KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: is there a USB hub/adapter device that that can plug into an outlet as an additional power source?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/15/2021 01:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 05/15/2021 01:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I'm about to expose my ignorance of electronics with this question, but...

When my laptop is fully docked, I have it plugged in to a heavy-duty microphone and a a foot pedal and a Bluetooth dongle. All of these devices are pulling their electricity from my laptop. Ever since I started using Dragon full time, it seems like my laptop battery life has gone way down. I replaced it recently, but even with the new battery is not what it was. May be coincidence, maybe not, but...

Now I am wondering if there is a USB hub that  you can plug into an electrical outlet as well as plugging into your laptop, so that devices can pull the electricity they need from a source other than my laptop.

Or, some other way to address my dictation-related anxieties about my peripherals killing my laptop battery.

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

05/15/2021 04:58 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

A powered USB hub isn't going to extend your computer's battery life. If your notebook computer is near an AC outlet, use the outlet to power your computer. 

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/16/2021 03:13 AM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

>> If your notebook computer is near an AC outlet, use the outlet to power your computer.

I certainly do that, but...

>> A powered USB hub isn't going to extend your computer's battery life

What I'm wondering is... Why not? My devices display flashing lights on them, powered by my poor laptop. Wouldn't it be great if a USB hub plugged into the wall gave the power needed to display an "on" light, rather than turning laptops into powerstrips? From the perspective of conserving battery life, ideally the nature of the connection between our peripherals and our laptops would be purely about data transfer rather than data transfer + power supply.

You sound certain in your answer so I'll assume you're correct, but I am looking to understand what is happening to my laptop's battery as I run all these dictation-related devices through it.

Compare my setup to somebody who's using my same model laptop, but does not need to plug in a bulky microphone or a foot pedal device--what kind of toll is this "normal" usage taking on their laptop's battery life compared to mine? Is the drain on electricity coming from my foot pedal/microphone trivial? What are the long-term consequences on laptop battery life after months and years of having these kinds of devices plugged in most of the time?

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

05/16/2021 12:11 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

As far as I know, all USB 3.0 hubs, if properly implemented, have power cords to the wall. So yes, they are available. (Mine all have cords.) The reason is that the USB 3.0 spec requires the hub to deliver a certain amount of power through each port, so if you have more ports, you need more power than any laptop USB port can provide.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

Statistics
32110 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 388 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 388 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.