KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to set the capitalization of dictated text following text that was inserted with a command?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/16/2022 05:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 01/16/2022 05:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I have a command used for writing screenplays in Fountain called "new character <dictation>" that basically goes like this:

SendKeys "{Enter 2}"
SendKeys UCase ListVar1
SendKeys "{Enter}"

The idea is that if I utter "new character John" then the output will be 2 linebreaks, JOHN, and then 1 more line break.

Now, after this command, I want the following text--which is uttered normally, rather than through a command – to be capitalized like the beginning of a sentence would be.

JOHN
This is my next sentence

However, unless I manually say "cap" to capitalize the first word of the next utterance, this is what I get:

JOHN
this is my next sentence

I see that elsewhere on the forum, people have controlled the capitalization of utterances following commands by using HeardWord "\cap"

This works, but it's slow. If I start dictating speech quickly after the command, then the HeardWord doesn't always register.

Is there some other way to control capitalization?

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

01/16/2022 07:09 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Assuming you are using KnowBrainer 2017 or 2020 this capability is built into the Line <dictation> command. Our approach would be to dictate “John” followed by dictating Line <this is my next sentence> which presses {Enter} and types “This is my next sentence”. The advantage is that your cursor does not have to be at the end of the word “John”. This is simply a different approach which you may or may not find appealing.

Perhaps an even easier solution, which does not require a command, would be to change Dragon's Vocabulary Editor Inline new line command properties to work like the new paragraph command; which in our opinion, should have been the default setting. After you make this change, you can say “John new line this is my next sentence” to produce the following:

John
This is my next sentence

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/16/2022 08:34 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Whenever I create a new profile, I always change the properties of "new line" so that the first letter of the next word is capitalized. Do this, and then try the following modified version your script. It seems to work reliably and quickly:

Sub Main
SendKeys "{Enter 2}"
SendKeys UCase ListVar1
HeardWord "\new-line"
End Sub

Nuance regularly changes the HeardWord syntax of "words" with spoken forms only such as "new line," "cap," etc. The above will work in Dragon Individual 15.61, but no guarantees this syntax will be correct in the next version of Dragon... Assuming there will be a next version, given that Microsoft is taking over the shop!
Statistics
32285 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 408 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 408 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.