KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon (sometimes?) goes into an infinite loop when I invoke "hyphenate <dictation>"
Topic Summary: ... or at least, I saw that command "recognized" right before the loop
Created On: 01/31/2021 10:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 01/31/2021 10:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

I'm not perfectly sure what caused this, but it seems to be some sort of interaction between  "hyphenate <dictation>" and "go back", with especially high suspicion on "go back" since this isn't the first time I've had an infinite loop involving that command (which appears to be built-in since I don't see "go back" in KB's global list?). Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot this?

I did manage to get it to throw a trace back by killing Dragon-recognition (the only time available since recognition was endless...), but I don't know if it'll help since it looks like it's just saying the programmatic equivalent of "hey where'd the recognition processor go?".

-------------------------

"Don't argue with people who write with digital ink and pay by the kilowatt-hour." ~ Martin Golding

"Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of the week debugging Monday's code" ~ Dan Salomon

“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” ~ Linus Torvalds

02/01/2021 06:19 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

You're right, the error message you got only tells you that Dragon is no longer there because it either crashed or - in your case - has been shot down.

You could take a look at your Dragon.log file (in %PROGRAMDATA%\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\logs\<YourUsername>.

Perhaps there's a little more information about what was going on before you slew the dragon.

hth,

mav

02/01/2021 06:32 AM

Author Icon
Grandslam

I don't know what the answer is, but I have had the same issue happen a number of times. I have a bunch of similar commands based on the same "template" such as compound <dictation> and it happens intermittently with all of them.

02/01/2021 11:51 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

I also have the same issue and have one application in which it is 100% repeatable - PSPad. It looks like one potential problem command is a KnowBrainer command:
Hyphenate <dictation>

Sub Main
Dim engCtrl As New DgnEngineControl
engCtrl.Register
engCtrl.RecognitionMimic("select " & ListVar1)
engCtrl.RecognitionMimic("hyphenate that")
Wait .5
engCtrl.RecognitionMimic("go back")
engCtrl.UnRegister(False)
End Sub

"Hyphenate That" is probably built into Dragon - this is the one that is giving me problems. It would take some time and effort to code a C# replacement for "Hyphenate That" but could be done. The KnowBrainer command listed above will only work in Select & Say applications. It would take me a lot of time and effort to code a replacement in C#! Modifying the KnowBrainer command by changing the "Wait 0.5" into something on the order of "Wait 1" might help <shrug>.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

02/11/2021 12:39 AM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

So basically it's a "built into Dragon" problem, and I'm not alone/it's reproducible?as far well that's a relief...
I'll give the version you shared try, Edgar, though to be honest I so rarely use this command intentionally (the few times I've gotten stuck in an infinite loop with it whereby accidental invocation trying to use a "-" right after a "break" between dictations). This thread was mostly meant to report the bug, as I've already disabled the offending command that I never use.

"Don't argue with people who write with digital ink and pay by the kilowatt-hour." ~ Martin Golding

"Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of the week debugging Monday's code" ~ Dan Salomon

“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” ~ Linus Torvalds

Statistics
31980 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 531 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 531 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.