KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Instructions for Installing Python 3 v of Natlink Aren't Quite Working
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/29/2021 02:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 05/29/2021 02:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Anders

I'm trying to install the Python 3 version of natlink/Vocola and Caster, and I’m a bit stuck.

I started by using the "installation experimental python3" instructions:

https://qh.antenna.nl/unimacro/installation/installationexperimentalversionpython3.html

Although this didn't work:

git clone ictation-toolbox/natlink.git">git@github.comictation-toolbox/natlink.git Natlink

this did:

git clone https://github.com/dictation-toolbox/natlink.git Natlink

The next instruction says:

Change directory to C:\DT\Natlink\ConfigureNatlink

But the Natlink folder doesn't contain a folder called ConfigureNatlink.

Just to be sure I hadn't messed up something, I went to the repo on GitHub, and I didn't see the folder there either.  I also noticed that the README, which had been updated a few days ago used a different approach: pipping from the Test Python Packaging Index. 

That worked like a dream.  However, the README says next to do the following:

"This will install the packages in your Python site-packages area. It will also add the following commands, which should be in your path now in your commmand prompt:

natlinkconfigfunctions

natlinkstatus

startnatlinkconfig

Run startnatlinkconfig to configure Natlink."

But when I tried:

startnatlinkconfig

It said:

'startnatlinkconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

So, two questions:

1) How do I get startnatlinkconfig to work?

2) How do I install Caster?  The instructions on the experimental install page assume that there's a ConfigureNatlink folder, and there isn't.  And the instructions on Caster's README page say you need to use Python 2.7, and to actually install Caster it says:

Install dependencies and set up Natlink by running Caster/Install_Caster_DNS-WSR.bat.

Note: For this to work correctly, Python must be installed to C:/Python27 *

So what do I need to do?

Thanks!

Anders

07/25/2021 03:54 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Now I've got the same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?  At one point, I did get the Natlink configuration GUI to work, configured everything, and rebooted, but am getting all sorts of errors in the Natlink window and Vocola isn't working.

Very frustrating.

07/30/2021 09:51 AM

Author Icon
LexiconCode

Sorry I didn't see this as I haven't visited the forms in a while.

Test Python Packaging Index package/or the main repository was never meant for end-users to install but for developers to test. Natlink has taken quite some time to port mainly because in issues very old configuration with Visual Studio and challenges in the C/C++ code that needed to be updated. It was important that we can get Nalink to compile reliably. A very big thanks to Doug and Quintijn further work on this!

I've been utilizing natlink with Python 3-32 bit for some time. However it wasn't until the last few days ago that some major bugs were fixed and released in a way that was easy for people to install. A natlink pip package has been published. However they have not made an official release as there is still some cleaning up to do. I would like to give it a week or so before I actually publish documentation supporting Python 3 for Dragon. During that time I'm working with people in the Dictation Toolbox community to test natlink. We've already found a few bugs but nothing that's a showstopper yet. All that is to say you're welcome to give the try and definitely let me know if you run into anything.

These instructions work for any natlink based project like dragonfly or caster.

Preinstall requirements
- DPI 15 or derivative of the same version
- Python 3.8.X 32 bit is required.
- Make sure any previous versions of Natlink are unregistered and uninstalled. (Dragon must be close during that process)
- Delete caster settings in user directory
- (optionally) If you have tried the the Natlink test package and/or main Natlink repository make sure there's no remnants derivatives of Natlink in the site packages of Python.

Natlink Install Instructions

1. close Dragon
2. open cmd/power shell **as administrator**
3. `pip install natlink`
4. `natlinkconfig_cli` # should auto setup and register itself.
5. type `n` C:\Backup\Library\Documents\Caster' to set the natlink user directory. Modify to wherever
6. restart Dragon

Extra commands if needed
-  type `u` for to see commandline options
- type `r` or `R` to register/unregister natlink
- type `e` or `E` - enable/disable Natlink
- type `n` or `N` to set/clear the natlink user directory

Info
-  If natlink is properly registered `natlink.pyd` file path location stored `C:\Users\Your-User\.natlink` or `DICTATIONTOOLBOXUSER\.natlink` environment variable`.

Troubleshooting Please post here if you have any issues.
On non-administrator accounts:
- You may need to manually set or delete natlink.pyd as administrator
- Running terminal as administrator changes the user account causing a mismatch between user directories between administrator/non-administrator. This impacts where your settings are stored for natlink.
    - Fix:- Create an OS environment variable DICTATIONTOOLBOXUSER pointing to a directory to store `.natlink`. After upgrading to natlink 5.1.2 and run natlinkconfig_cli. if needed "r" re-register.

Fixed in 5.1.1
- issues  No module named 'natlinkmain'
**Workaround**: edit registry editing described here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66876756/registry-and-module-error-installing-natlink-python-38-on-windows-10
**fix**: Changes are being made so doesn't rely on the Windows registry.

- I'm not sure of Vocola or Unimacro Python 3 status at this time.

07/30/2021 11:02 AM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Thanks! Someone else told me about the new pip install of Natlink a day or so ago, and I've used it. I had one problem both times I used it:

No module named 'natlinkmain'

I was able to resolve the problem by using the registry editing described here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66876756/registry-and-module-error-installing-natlink-python-38-on-windows-10

Enabling Vocola or Unimacro causes problems, but I believe I have Caster working appropriately.

Thanks again.  Let me know if I can be of any help.

07/30/2021 11:09 AM

Author Icon
LexiconCode

I confirm that's a known issue and will be fixed soon.
Fixed in 5.1.1

08/25/2021 06:58 PM

Author Icon
forcequit

Hi, I've been trying to install natlink but get a
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement natlink (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for natlink
when attempting to pip install.

Attempting to resolve directly from git is an issue because I don't believe there are wheels and I cannot locally build for some reason. Any advice why I can't get the install?
 09/05/2021 10:49 AM

Author Icon
LexiconCode

Are you using Python 32 bit or 64-bit??

Statistics
32106 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 436 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 436 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.