KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Changing a Dragon vocab command ('enter' instead of 'new line')
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/23/2021 05:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 06/23/2021 05:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Anandits

I'm in the habit of saying "enter" without a break, and in my memory, Dragon used to be able to jump to a New line without me having to pause.

I don't know if this changed, or if my memory is faulty, but currently I all the time have a document littered with "enters" instead of paragraph breaks. 

I want to be able to say:

"Dear Mary comma enter" And this should give me a line break after the comma. But it doesn't and types 'enter'. 

If I say "Dear Mary comma new line", it is fine. 

But for some reason, I cannot remember to do that. And I actually would really like to get rid of the "new line" vocab command, Because in my work I very often have to type the sentence "new line"!  (for instance as in "this should have gone on a new line"...)

It doesn't seem possible to change the Dragon command politely. Would there be secret, more forceful way to do so?

06/23/2021 06:42 AM

Author Icon
newbiecoder

Uttering the term "Press enter" will enter a hard line. But what I did is I created a step-by-step command
to press the enter key when I say the word "slap". instead of slap, I suggest you use any one syllable word you do not normally use in regular correspondence. Hope that helps.
 06/23/2021 12:08 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I did the following and it worked on my system:

First I removed the word "enter" from the Vocabulary. Then I added the following entry to Vocabulary Editor:

In Word Properties I did the following:

The word "enter" now appears to work as a "continuous recognition" command just like "new line".

You can use the very same technique with "new paragraph".

Before performing any of these operations it may be a good idea to first back up your current vocabulary!

If you want to keep the voice command "Enter" available for Windows Explorer for instance (opening a file when highlighted) then make sure to also add the following DVC voice command:

Enter

SendSystemKeys "{Enter}"

If you want to keep the word "enter" somewhat available for dictation you may additionally add the following command:

Print Enter

SendKeys "enter"

or

SendKeys " enter"

if you require an additional space first.

Update

Looks like my response landed almost simultaneously with the one from Lunis.

Oh well, maybe it will still serve a purpose for the screenshots ;-).

-------------------------

06/23/2021 12:45 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The screenshots are excellent

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/23/2021 12:06 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You're not going to like the press enter command because you would have to pause after dictating “Cap Dear Mary comma” (pause) press enter (pause again) <dictation>. To do what you want, you will need to add the word Enter as an in-line command to your vocabulary.

1. Open the Vocabulary Editor
2. Click  Add 
3. Type Enter into the Spoken Form (only). You will be prompted with “Would you like to add the word “Enter” into the vocabulary as an in-line command?
4. Click Yes
5. Copy the behavior of the existing new line in-line command.

HOWEVER, we recommend against this procedure because you will literally be taking the word “enter” out of your vocabulary. You won't be able to use the word “enter” by itself or even in a phrase. We strongly recommend getting into the habit of using the in-line new line command.

PS: Enter was never a Dragon command for obvious reasons. A previous version of KnowBrainer 2017 (w/2020 AI Commands) included a safer version of this command called Enter <dictation> but it was removed because it was too easy to misfire. If you are using KnowBrainer, this command was changed to Type <dictation> and Print <dictation>; depending on your use.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/23/2021 12:51 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Yes, Rob's screenshots were excellent. Thank you for taking the time to make them. I also learned from both answers by Rob and Lunis. Thank you!

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

06/24/2021 02:11 AM

Author Icon
Anandits

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I didn't know you could create an in-line command. Really happy to learn that. I understand the risk of removing "enter" from the dictionary. The combination of the various advices would be to create this in-line command with a word like "slap",And then I can delete the commands containing 'line', which are often causing problems for me when trying to time 'line'.
Thanks a lot, everybody.
Statistics
32107 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 250 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 251 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.