Click-by-voice problems   - mdl - 11/26/2021 01:39 PM  
 Click-by-voice problems   - mdl - 11/26/2021 01:41 PM  
 Click-by-voice problems   - kkkwj - 11/27/2021 08:53 PM  
Keyword
 07/27/2018 04:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
debdrex

I've been using click-by-voice in chrome and have run into enough problems that I had to stop using it. I frequently work on webpages that end up having well over four hundred clicks. Depending on the setup of the page I could usually get around that by moving the mouse around and clicking. The pages that I work on are at MusicBrainz and have tons of very small radio buttons. I found that the click-by-voice buttons cover the radio buttons and so I have no way to click them. Sometimes I've been able to squeak my cursor around enough to find a blank spot but in the past few weeks I've lost data because I got to the upper numbers and there was no way to activate the radio button.

The other problem took me longer to figure out. In the months that I've been using the program I was encountering errors entering passwords or financial information into more secure pages. They just wouldn't work, with no message telling me why. I would switch to another browser and do fine. Finally, this week, I went to a music site that I hadn't been to in a while and a sub menu was dropping down over information that I wanted to access but couldn't unless I went to a different browser.

I followed Google's instructions about how to troubleshoot, found that the problem didn't occur when I was in incognito mode and set about checking extensions as directed. It was the click-by-voice extension that was causing the problems.

At this point I'm trying to use SpeechStart + with Firefox and having a different set of problems which you can read about in another post.

If anyone's come up with ways to deal with these problems with click-by-voice I'd love to hear about them. For the most part I really love the application.

07/27/2018 05:46 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

While the MDL's complementary Click By Voice Google Chrome extension offers cool additional features it isn't perfect for all scenarios, as you have noted.

SHOW Numbers
is the 1st generation of SpeechStart+ Mouseless Browsing (for lack of a better term). You will find a lot of variations in of these numbers in your SpeechStart+ options while KnowBrainer includes a more limited version which is referred to as DISPLAY Numbers. The reason why we are pointing this out is because the future release of KnowBrainer 2019 and more to the point, SpeechStart+ (which will be renamed) will be releasing the 2nd generation that is very different from the current version, should work in any window (including Google Chrome) and introduce a host of new features and improvements. You may not find a better current workaround but we have been aware of the problem for several years and working on a much better solution.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/27/2018 07:54 PM

Author Icon
debdrex

Huh! So I guess I have to wait a while for this to be working? Are we talking the beginning or the end of 2019? Well, thanks for your reply, Lunis.

07/27/2018 09:33 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Although I love Click by Voice I did notice problems on some pages as well. In that case it is best to temporarily disable the extension with a voice command and afterwards enable it again with the same voice command :-)

For the most recent Chrome version (68.0.3440.75) I have created a DVC voice command (mind the difference in grammar and wait times which is in milliseconds!) To disable the extension.

Click by Voice is the third on my extensions page, hence the Tab 10 (your mileage may vary and if you use developer mode you may have to at some more Tabs):

SendKeys "{Ctrl+t}"

Wait 300

SendKeys "chrome://extensions/"

Wait 500

SendKeys "{Enter}"

Wait 300

SendKeys "{Tab 10}"

Wait 500

SendKeys "{Enter}"

Wait 500

SendKeys "{Ctrl+w}"

Wait 400

SendKeys "{F5}"

You can probably shorten the wait times, I use much shorter ones on my system.

To reenable the extension you can simply repeat this voice command.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

07/28/2018 01:13 PM

Author Icon
debdrex

Thank you diligence! I've been using the KnowBrainer command "Extensions" and then muddling through pressing buttons. Your command is working wonderfully and makes the process much simpler! I had to add some extra wait time (1 sec instead of 0.3) before 

SendKeys "{Tab 10}"

but was able to leave everything else as is.

08/04/2018 06:30 AM

Author Icon
BillMiller823
Top-Tier Member

Thank you diligence and debdrex.

The top three lines are KnowBrainer's "extensions" command, but the below script seems to freeze Dragon after successfully executing the top three lines.

SendKeys "%f"
Wait 0.2
SendKeys "le"
Wait 1
SendKeys "{Tab 10}"
Wait 0.5
SendKeys "{Enter}"
Wait 0.5
SendKeys "^w"
Wait 0.4
SendKeys "{F5}"

I put that in KnowBrainer.

Any ideas what might be happening?

Bill Miller :-)
C1-2 Quadriplegic with a 255 High Bowling Game
Co-founder of Manufacturing Genuine Thrills Inc.
Business website: http://www.ikanbowler.com
Personal website: http://www.lookmomnohands.net

08/04/2018 11:55 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: BillMiller823 SendKeys "{Tab 10}"

This may well be a timing issue. It works just fine on my new system but on my old system I often needed to do something like:

For iteration = 1 To 10

SendKeys "{Tab}", 1

Next iteration

or even:

For iteration = 1 To 10

SendKeys "{Tab}", 1

Wait 0.1' this value might need to be adjusted upwards if your computer is slow

Next iteration

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

08/04/2018 02:10 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

It looks like you're mixing up legacy DVC scripting with VBA scripting. Wait 1000 is equivalent to a 1 second pause in a DVC script but equivalent to 1000 seconds (16.67 minutes) in modern KnowBrainer or Dragon scripting. In other words Dragon isn't freezing. It is simply waiting 1000 seconds before moving on. Try changing Wait 1000 to Wait 1 and Wait 500 to Wait 0.5 or better yet, use VerbalBasic. For example, when you say Code Wait <1>, KnowBrainer will move the cursor to the end of the current line, create a new line and type Wait 1. Think lazy...

PS: We hope you don't mind but went ahead and edited your command, in green, so that it will hopefully work.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

08/04/2018 04:58 PM

Author Icon
debdrex

While trying to work out the problems I've been having with CbV, I found myself at the README page for the app:

https://github.com/mdbridge/click-by-voice/blob/master/README.md

which I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't read when I first installed it. I should have, because mdbridge has actually created commands within the app to solve just about every problem that we've been having.

I see that Mark mentioned this here:

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=25&threadid=30711&enterthread=y

I'm sure others have mentioned it but since I've repeatedly missed it I thought I'd say something again.

Debbie

08/05/2018 12:21 AM

Author Icon
BillMiller823
Top-Tier Member

Hahaha – I have to laugh at myself – I can't believe I didn't have the patience to wait roughly 40 minutes for the command to work! :-)

Thanks Lunis, it's working beautifully now. :-)

Bill Miller :-)
C1-2 Quadriplegic with a 255 High Bowling Game
Co-founder of Manufacturing Genuine Thrills Inc.
Business website: http://www.ikanbowler.com
Personal website: http://www.lookmomnohands.net

11/26/2021 01:31 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

Debdrex wrote:

I frequently work on webpages that end up having well over four hundred clicks. Depending on the setup of the page I could usually get around that by moving the mouse around and clicking. The pages that I work on are at MusicBrainz and have tons of very small radio buttons. I found that the click-by-voice buttons cover the radio buttons and so I have no way to click them. Sometimes I've been able to squeak my cursor around enough to find a blank spot but in the past few weeks I've lost data because I got to the upper numbers and there was no way to activate the radio button.

It can be hard to use any of the various element-labeling technologies

with extremely dense banks of radio buttons or other clickable elements.

One of my workplaces internal applications, for example, has a grid of

little boxes, each representing a task that you can click on to select.

Click-by-voice has options that will let you offset the numbers to make

it easier to see the underlying radio box state, but that's not very

effective in such banks.  You could also set up hints so only the radio

boxes are getting hinted, which would cut down on the number of digits

in the hints hopefully if the bank isn't too large.

The easiest workarounds I can think of right now are:

* turn off hints, focus your eye on the box you want to click, turn on

hints and watch what number appears, then activate that hint.  This will

not work if there are so many hints that the hint numbers overlap,

unfortunately.

* turn off hints and just use MouseGrid or equivalent program to do the

activation.

Possible workarounds I could try building:

* option to use smaller hint font so when combined with zoom the hint

numbers don't overlap

* option to show only even or odd numbers

11/26/2021 01:39 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

Debdrex wrote:

The other problem took me longer to figure out. In the months that I've been using the program I was encountering errors entering passwords or financial information into more secure pages. They just wouldn't work, with no message telling me why. I would switch to another browser and do fine. Finally, this week, I went to a music site that I hadn't been to in a while and a sub menu was dropping down over information that I wanted to access but couldn't unless I went to a different browser.

This is likely due to the application detecting changes to the DOM,

possibly as a security measure.  It's annoying that it's not providing

you with any useful error message.

You can either turn off hints entirely for these particular pages, or

try using a less disturbing method of providing hints.  The experimental

mode "of" uses overlays put at the end of the DOM, which usually does

not disturb applications.  Downside is that there's a certain amount of

flicker currently as you move around -- the overlays don't get

recalculated instantly -- and sometimes covered up elements are still

hinted.

11/26/2021 01:41 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

(I have a new version of click-by-voice being reviewed by Alphabet; hopefully it will disturb applications less because it does not actually insert text into the DOM)
 11/27/2021 08:53 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

For my two bits, this option you suggested seems like a good one to me: "* option to show only even or odd numbers." I would extend the option to show only 1 in 5 too since it's pretty easy visually to "see" and pick and speak an offset that is 1 in 5 spaces. I do it all the time with 1 in 10 "%-of-screen-width/height" numbers, and rarely miss. So 1 in 5 should be really simple, especially in grids that have cells of uniform size. It also sounds like a relatively easy software fix - just increment the display loop by 5 on every cycle.

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

Statistics
32285 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 528 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 528 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.