List commands w variables   - dilligence - 06/13/2021 12:46 PM  
 List commands w variables   - JudCrandall - 06/15/2021 10:13 PM  
Keyword
 06/04/2021 12:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JudCrandall

Hi guys,

First-time poster longtime lurker. As a writer, I like to be able to say "nervous one" or "nervous two" for my boilerplate shortcuts, to show a certain emotion.

Instead of having a thousand different commands, each one with its own number on the end… I suspect I should be able to use the list command function to create them in larger groups, eg, provide a list of a five phrases instead of having to program five different shortcuts with a number on the end...but I can't figure out how to do it.

I tried a command called "nervous <1to5>" but I'm clearly not using the variable feature correctly in the name editor. In the contents field of the command, I listed five different phrases like so, hoping that I could then say "nervous one" and the phrase "he laughed uneasily" would pop up. But it doesn't work that way, and I can't find any good tutorial. 

He laughed uneasily

He swallowed hard

He cleared his throat

He pursed his lips

He froze perfectly still

Any suggestions on how I could create such a command, that would pick a phrase from a list based on the number I dictate?

It's tiresome putting in one command at a time, plus knowbrainers's "new shortcut <dictation>" keeps getting my dictation wrong and I have to edit each one anyway.

Thanks,

Jud

-------------------------
Sure and quick, Louis. That's the only way.
 06/04/2021 01:37 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

In our opinion, it would make more sense to simply add these phrases to your vocabulary via Written Form/Spoken Form. The advantage of using the Vocabulary Editor is that you will not have to pause. For example, you could produce “Then he swallowed hard when he was served” (without pausing). If you like this approach, open the Vocabulary Editor, add “then he swallowed hard” to the Written Form and “nervous two” to the Spoken Form.

You might consider our KnowBrainer Dragon Installation/Training Guide (complementary to our Dragon customers). This manual includes details on using Dragon's features. For example, there are 5 ways to edit Vocabulary Editor dictation.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/04/2021 06:53 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Lunis is probably right in the way he offered do solve this particular situation. But you did not learn how to use list commands…

nervous <1-5>

Sub Main

Select Case ListVar1

Case "1"

SendKeys "whatever you wanted to say", 1

Case "2"

SendKeys "", 1

Case "3"

SendKeys "", 1

Case "4"

SendKeys "", 1

Case "5"

SendKeys "", 1

Case Else

TTSPlayString "this command only works for the Numbers 1 through 5"

Exit All

End Select

End Sub

I did not bother to fill out the exact text strings you want to output (see case 1: "whatever you want it to say"). Because there is potential confusion between 2, two, to, & too (not to mention 1, one & won) there are more bulletproof ways to do this, but, if you are using Dragon® 14 or fifteen, this should work just fine.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

06/04/2021 09:27 PM

Author Icon
JudCrandall

Thanks Lunis, I will read the training manual. It's hard to know where to start. I bought the "speech productivity" scripting course book the other day that you recommended on this forum, but I don't even know if that's what I need, so I'll read your training guide first.

Thanks @Edgar for the list commands answer... great to be in touch with you guys.
-JC

06/05/2021 09:07 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

You will find List Commands on page 30 of the Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting. Note that my guide uses DVC Scripting instead of Advanced Scripting (Edgar uses Advanced Scripting in his example). Why? Well, it guarantees the fastest deployment for relatively simple voice commands like these.

Here's a simple comparison of DVC versus Advanced Scripting.

Back to your original question. Here is how you do it. Just double-click any of the existing DVC voice commands in your Dragon Command Browser (like the <mousegrid> command for instance) and choose Create New. Now replace the original contents with the following:

I have attached the voice command so you can easily import it into your Dragon Command Browser. Make sure to have Dragon look for *.xml instead of *.dat files:

Note that this voice command uses SendKeys (page 19 of the Easy Guide) instead of boilerplates. This allows you to create fast and convenient list commands with short strings of text. You can add as many as you like. Just add the new arguments/keywords to the list.

If you want to create similar list commands in the future, simply use this one as a template.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

06/14/2021 08:29 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow
Advanced Member

Yes I need the book. But I dont have or use PayPal. I do buy all the time on internet with my card. Hope there is a way.

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

06/14/2021 09:06 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

You don't need to have a PayPal account per se, you should also have the option to "Check out as Guest" which allows you to pay with a credit card.

06/16/2021 12:49 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow
Advanced Member

I was able to but the book. Did the first 50 pages last night. Today I'll do a Reread. Tomorrow I'll do the 50 again but working the compuside side by side.

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

06/05/2021 10:50 AM

Author Icon
JudCrandall

@Diligence, this is fantastic. Looking forward to trying it out. I'm reading your book right now and appreciate the easy to understand style.

06/12/2021 10:10 PM

Author Icon
JudCrandall

Hi @Diligence, I got around to trying your scripting recommendation, but I'm not able to edit any of the DVC within my command browser. When I double click, nothing happens, and when I right-click, the EDIT option is grayed out. Any suggestions?
Thanks
JC

06/13/2021 12:46 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

That's odd...

Question: 

Your forum profile says that you are using Dragon 15.6. But is that DPI (Dragon Professional Individual)? Or is it Premium or Home?

In case of the latter you would also not be able to import the voice command I have attached to this post.

Instead you would need to make this a KnowBrainer DVC scripting command. 

06/15/2021 10:13 PM

Author Icon
JudCrandall

@Diligence ... Oddly enough, it worked on my second computer perfectly. For some reason my laptop still won't let me edit DVC commands, even though as far as I know it's the same version.
Thanks again though! Haven't had time to fool around with it yet but this is exactly what I was looking for.

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 404 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 404 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.