User profile backup   - ChrisW - 10/31/2021 01:37 PM  
 User profile backup   - R. Wilke - 10/31/2021 03:01 PM  
 User profile backup   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/31/2021 05:47 PM  
Keyword
 10/31/2021 01:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ChrisW

Can anybody tell me whether there is a difference in the composition of a user profile when one saves a copy of the current user profile by "export user profile" as against "backup user profile" utilising the Manage User Profiles? If there is, which is the best method to save a copy of a successful user profile in case of disaster?

Chris

-------------------------

I7 3740QM, 32G Ram Windows 10, I7 2.67GHz with 8G Ram, I7, Andrea USB, Samson Airline 77, Philips SpeechMike 3500, Speechware 3 in 1, AT Pro8he,  DMPE2, DPI15.61, Knowbrainer 2017

10/31/2021 03:01 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Good question, the typical answers around here probably misleading.

The short version:

"Backup" operates "internally", and saves a copy of the current profile under the (hidden by default) user profile folder. To that end, it also overwrites any previous backups. Basically, you are not in control that much, but don't worry about it, the people at Nuance knew what they were doing when implementing it.

"Export" prompts you for an "external" storage location, where it saves a copy of the current profile, which you may use via "Import" when doing the reverse operation, but you are left on your own, as opposed to the above option. On the upside, whenever the drive where the "internal" backups (and user profiles for that matter) are stored, fails, you can always fall back to the external save.

Personally, I cared a lot about keeping external backups of my profiles, just in case, in the past, but I stopped doing that some versions ago.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

10/31/2021 05:47 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You can optionally go old-school by manually copying your %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\[your name] folder. If you leave a shortcut to the Dragon user folder on your desktop, this method might be a little quicker. Since we always copy (backup) our entire user profile to the same address, we additionally added a shortcut to a backup address in the same folder. Now we just open the user folder shortcut and drag and drop our user folder to the backup directory. 

PS: All 3 of these options are good choices.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » KnowBrainer Software and Support » User profile backup

Statistics
32324 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 356 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 356 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.