KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/18/2021 05:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 06/18/2021 05:57 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/18/2021 07:57 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 06/21/2021 10:58 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 06/21/2021 11:18 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/22/2021 01:55 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Alan Cantor - 06/18/2021 10:11 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 06/22/2021 12:02 AM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Alan Cantor - 06/22/2021 07:55 AM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2021 10:04 AM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 06/22/2021 03:15 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/22/2021 03:34 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 06/22/2021 03:43 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/22/2021 04:59 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 06/22/2021 07:32 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words. (Very Simple)   - Robert Snow - 09/05/2021 02:26 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Alan Cantor - 09/05/2021 03:33 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 09/05/2021 04:28 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Alan Cantor - 09/05/2021 07:05 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - Robert Snow - 09/05/2021 08:44 PM  
 What file holds the profile of Vocabulary & Custom Words.   - PG LTU - 09/06/2021 02:13 PM  
Keyword
 06/18/2021 05:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Robert Snow

I elected all ordershave a definite reason for needing the name of the actual files that hold my Commands and vocabulary.  I know all about the profile and locations. But that doesn't help much when you're searching previous hard drives that might be in an uncertain path.

Four I tried to get this from Nuance tech support, phone, with no luck. They came up with the name of the file as dgn.dra. I searched my entire computer and to previous hard drives with no luck.

All I also sent a request for help, which I attached to my reply when asked how I like their service. Following is a copy of the unanswered message I sent with my reply.

>>Profile\Manage User Profile\Advanced\Import

I need exact information on what files to import, the file with W's ministers heres name, and the paths.  I have found possibilities for the import from Dragon 15 and Dragon 14. Can it be done manually in other words not using the path I listed above, in bold? Please answer the following questions.

1. Name of the files.

2. Location of files. (There seem to be several locations that you use) I'm interested in  all the locations that I could Import.

3. Am I able to import Dragon 15 & Dragon 14.

4. Can I manually, not using the above path, import the files. Something like an appended to a file.

All you will

What I am trying to do is import the following into my Dragon Professional 15.61.200.010.

1. My Commands
2. Vocabulary

I also need the manual for Dragon 15 Professional. All manuals on your website say client, individual, or groups. This is a bit confusing to me. I'm just looking for a manual for my Dragon 15 professional. I am just one guy on one computer that uses Dragon with a lot of Specialized words and custom macros.

Bob Snow<<

I'm hoping maybe somebody had a need for the same thing and can make me aware of what I'm really searching for. I'm also hoping that I'll be able to append the data into the proper location of my Dragon 15.61. Since I just installed Dragon I have nothing of value in my profile.

Bob

-------------------------

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

06/18/2021 07:57 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Attempting to extract a nugget of wisdom from Nuance (800) 654-1187 outsourced support can be equivalent to panning for gold in a cat box.

1 & 2. It would be much faster, not to mention easier, to go old-school by copying your entire Ver. 15.61 %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\[your username] folder? You will find your Ver. 14 user profile at %PROGRAMDATA%\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking14\Users\[your username] folder. 

3. No but why in the world are you using Ver. 14 when you can activate Dragon 15 on up to 5 computers? We recommend nuking Ver. 14 with military prejudice.

4. You won't be able to find your vocabulary in a single file or folder. If you insist on keeping Ver. 14, you will need to export your vocabulary via your DragonBar Export custom word and phrase list. If you wish to export your Ver. 15 vocabulary with pronunciations and quite literally everything you have now, use the DragonBar Vocabulary Center/Manage Vocabularies menu. The remaining steps are easy to figure out but you can only do this with Ver. 15 to Ver. 15 or Ver. 14 to Ver. 14 etc. We find this approach to be equivalent to government red tape or taking the longer scenic route.

You have to export your vocabulary but if you prefer to copy your commands, they are located in your %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\[your username]\current\MyCmds.dat file. 

PS: Sometimes we wonder if Nuance specifically looks for Eric Trump short bus support people who would be difficult to understand and just make up their answers (now who does that remind us of) so that Dragon end-users won't call back 

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/21/2021 10:58 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

Sorry about misunderstanding. I have been using 15 for several years. I'm up to 15.61.

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

06/21/2021 11:18 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

I'm using 15.61 and as t1oday KnowBrainer. I only meantioned 14 becoase it has commands I would like to import into 15.61.

2. Location of files. (There seem to be several locations that you use) I'm interested in  all the locations that I could Import."Searching".

The reason for knowing the locations is only for Searching. 

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

06/22/2021 01:55 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Robert Snow Location of files. (There seem to be several locations that you use) I'm interested in  all the locations that I could Import."Searching".

See our previous answer for the exact address of your user profile command file. Depending on what version of Dragon you are using, there is only one address. However, even 15.3 and 15.61 have different addresses.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/18/2021 10:11 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

What I am trying to do is import the following into my Dragon Professional 15.61.200.010.

1. My Commands
2. Vocabulary

1. In the Command Browser, there is an option to export any or all custom commands. Commands can be exported in two formats: .dat, or .xml. It doesn't matter which. I often export my commands in both formats. The commands you export from Version 14 will likely work when you import them into Version 15, although recent changes to the scripting language may require minor modifications. (I don't remember the issues, so you can cross that bridge if you come to it.)

2. When you say "vocabulary," do you mean words and phrases that you added to Dragon's vocabulary? If yes, this is easy to do. DragonBar > Vocabulary > ... etc.

Exporting a list of custom words from Version 14 is straightforward. Words and phrases can be exported in two formats: .txt or .xml. Supposedly there is an advantage to the latter, although I don't recall what it is, and I don't have issues importing words saved in the former format.

If you regularly back up your custom commands and words, I don't think there's much point to knowing exactly which files contain the data. What's important to know is where you have stored the two files, and how to import these files into a current profile. I keep these files in a folder along with a sample of my writing. When I create a new profile, these are the only three files I need to quickly get up to speed.

(Actually... For my custom commands, I backup MyCmds.dat, which contains Dragon's built in commands + my custom commands, rather than a file that contains my custom commands.)
 06/22/2021 12:02 AM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

Alan, all this is about searching old hard drives for vocabularys and custom commands. By the was I only use 15. The question about 14 was will they work in 15, if I find something.

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

06/22/2021 07:55 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Custom commands are stored in myCmds.dat. The location of this file changes from version to version. Unless you exported your custom words, I don't think you'll be able to find a file that contains them.

Losing one's custom words can a blessing in disguise. A few years ago, I worked with a Dragon user who had set the program to automatically add unknown words to Dragon's vocabulary. But this feature had caused about 1000 non-words to get added. Of the roughly 1000 words, only about 50 were were real words; and of those 50, maybe 15 were words she used regularly.

06/22/2021 10:04 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

To answer the original question: There is no single or particular file which holds the vocabulary and the custom words. The data is part of the user profile and has been compiled in such ways that you can't search or even edit them. You only have access to the custom words, while a user profile is loaded into Dragon, via the menus on the Dragon bar.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

06/22/2021 03:15 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

Again I must thank all. I guess the moral of the story is BACK UP ALL NECESSARY FILES. Even those that don't seem necessary, if a backup is offered by the system. My problem was simply poor housekeeping. Thanks again for all the help. And yes, I agree with Alan's last remark. A loss might be a better start.
Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

06/22/2021 03:34 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Speaking of backups… By default, Dragon makes a backup of your entire ~ %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\[your username]\Backup folder every 5th save but there's still a 20% chance it can be corrupted. Additionally, if you lose your hard drive you lose Dragon and your user profile. We recommend making an additional monthly backup to another drive or the cloud. Our work is mission-critical so we use daily cloud backups through Acronis True Image and external monthly hard copies

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/22/2021 03:43 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

>>%LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\[your username]\<<

Would this be true for all versions of dragon. My only conceren is 14 or 15.61.

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

06/22/2021 04:59 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Once again:

Ver. 14 %PROGRAMDATA%\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking14\Users\

Ver. 15.3 %PROGRAMDATA%\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Users\

Ver. 15.61 %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/22/2021 07:32 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

Thank you fo your Help.

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

09/05/2021 02:26 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

> (Very Simple)<<

File: myCmds.dat
Path: C:\Users\ameri\AppData\Local\Nuance\NS15\Users\Harold\current\MyCmds.dat

At least in my case this is location. I did a search on *.dat and my life changed. I found a 6 year old DAT file and when I did a import The system asked me to chech mark the items I wanted. So I did not over right anything.

Now I need to spendsome time, hopefully not 2 1/2 months, to locate the file that holds all the custom words I created in the Vocabulary Editor.

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

09/05/2021 03:33 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Now I need to spendsome time, hopefully not 2 1/2 months, to locate the file that holds all the custom words I created in the Vocabulary Editor.

If you exported your custom words and phrases, they are in a file. The extension is either .txt or .xml. As for its location, that was a choice you made when you exported. So the file can be almost anywhere.

If you did NOT export your custom words, the only way I know to retrieve them is to open the version of Dragon that was running when you last saved the profile. If you let Dragon update your old profile when you upgraded to Version 15, you should be good. Once you've opened the profile, choose "Export Words and Phrases" from the Vocabulary menu. Take note of the location of the file.

If you don't have the older version of Dragon or if you didn't allow Dragon to update an old profile, consider your custom words lost.
 09/05/2021 04:28 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

The commands file uses Mycmds.dat. I note you mentioned extension file is *.txt or *.xml. Is it possible that Dragon 15.61 uses a name such as "This _is_your_text_file.txt, a default name? That would be nice. Nuance does not make it nice when t comes to supporting files and locations.

Example:
Manage app user Profiles-Advanced-Important (This opens "Browser for Folder).
WoW a Browser Window, displaying all of my hard drives and everything else I've done in the last 10 years. I would have rather seen in a browser window that had enough intelligence to show me the location of my last save. Or a short history of my saves. I guess Opus has spoiled me

But thank you, Alan, for your help.

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

09/05/2021 07:05 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

The commands file uses Mycmds.dat. I note you mentioned extension file is *.txt or *.xml. Is it possible that Dragon 15.61 uses a name such as "This _is_your_text_file.txt, a default name?

You're right, Dragon commands are stored in a file called MyCmds.dat which is in a fixed location. I believe Nuance changed the location a couple of versions ago.

Dragon custom words and phrases are baked into the profile in ways that are only accessible via Dragon's user interface, e.g., the Vocabulary Editor. I don't think Nuance dedicates a file to contain a user's custom words and phrases. When you export custom words and phrases to a file, that file is NOT part of the profile. It's more of a repository of custom words, or a backup.
 09/05/2021 08:44 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow

Thank you for the very clear description. I know now exactly what I have to do.

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

09/06/2021 02:13 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

it is only one way and not a synch, but custom words in .txt or .xml files in your Data Distribution location _do_ get added to whatever your current vocabulary is, even new ones. (Perhaps that's a Group ed. feature though, ymmv).

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 335 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 335 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.