KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Custom Global Commands keep disappearing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/03/2019 03:43 AM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Custom Global Commands keep disappearing   - mosslake - 10/03/2019 03:43 AM  
 Custom Global Commands keep disappearing   - mosslake - 10/03/2019 04:03 AM  
 Custom Global Commands keep disappearing   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/03/2019 12:39 PM  
 Custom Global Commands keep disappearing   - Edgar - 10/03/2019 01:38 PM  
Keyword
 10/03/2019 03:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mosslake
Junior Member

Posts: 25
Joined: 11/21/2017

Hi!

I'm facing a very frustrating problem with Knowbrainer at the moment. Because application-specific commands don't work in Brave browser (which I use for privacy reasons), I've been creating the commands I need to use in Brave as global commands. However, I've noticed that these commands don't seem to be saving properly. They work fine and are visible in KB when I've created them, but when I next load up KB they have often disappeared.

I've tried solving this problem by creating a backup before exiting KB, but the new commands aren't even being saved in the backup!

Once at least I've even seen that some custom global commands have disappeared for a few days and then suddenly have reappeared again. It's all rather odd.

Any ideas how to fix this one?

Regards,

Dan



-------------------------
mosslake
 10/03/2019 04:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mosslake
Junior Member

Posts: 25
Joined: 11/21/2017

After further experimentation, I've now at least identified the conditions under which this bug takes effect: If I have already created a global command and then I edit it, that's when it happens - that command will then seem to be saved and working fine, but it no longer saves into backup files, and when I restart no-brainer it will no longer be there. So for now, the simple but slightly time-consuming workaround is that whenever I need to edit a global command, I create a copy of it, make the edit, save it, then delete the original command and rename the copied and edited command back to the name of the original command.



-------------------------
mosslake
 10/03/2019 12:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Posts: 38500
Joined: 10/01/2006

We have run into the same problem but rarely experience it and have no trouble editing commands; sometimes several times. We are always editing (tweaking) commands. We are currently working on a collection of Fill <dictation> commands that will allow us to directly dictate anywhere with no exceptions. It's by no means a replacement for DragonCapture, which doesn't require a trigger command but it should be the next best thing for Direct Dictation. There will quite literally be no place that the Fill <dictation> command can fail.



-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

 10/03/2019 01:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Posts: 1040
Joined: 04/03/2009

I too have seen this but very very rarely. I think what might be happening is that something (likely culprits might be an antivirus software like Windows Defender or Norton; background disk optimization; search indexing etc.) has a temporary lock on the Knowbrainer commands file or its folder. Both the "official" KnowBrainer commands file and its duplicate in the "StatusChanges" are written to immediately when you click the "Save" button in the KnowBrainer Commands Editor. If you make the "Official" commands file "read-only" and try to save a command you get a pop up error message from KnowBrainer and the "official" IS NOT changed but the "status changes" version IS saved. BUT, the Sidebar displays the change (in this case I changed the title/name of the command).

 

I am not going to the trouble to test, but I would assume (probably not a wise idea on my part) that KnowBrainer keeps a copy of its command file in RAM, and (possibly unwisely) assumes that any change to the RAM version have been reflected in both the "official" and "StatusChanges" versions.



-------------------------

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

Statistics
31937 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 485 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 485 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.