KnowBrainer vs DragonFly   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/28/2022 02:54 PM  
 KnowBrainer vs DragonFly   - sitnduck - 10/17/2022 08:59 AM  
 KnowBrainer vs DragonFly   - Edgar - 10/17/2022 09:49 AM  
Keyword
 08/18/2022 11:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sitnduck

Hi! I'm a happy Natlink/Dragonfly user, where I've created a large command map.

However, I seem to be running into a "maximum" number of commands in the map, so I was wondering if KnowBrainer could be an option. I am using Dragon 11 right now.

I'm generally looking to use this type of functionality:

cmd.map = {
           "up []":                         Key("up/2:%(n)d"),

and 

def format_camelcase(dictation):
    """ stud """
    text = str(dictation)
    words = [word.capitalize() for word in text.split(" ")]
    return "".join(words)

Thank you for any info!

08/18/2022 12:50 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

KnowBrainer 2020 would allow you to create more commands but because you are using Dragon Ver. 11, it is not an option. KnowBrainer 2020 requires Dragon 13 or higher. We recommend upgrading to DPI 15.61 (Non-expiring Digital Downloads w/Patches)  

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2022
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

08/18/2022 01:35 PM

Author Icon
sitnduck

Thank you; so KnowBrainer allows the same style of commands? Are they Python, or proprietary? (Dragon's?) 

Things like typing keys, waiting, manipulating dictated text, etc.

Even perhaps some "if" logic.

Thanks again!

08/18/2022 02:36 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If logic yes but current KnowBrainer 2020 scripting only supports VB .net and DVC. The next KnowBrainer release, KnowBrainer 18, will include Vocola

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

08/18/2022 08:33 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Cool! Another scripting engine built into KB!

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

08/19/2022 02:22 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

The next KnowBrainer will NOT include Vocola. It will, however, be based entirely on SAPI 4 (not SDK), and thus include some Vocola like capabilities such as alternative and optional command phrasing, and in addition to that, allow for the <dictation> variable anywhere in the command, and mulitple times in a command.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

08/19/2022 09:25 AM

Author Icon
sitnduck

Oh, ok so just to make sure, when you say:

and thus include some Vocola like capabilities such as alternative and optional command phrasing, and in addition to that, allow for the variable anywhere in the command, and mulitple times in a command.

Does that mean currently there are no alternative command phrasings, meaning I guess you could create duplicate commands for that purpose?

And regarding variables that cannot "be reused multiple times in a command", what does that entail? I figured if it is using Visual Basic, you could use/capitalize/modify an utterance or string as you please? 

Thank you, I just want to know what to expect for functionality. As I mentioned, I'm pretty happy with the quick up/down/app switching/camelcasing/etc. macros of dragonfly and want to make sure that would still be possible.

Cheers!

08/19/2022 10:19 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Sorry for causing a confusion by not proofreading my message after submitting it. I was kind in a hurry with my job needing my attention.

When I said "allow for the variable anywhere in the command, and multiple times in a command", what I meant to say was "allow for the <dictation> variable...". Unfortunately, when going through the Quick Reply box, angle brackets and everything between angle brackets is just omitted. I just went back and updated my message, so thanks for making me aware of it.

First off, with regards to your question as to the extended "phrasing" capabilities available for command definition in the next KnowBrainer, it will basically be along the lines of what you already have with regards to the Natural Language commands which the manufacturer provides. So let me just use one example of a Natural Language command to demonstrate this.

In the Command Browser, you will find things such as, for instance:

( change | view | open ) [ the ] screen resolution

As you are certainly aware of, everything between round parenthesis, separated by the pipe symbol, are alternative phrases, and everything between square brackets are optional phrases. To that end, this example actually translates to 6 individual commands, all doing the same, and all embedded into one single command:

change the screen resolution
change screen resolution
view the screen resolution
view screen resolution
open the screen resolution
open screen resolution

Of course, such examples could be extended in many ways, making the command definition even more powerful, and be aware that you can even make alternatives optional. :-).

They did it that way in order to allow for achieving things without having to memorise the exact wording of one particular command, thus making controlling the computer by voice more natural, as long as you just use one potential or likely way of saying it, but you won't have to say it exactly one particular way.

Technically, the capability to define treelike command structures all going down the same path, as regards recognition, is provided by SAPI 4 itself, which is what Dragon is based on still today. I'm not even sure whether this comes with SAPI 5 also, since I have never done very much with SAPI 5, but since it isn't of any use as regards Dragon programming, why should I even begin with it.

The same capability has been provided through Natlink, and if I am correct, passed on to its descendants, such as Vocola for example, but I'm not really familiar with any of the descendants actually.

However, until today, this capability has never been part of Advanced Scripting, for instance, or of KnowBrainer as we know it, therefore.

Now onto the "multiple <dictation>  variable" feature. So far, in Advanced Scripting, and starting with version 13, an "open-ended" variable named  <dictation> has been introduced, which, however can only be used at the end of an Advanced Scripting command, and only once in a command in addition to that.

Now, the next KnowBrainer will allow for placing the <dictation> variable anywhere inside the command, and multiple times in a command, thus allowing for commands such as, for instance:

Replace  <dictation> for  <dictation> 

So perhaps I might say that, with the new extended features made available, your options will be limited only by the bounds of your creativity and imagination.

DragonCapture Homepage

09/24/2022 06:32 AM

Author Icon
michaelbeijer
Top-Tier Member

Hmm, so Lunis said, "KnowBrainer 18, will include Vocola", and R.Wilke said, "The next KnowBrainer will NOT include Vocola". Can someone please explain this?

Dragon Professional Individual 15 + Vocola + Speech Productivity
Win 11 – 64-bit, i9, 64GB RAM
Logitech webcam mic 

09/24/2022 07:23 AM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: michaelbeijer Hmm, so Lunis said, "KnowBrainer 18, will include Vocola", and R.Wilke said, "The next KnowBrainer will NOT include Vocola". Can someone please explain this?

Lunis misspoke. Rüdiger is writing the code for KnowBrainer 18, so go with his answer. 

As Rüdiger said, KnowBrainer 18 will be similar to Vocola in one respect: the syntax for command names will include the ability to use optional words and alternate words. I think that must've been what Lunis was remembering when he wrote his post. (I'm one of the beta testers for KnowBrainer 18.)

09/24/2022 01:19 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Matt_Chambers
Originally posted by: michaelbeijer Hmm, so Lunis said, "KnowBrainer 18, will include Vocola", and R.Wilke said, "The next KnowBrainer will NOT include Vocola". Can someone please explain this?

Lunis misspoke. Rüdiger is writing the code for KnowBrainer 18, so go with his answer. 

As Rüdiger said, KnowBrainer 18 will be similar to Vocola in one respect: the syntax for command names will include the ability to use optional words and alternate words. I think that must've been what Lunis was remembering when he wrote his post. (I'm one of the beta testers for KnowBrainer 18.)

Thanks for the clarification, Matt. To me, it feels like you are the ONE current beta tester, and if it weren't for you going on to give me the strength to carry on, I probably might have given up by now.

Just as an update to anyone who is interested or involved. I have been through a nasty stretch while implementing the full-blown list managing facilities, both going on under the hood and on the UI, but finally, it seems like I am managing to recover, and the next update is coming around the bend fairly soon.

DragonCapture Homepage

09/28/2022 12:45 PM

Author Icon
sitnduck

Thank you all for the replies. I have to say that since I've never used KB, I'm still a bit confused, as I have no clue how KB works at all and couldn't find much reference (I probably missed the correct page, apologies!). For example, is it possible to do a "camel case" command macro as is possible in Dragonfly, e.g.:

def format_studley(dictation):

""" stud <dictation> """

text = str(dictation)

words = [word.capitalize() for word in text.split(" ")]

return "".join(words)

Thanks again!

09/28/2022 02:54 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You might want to check What is KnowBrainer, KnowBrainer Manual and KnowBrainer Quickstart, which were included with your download. Of course forum questions are always welcomed

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

10/17/2022 08:59 AM

Author Icon
sitnduck

Thank you; after reading the manuals, it looks like it may NOT be possible to do this type of capitalization?

Can anyone confirm that is the case, otherwise I will need to stick to Dragonfly

10/17/2022 09:49 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Although it requires a lot more code, it is quite possible to camelCase a selection with either Dragon or KnowBrainer. Take the selection and split it into an array of individual words then, word-by-word - Split each individual word(using Mid ()) so that you have just the leading letter in one variable and everything else in another. Manipulate only the first letter (lowercase for the very first word, uppercase for all other words), then do something which looks vaguely like:
collection = collection & firstLetter & restOfLetters
Since the original splitting removed all of the spaces, once you've processed all the words, collection now has a single camelCased "word".

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » KnowBrainer Software and Support » KnowBrainer vs DragonFly

Statistics
32389 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 389 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 390 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.