Dictating in OneNote   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/07/2019 10:55 AM  
 Dictating in OneNote   - Ric - 11/14/2020 09:57 AM  
 Dictating in OneNote   - Voice - 02/10/2021 02:22 PM  
Keyword
 04/03/2017 03:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CSA1972

I downloaded a trial copy of Knowbrainer software.  I use OneNote a lot and wanted the ability to directly dictate into one note and be able to navigate within the document by voice.  I am unable to do make Corrections or navigate by voice within the document.  For example, I searched on the forum and saw this: 

If you dictate “the brown fox jumped over the fence” in OneNote, you can say Replace <brown fox> with <yellow dog> to change “brown fox” to “yellow dog” with a single command.

I get " the brown fox jumped over the fence" and it hears me say the rest of the command, but nothing happens.

When I dictate "insert before brown fox" I get:

"the brown fox jumped over the fencebefore brown fox"

am I doing something wrong?  Is there a setting I need to change within one note, Dragon, or Knowbrainer?

Thank you for your help.

04/03/2017 05:27 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

Direct OneNote dictation is a bit of a crapshoot. You may be able to freely dictate but if you can't, you can Force Dictate via several KnowBrainer commands including Say <dictation>. Note that because
OneNote is not Dragon friendly, you don't have standard Select-&-Say capabilities which means you cannot utilize native Dragon commands like select <dictation>, delete <dictation> or insert before <dictation> etc. This is where the new KnowBrainer beta pseudo-Select-&-Say commands come in handy. Try substituting the following:

Go Select <dictation> for select <dictation>

Go Delete <dictation> for delete <dictation>
Go Before <dictation> for insert before <dictation>

Also in note that the following commands are not available in the current KnowBrainer installation. You will additionally need to click KnowBrainer Commands to download the latest KnowBrainer 2017 commands. Note that you will need to unzip and copy the latest MyKBCommands.xml file over your existing file at C:\Users\(Your Computer Name)\AppData\Roaming\KnowBrainer\ which will overwrite any commands you have added so please save any personal commands.

PS: You will find details on the latest commands in the KnowBrainer Manual  which will not only give you the ability to delete, select, copy, cut, insert before or after text but can additionally be used to, for example, insert a word and move the cursor back to the end of the current paragraph; making it even more efficient than dictating into a Dragon friendly application. For example to insert the word “brown” before the word “fox” in the following OneNote phrase “the fox jumped over the fence”, say Go Before <fox> followed by saying Say Back <brown> which will type “brown”, add an additional space and simultaneously move the cursor to the end of the current paragraph. It takes a little getting used to but that's how we found the time to answer over 31,000 questions on this forum while pretending to listen to the Big Haired Lady explaining how quickly she can break down and reassemble her AK-47 while blindfolded.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

04/04/2017 09:35 AM

Author Icon
bmac
Top-Tier Member

You might also contact Nuance to suggest that they provide support to OneNote. Yes, most likely a waste of time but I did that many months ago and the rep I spoke with did say they have received a number of requests for this. I use OneNote extensively and really miss this capability.

Bill
DPI 15.61, KB 2017, SpeechStart +, customized Desktop PC (AMD 12 core 9th gen Ryzen 9 3900x@3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDD4 SSD), Crucial 1 TB m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Philips SpeechMike Air 4000, Philips speech Mike 3500, SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike, MS Office 365 Professional and Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7

04/04/2017 12:34 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

It won't help to contact Nuance because it is out of their hands. Microsoft would have to make OneNote Dragon friendly or include the tools to enable speech recognition Select-&-Say and Active Accessibility. You would have make this recommendation to Microsoft which probably won't see the value in speech enabling OneNote since, from their point of view, it wasn't really designed for word processing. As it stands, Microsoft barely supports OneNote and has consider discontinuing it because OneNote is simply not as popular as EverNote. While KnowBrainer supports both EverNote and OneNote, we prefer OneNote because it is smart enough to automatically capitalize the 1st word you type or dictate on every new line. We also prefer the searching capabilities which seem to lend themselves to speech recognition a little more.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

04/04/2017 01:12 PM

Author Icon
bmac
Top-Tier Member

But I wonder why there was no problem previously dictating into Microsoft onenote using DNS version 12.5 and 13? With the advent of DPI 14 & 15, that has been lost.

Bill
DPI 15.61, KB 2017, SpeechStart +, customized Desktop PC (AMD 12 core 9th gen Ryzen 9 3900x@3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDD4 SSD), Crucial 1 TB m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Philips SpeechMike Air 4000, Philips speech Mike 3500, SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike, MS Office 365 Professional and Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7

04/04/2017 01:49 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

When Nuance released Ver. 13+, they deliberately disabled the ability for Dragon to dictate into non-Dragon friendly applications. As we have stated before, it's a crap shoot. We can often directly Dumb Dictate into OneNote, using DPI 15 but we cannot count on this feature being available. Nuance wants you to use the automatic pop-up Dictation Box which has advantages and disadvantages. In other words Nuance went out of their way to make it more difficult. Our best guess is that he would cut down on phone support calls but from our perspective, it could create even more.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/01/2019 11:16 PM

Author Icon
PhysicalTherapi..

Lunis, I googled "Big Haired Lady explaining how quickly she can break down and reassemble her AK-47 while blindfolded", but couldn't find the video. Can you post a link?
 07/09/2019 12:07 AM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

I'm new here at the KnowBrainer forums [*], and am connecting some dots.

I want to use [actually, return to the using] speech recognition on my PC.

But I depend on OneNote [at least until I find something better (not EverNote, although maybe if they hired me I could make EverNote more useful)]

Dragon is restricted to using the Dictation Box for OneNote.

Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) is not as restricted... Well, perhaps it is equally restricted, but at least it doesn't use an ugly dictation box.

Anyway, I am considering trying to use both Dragon and WSR, switching between the two. Elsewhere in the KnowBrainer forums user TigerFeet post macros to actively switch between Dragon and WSR.

I'm just posting a link to this here because it seems relevant to those of us who are trying to use OneNote with speech recognition.

---

Also: the first thing I do when I start using speech with an app that doesn't come with great support preinstalled is to go through the keyboard shortcuts and create speech commands for those which I think I am likely to use.

E.g. the OneNote keyboard shortcuts at this link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/keyboard-shortcuts-in-onenote-for-windows-44b8b3f4-c274-4bcc-a089-e80fdcc87950

E.g. the following shortcut is one of the first that I put into Dragon Pro:

Go to the next page in the section.

Ctrl+PAGE Down

The keyboard shortcut description suggests the voice command that I should use.

Q: has anyone written a fairly good set of such voice commands for OneNote? If so, I'd love to save myself some time.

---

Note *: I am new to KnowBrainer, and I just (re)purchased Dragon 15 a short while ago.

But I used Dragon many years ago, in the 1990s. I think I still have a Dragon 5 box somewhere around my office, and that wasn't the first version I used. My motivation to use speech remains the same: computeritis, pain caused by typing and especially mousing. I stopped using Dragon years ago (a) because it annoyed my cubicle neighbors, (b) because my computeritis improved by things like trackballs and physical therapy and (c) because I started doing pair programming, which greatly reduced the amount of email, as well as typing workload. However, my computeritis flared up over the last two years, at a company that [A] did not encourage pair programming, and used email in a manner reminiscent of SUN in the .com era. I'm not can saying that this company uses email excessively, just that using email that much and in that way, especially using Outlook, is not friendly to my computeritis. Probably also [c] because my increasing use of an iPhone to read email and slack and other stuff really hurt my hands.

I bought Dragon Pro because the last time I use Dragon you had to buy the Pro version to get user-defined commands.

I might not purchased Dragon Pro if I had known about KnowBrainer scripting.

Also, I did not know that WSR has macro support now - TigerFeet's post has pointed me to that.

I have not yet tried TigerFeet's macros, but plan to soon. I just quit my last employer, and I'm taking a break of about a month before my next job begins, during which I want to "sharpen the saw" by resuscitating things like speech recognition that help me avoid my computeritis in the past. I may also try to return to using primarily my Windows PC, even though I remain a great fan of mobile devices and Linux.

If anyone else is in a similar situation, and has worked out how to best use speech recognition with OneNote, I'd love to hear about it.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

07/09/2019 12:51 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

Forget about WSR because it is extremely outdated, you won't need it and it is simply not worth bothering with. DPI 15.3 has certain limitations that are greatly assisted by various third-party Dragon utilities such as DragonCapture and KnowBrainer 2017. DragonCapture forces Dragon to directly dictate into any application via a built-in fully automatic Dictation Box, that you can make invisible. If you go with the default settings, DragonCapture will make it seem like you can directly dictate anywhere. You won't have Dragon Select-&-Say but you will have automatic proper capitalization, spacing etc. DragonCapture is ideally suited to raw dictation but KnowBrainer 2017 is better at editing and correcting. KnowBrainer 2017 is chock-full of OneNote commands because we only recently replaced it with EverNote, which works even better. Our only problem with OneNote is Microsoft's insistence on trashing a great utility by requiring you to use it on their cloud. Every time we reopen OneNote, it creates a new unwanted note and there are a number of other undesirables. We recommend taking a 30 day trial of KnowBrainer 2017 and DragonCapture to fix your current problems and if you ever decide to switch to EverNote, we have that covered also.

KnowBrainer also includes simplified VBA Advanced-Scripting command capability for 
KnowBrainer and Dragon, with our patented Voice Command writing toolbox. However, Larry Allen's Scripting for Dragon is the Bible for learning how to create commands in Dragon.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/28/2019 03:39 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

By the way, why did you switch from OneNote to Evernote? I've used both. Both have problems.

My main worry about Evernote is that the company gives every sign of being about to fail. And/or increasingly ask for constant payment, a subscription model. Whereas Microsoft, while not exactly supporting OneNote full force is unlikely to fail and seems to be supporting it more and more, although switching to the web-based form from Outlook 2016 has lost a few features that have not yet been restored.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

08/28/2019 04:39 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We only use the free version of EverNote and have no interest in cloud options; which incidentally, was our reason to switch from OneNote to Evernote. Microsoft stopped supporting a local installation and required cloud use. We had a difficult time finding our previous notes and every time we launched OneNote, it would create a new note that needed to be removed.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

10/07/2019 10:04 AM

Author Icon
andrewnward

I noticed it when the dictation box appears whilst entering text into OneNote, there is a checkbox at the bottom "use automatic dictation box for this application". If I uncheck this box then I can dictate directly into OneNote without having to go through the dictation box. However as stated above none of the correction options are available as they might be in Outlook or Word. That is what is stated above but I thought it was a useful option for those who might be looking for this.

Andy
 10/07/2019 10:55 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Our preference is to prevent the Dragon Dictation Box from appearing anywhere, by removing the checkmark from User Dictation Box for unsupported applications, which you will find the Dragon options Miscellaneous tab.

Note that when your cursor is in OneNote that the DragonBar green disappears. This means that you are dictating or attempting to dictate into a non-Dragon friendly application. Think of this is Dumb Dictation where Dragon doesn't automatically know when to capitalize the 1st letter of the 1st word (fortunately OneNote does) or select text (Full Text Control) are lots of other features that you will have in Outlook.

The Dictation Box is not required for correcting, as explained in our 1st post in this thread. If you would like additional information, please check out our 1st post in this thread.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/14/2020 09:57 AM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

re: "Microsoft stopped supporting a local installation and required cloud use." == They actually do support it now. I use a local (non-cloud) version of it all the time. So if that was your only reason for leaving onenote, come on back! :-)

Ric M

02/10/2021 02:22 PM

Author Icon
Voice

One other possibility for a speech friendly information manager is https://www.zootsoftware.com/. It's designed to work with Dragon and can be navigated/used purely by voice. It does have a learning curve, but might be worth trying out (90-day trial period I think). It's not perfect, but I've been pretty happy with it.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » KnowBrainer Software and Support » Dictating in OneNote

Statistics
31980 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 541 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 541 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.