Just curious   - kkkwj - 05/28/2021 11:43 PM  
 Just curious   - Ag - 06/15/2021 10:12 PM  
Keyword
 05/28/2021 04:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JWarren

Hi all,

Just curious as to how long this website has existed, seems like a treasure trove for Dragon users.
J

05/28/2021 11:14 AM

Author Icon
Zig
Top-Tier Member

Ever since Lunis got kicked off the Nuance forum (no longer in existence) for mentioning  the Knowbrainer product in his signature (2006 or before).

Zig

05/28/2021 03:14 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Zig Ever since Lunis got kicked off the Nuance forum (no longer in existence) for mentioning the existence of Knowbrainer in his signature (2006 or before).

Zig

Which would equate to Lunis being a manifestation of multiple reincarnations. And sometimes I can't help thinking that he actually is, in some ways.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

05/28/2021 12:05 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Wow. 2006. And Nuance was censoring Lunis back then. I'm sure glad that Lunis doesn't censor so much on this site. I think letting the various vendors describe their products is a wonderful policy that contributes to the community. Credit to Lunis for supporting that policy.

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

05/28/2021 12:18 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

This is actually the 2nd (replacement) KnowBrainer Forum which came out in 2006. Our original forum debuted in 1999

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/28/2021 02:04 PM

Author Icon
MDH
Top-Tier Member

" Our original forum debuted in 1999"

Lunis, did you ever see a live dinosaur, or maybe fresh footprints?

MDH

05/28/2021 06:02 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: JWarren Hi all,

… seems like a treasure trove for Dragon users. J

Until you realise that 80% of it is bullshit ...

05/28/2021 07:14 PM

Author Icon
Zig
Top-Tier Member

"Until you realise that 80% of it is bullshit ..."

Harsh, Lindsay.
Zig

05/29/2021 12:33 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Zig "Until you realise that 80% of it is bullshit ..."

Harsh, Lindsay. Zig

Possibly Zig but at least we are free to express our opinion which is a credit to Lunis.

05/29/2021 01:37 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: monkey8
Originally posted by: Zig "Until you realise that 80% of it is bullshit ..."

Harsh, Lindsay. Zig

Possibly Zig but at least we are free to express our opinion which is a credit to Lunis.

80%, on a good day. But it tends to be worse.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

05/28/2021 11:43 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

I learned long ago in life that you usually had to wade through some stuff to hunt for the 20% that is useful. Actually, in my experience, 20% is a pretty good yield, if that is what the number really is. :-)

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

06/15/2021 10:12 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Most forums have a lot of cruft. not just incorrect stuff, but often obsolete stuff. To reduce the cruft ratio, it must be curated. I.e. you have to be able to go and delete the incorrect and obsolete stuff, and organize the redundant stuff. It's the sort of thing that wikis were created to do. But it takes a lot of work.

WARNING: I have written way too much crap here myself. This sort of thing is near and dear to my heart, I'm an open source wiki type of guy, and in my dreams I retire and build Memex. I want to create such a curated wiki for speech BKMs (Best Known Methods), probably in GitHub where I get not only the wiki but also a pretty good way to organize code contributions. I am writing this to invite feedback, and potentially also collaborators in developing such a resource.

--- TL; DR --- excessive detail

Most forums have a lot of cruft. not just incorrect stuff, but often obsolete stuff. To reduce the cruft ratio, it must be curated. I.e. you have to be able to go and delete the incorrect and obsolete stuff, and organize the redundant stuff. It's the sort of thing that wikis were created to do. But it takes a lot of work.

E.g. reddit. For us really old guys, USENET newsgroups.

stack overflow etc. is moderately better, but even that ...

To reduce the cruft ratio, it must be curated. I.e. you have to be able to go and delete the incorrect and obsolete stuff, and organize the redundant stuff. It's the sort of thing that wikis were created to do. But that takes a lot of work.

Hard enough for a single user, curating his own stuff. Vannevar Bush "As We May Think" Memex.

Harder still for a single person acting as editor or creator of a wiki generated by multiple people. while I want to create such speech recognition GitHub wiki and code repos, I know that it becomes good it will be a lot of work, son try to figure out how to make it easier.

More reasonable for a community, e.g. Wikipedia, but if it is open to anybody on the web, bad guys mess things up. You can mostly prevent the bad guys from getting in by having authentication, a login system. But even just maintaining a login system is a lot of work. I know, I tried, and have essentially given up except for inside company wikis. I'm almost ready to try again, but probably only for a really limited group of contributors. Not because I want to be elitist, but because I want to minimize the work and not spend too much time looking for vandalism.

Look at how much time the Wikipedia editors devote to finding crap, e.g. crap added by US senators to their Wikipedia pages, e.g. crap added by companies. Look at how many tools they have to monitor and detect malicious crap.

and then, when you have community editing and curation, you get members of the community fighting with each other. That can be quite unpleasant.

Tech support, even just maintaining a wiki, running backups, ensuring that it is patched for security problems, is a pain.

Community wikis really need some sort of copyright assignment. Or at least Creative Commons. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights. And of course if somebody uploads some stuff that they don't have copyright to, the administrators need to go and remove it Several World Wide Web community wikis have run aground on intellectual property issues. More work, and sometimes stuff that you have to do RIGHT NOW because of the legal issues.

It would be nice to use some sort of wiki service, so professionals can maintain the wiki software, ensuring patches and backups. There are a few such wikis, but mostly commercial, and I'm cheap.

GitHub is the closest thing to a free wiki. Not just wiki, but also good code sharing. Even GitHub, although professionally maintained by Microsoft, has had multiple security issues. the best thing about the GitHub wiki and/or code repositories is that it is based on the git DVCS, so everybody can clone, make changes, and submit pull requests. But even managing pull requests is a pain...

...everything is a pain, or at least will be until I get really efficient with speech recognition. It was a lot easier when I could type really fast. ... but probably also when I was younger I had no social life, so I spent way too much time doing this crap. Now I continue to have no social life, but I do have a family.

I am not a big fan of the wiki software on GitHub sucks.

(1) it's not open source - surprisingly since GitHub is a home of so many open source projects.

(2) I really want copy/paste of bitmap images. yes: I am too lazy to upload files separately and then link to them. Plus, it really wants to be object-oriented: wiki pages that contain images should be archives, with a text fork and whatever other resources are present. so you can move such pages around without.

I sometimes wish that there was and Atlassian Confluence public wiki, but that would be a proprietary format.

(3) at least when you can the wiki, you have almost guaranteed survivability if something like GitHub closes down. GitHub supports many, many wiki syntaxes, which makes migration more complicated, although not that bad if you limit yourself to a small subset many GitHub specific feature

(4) editing the GitHub wikis online is possible, but don't do anything big. the inside web browser edit box is not automatically backed up, and I have lost far too much data that way. I always think that is going to be a short edit, and it becomes big.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Website Comments » Just curious

Statistics
32307 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 448 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 448 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.