Bug in MyCommands Editor?   - Alan Cantor - 08/06/2021 08:24 AM  
 Bug in MyCommands Editor?   - R. Wilke - 08/06/2021 05:36 AM  
 Bug in MyCommands Editor?   - Alan Cantor - 08/05/2021 09:56 PM  
Keyword
 08/05/2021 11:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I would be curious to know whether others can replicate this strange behaviour. It seems to occur when copying text:

1. Create a new script in the Command Browser

2. Set to "Advanced Scripting"

3. In the script pane, type a word, select it, and copy.

4. Paste to confirm the word is still in the clipboard.

5. Place the cursor anywhere in a line of code. Make sure nothing is selected.

6. Copy by pressing Ctrl + C, or by right-clicking and choosing "Copy" from the context menu. (Nothing should get copied as no text has been selected.)

7. Paste.

Observed behaviour: Copying text when nothing is selected copies the entire line.

Expected behaviour: Copying text when nothing is selected should not modify the clipboard.

You might (reasonably!) ask why I am issuing a copy command when nothing is selected. The reason: it's a standard macro scripting technique for testing whether anything is selected. I use an AutoHotkey script that performs one action when text is selected, and another action when text is not selected. This AHK script works in every other application and context I have tried, but fails in My Commands Editor because of this unusual behaviour.

08/05/2021 11:26 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

When dictating text, in any non-100% Dragon friendly environment, like for example Microsoft OneNote, if you press {Ctrl+c} without selecting text, you are simply copying the last phrase you dictated, which is still in Dragon's buffer. We concur that this is an odd behavior

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

08/05/2021 12:20 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

you are simply copying the last phrase you dictated, which is still in Dragon's buffer. We concur that this is an odd behavior

Which is more likely related to DragonCapture, because in a non-Dragon friendly app, Dragon's buffer (if it even exists) should be empty by design.

Please verify by temporarily switching off DragonCapture completely (by hiding the box and removing the check mark in "Allow AutoPaste when hidden") and then testing again.

Many thanks in advance. If it turns out that DragonCapture is indeed responsible for this, we might discuss taking care of it in the next update. If it really is a problem.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

08/05/2021 02:07 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I'm not running DragonCapture, so this issue isn't related to it.

I posted a question on an AutoHotkey forum, and receiving a response that other applications exhibit the same, peculiar behaviour.

Populating the clipboard without the user's involvement is a bizarre thing for an application to do. I think it's a bug, not a feature!
 08/05/2021 06:06 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Alan Cantor ...     

I posted a question on an AutoHotkey forum, ...

Assuming this link was your question, Alan, I wonder if you could be inadvertently activating "Ctrl-Alt-C" in some situations.

!W::

clipboard := ""

SendInput ^c

Return

Hotkeys such as above can be "situationally" problematic in my own limited experience.  That "Alt" key is often the culprit.   

The workaround might be using "!w Up" as your initial hotkey, at least some of the times.

08/06/2021 08:24 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

The workaround might be using "!w Up" as your initial hotkey, at least some of the times.

I found a workaround. When text is not selected in the Script pane, cutting does not modify the clipboard. So I changed copy (Ctrl + c) to cut (Ctrl + x) in my AHK script. So far, so good.

08/06/2021 05:36 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I'm not running DragonCapture, so this issue isn't related to it.

I am aware that DragonCapture doesn't come into play in your situation, and my message wasn't meant as a reply to your particular issue. It was merely a comment on what Lunis said with regards to Dragon operating in non-supported applications.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

08/05/2021 09:56 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Thank you, ax, for pointing this out. One could spend a lifetime learning the subtleties of the scripting tool like AutoHotkey.

I don't think it's the source of the problem: manually pressing Ctrl + c while editing an Advanced Scripting command causes the line to be copied, even when AutoHotkey is not in the mix. Nevertheless, I'm going to keep a copy of your message in my AutoHotkey notes. I can imagine the idea you introduced could prove handy in the future.

I doubt reporting this issue as a bug will lead anywhere positive. My guess is that a small handful of users worldwide would even notice this quirk. As I've been using the same AutoHotkey script for years, my guess is that the problem was introduced to Dragon relatively recently. The script pane was changed not long ago. For example, the pane now supports the ability to zoom in and out. Maybe that's when Ctrl + c began to copy an entire line.

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 374 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 374 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.