting entries in the custom words files that look like

Sherrie\\DELETED conflicts CHERI

BTW  I make regular backups of my exported custom words files, actually version control using git.
 sometimes I make minor changes to the properties of standard vocabulary entries, which I recording custom words and reapply similarly.
 I seem to be unusual in doing this. If you don't make modifications to the standard vocabulary entries, you probably can get by with just importing and exported custom words file.
And similarly, I backup my settings files for Dragon, so that I don't need to try to painfully recall what magic configuration flags made me happy.
#FAQ

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » KnowBrainer Software and Support » Very slow recognising speech

Statistics
32389 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 459 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 459 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.