KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Help! KnowBrainer somehow imported ALL of my past deleted commands & duplicate commands!
Topic Summary: Any way to mass delete all KnowBrainer commands, or reload to a previous saved command backup?
Created On: 12/22/2021 02:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 12/22/2021 02:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
brainerfan

Title sums it up. Never had this happen before.

Is there a way to revert to a previous KnowBrainer backup, without keeping any of the current commands? Right now there are far too many duplicate commands to reasonably delete.  

Thankfully I made a backup hours before this occured, so I won't lose anything. 

Any help is appreciated!

12/23/2021 12:03 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Since Lunis has not yet jumped in…

KnowBrainer stores its commands in this folder:
C:\Users\edgar\AppData\Roaming\KnowBrainer\KnowBrainerCommands\

where "edgar" is my username and will need to be replaced with your username. (I have not yet updated to the newest KnowBrainer 2020 but I suspect all of this will be the same there.)

Within this folder you will see a number of other folders; there are two which you will need to work with:

AutomaticBackups
StatusChanges

"AutomaticBackups", on my system currently contains about 670 entries which look like:

MyKBCommands_3345
MyKBCommands_3350

(I occasionally prune out this folder keeping only the first few entries [date-of-creation-wise] and the last couple hundred.)

You will want to use one of the last couple [date-of-creation-wise] in your attempt to restore a recent version. There are two steps to this process (KnowBrainer must not be running)…

1) (copying - this is the easy one) COPY one of the numbered versions from the "AutomaticBackups" folder and paste that copy into BOTH the "StatusChanges" folder AND the "KnowBrainerCommands" folder (in C:\Users\edgar\AppData\Roaming\KnowBrainer\).

2) (renaming - a bit more tricky) you will need to rename both of the copied files (overwriting existing files in the process; to be entirely safe, you could change the names of the existing files so that they are not overwritten).
          a) in the "KnowBrainerCommands" folder you now have these two files (among other files and folders - depending on your Window settings the file extensions may or may not be visible):
MyKBCommands.xml
MyKBCommands_3350.xml
(the numeric extension, in my case 3350, will be different depending on which backup you chose to restore). Edit the name of the file with the numeric extension removing the "_3350" part saying "Yes" when it asks if you want to overwrite. If you want to be able to get back to where you are right now, you may rename the existing command file:
MyKBCommands.xml
could become:
OLD_MyKBCommands.xml
and you will not be asked to overwrite.

b) in the "StatusChanges" folder you will see two files:
MyKBCommands_withAmendedCommands.xml
MyKBCommands_3350.xml
following the same steps that you just accomplished in section "a" above you are going to rename "MyKBCommands_3350.xml" as "MyKBCommands_withAmendedCommands.xml".

Reboot your system allowing KnowBrainer to launch automatically (if that's the way you have it set up or launch it manually when your system is completely rebooted). You are now using the automatically backed up KnowBrainer command file. You might need to follow this procedure a couple of times stepping through older and older automatic backups to find one which best suits your needs.

A word of warning - KnowBrainer only automatically backs up every fifth version of the commands file. There is one other copy of a recent commands file: "MyKBCommands_backup.xml" which (I think) is the immediate most recent command file - you could try this one first.

-------------------------

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

12/23/2021 01:21 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

1.      Copy or type %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\ into Windows Search field or File Explorer and press {Enter}.  

2.      Delete the KnowBrainer folder

3.      Reinstall KnowBrainer 2020. 

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32324 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 376 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 376 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.