KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does it make sense to update to DMPE 4 to dictate to EMR over VPN?
Topic Summary: Requesting advice regarding updating to DMPE4 and dealing with remoting into patient charts with VPN
Created On: 02/06/2022 07:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 02/06/2022 07:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Dr. Mel

I am now working as a hospitalist for a hospital using MEDITECH. On occasion, I am remoting in to finish charting, with use of VMware Horizon VPN. I am using DMPE 2. I have found it to be cumbersome, in regards to transfering text into Meditech, moreso than when I was working at a different hosptial system using Epic. Also, if I use the WMware View App, I am not able to copy any text from the remote document onto Dragon Pad, Word pad, or Note pad on the local computer. I can only do this by logging into Meditech via the Meditech live app on the remote server then accessing the patient record. My questions are firstly, would it make sense to buy the DMPE 4, in order to improve overall performance of Dragon, compared to DMPE 2, which I have used since it came out and, secondly, what prevents me from copying out of a patient document on the remote server, when utilizing the VMware View App as opposed to the Meditech live app on the remote server?

-------------------------

DNS MPE 2, MTECH M8700 16GB RAM Intel Mobil Core i7-2820QM, 2.3 GHZ

02/06/2022 08:01 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

DMPE 2 is extremely out of date. We are not certain why you cannot copy & paste into Meditech but there is a workaround available. You will need to begin with DMPE 4.3.1 and then add DragonCapture which allows you to directly dictate pretty much anywhere because it deposits text the same way as typing 300 words per minute; one letter at a time 

We also recommend adding KnowBrainer 2020 which, among many other things, will give you the ability to edit your Meditech dictation, via our Print <dictation> command, which DragonCapture is not ideally suited to.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

02/06/2022 08:18 PM

Dr. Mel

Thanks Lunis. I am buying a new desktop, so that I can have a fresh install of DMP 4.3.1. Is Dragon still going ahead with the previously mentioned discontinuation the the Medical practice versions? Is the DMPE 4 now a direct download as opposed to a CD? How much time do I have to purchase the new version. In regards to the KnowBrainer software, what is the best way to learn how to use the various features?

02/07/2022 12:31 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

• Unless there is something wrong with your computer, you don't need to purchase another one. DMPE 4.3.1 is significantly smaller and notably faster than DMPE 2. If you decide to buy new computer, it would be best to use Windows 10 rather than Windows 11

• Nuance is still on track to end-of-cycle DMPE 4.3.1 support as of the end of March. However, Nuance has never supported Dragon Medical so no loss there but it also means that they won't be releasing a DMPE 5 or patching DMPE 4. We suspect one more patch might on the way for Windows 11 compatibility

• Nuance discontinued DVDs many years ago. All software purchases are downloads but we optionally offer a 16 Gb USB 3 flash drive. Not all computer users have  a fast broadband connection

• The best way to learn about KnowBrainer is through What is KnowBrainer but if you want a quick glance, check out our KnowBrainer Quickstart which detaiils our top 20 most commonly used commands with definitions and examples

• We purchased the only remaining 17 licenses of DMPE 4.3.1 so we cannot predict when we will run out but we know they won't last

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

02/06/2022 10:25 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Dr. Mel, 

Firstly, your VMWare Horizon from the hopsital is likely set up in such a way as to prevent any clipboard passage from virtual session to the host.  They say it's for "privacy".  We could cry but our IT folks say that with a straight face.

Secondly, DMPE 4.3 is considered more accurate than DMPE 2, by a fair margin. 

Thirdly, DragonCapture, insofar as my superficial understanding of its design principle allows, may or may not allow you to dictate from host into remote session directly.  You won't know until you trial it.

Fourthly, are you using Meditech Expanse with "Dragon Medidical One" or "Dragon Medical Embedded" at work already?

02/07/2022 12:40 PM

Dr. Mel

At work, we are using Dragon Medical One, imbedded in the network, apparently, to access Meditech on the hospital servers. DMO, of course, is much better than the DMPE 2, that I used at my private practice, for years, as far as speed and accuracy. There are two ways to access the Meditech records, remotely, at this time. As you note, the VMware Horizon is not allowing the cut and paste. If I access Meditech through a Citrix connection, that is still in place, I am able to cut and paste. When I was with another hospital system, the past 2 years, with their VPN, I was able to work more efficiently than I am now. Is the clipboard associated with any particular word processing program or a part of Dragon?

02/07/2022 04:27 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

As far as I know, the "clipboard" restriction, which disallows VDI-to-Host copy-and-paste in Horizon, has nothing to do with Dragon, but everything to do with VMWare Horizon and how it was set up.

In your case, Citrix seems to allow for bidirectional copy-and-paste.  And does Citrix not offer you "audio-redirection" so as to let you stream your voice to the hosted DMO?  Horizon VDI, despite not allowing for one-way copy-and-paste, may also offer a version of audio redirection.  But you will have tinker a bit, preferably with your institutional IT support.

Not sure if you could use DMO's "PowerMic Mobile" to bypass a lot of this needless picketing.

02/09/2022 01:23 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

With remote connections and/or virtualization it all depends on where Dragon (or DMO for that case) is running.

If Dragon and the target application are running on the same machine, in the same session, you can dictate into your target application just fine.

The only problem can be audio redirection when speech recorded from your client has to be transferred over your network to the remote session and audio quality can suffer in case of network slowdowns.

If you're running Dragon on your client and your EMR system in a Citrix or RDP or Horizon session, Dragon can not see which application in the remote session you're working with. All it sees is a black box where the remote session is being presented.

All you can do is transfer dictation results (mostly using Copy/Paste, for which to work the shared clipboard has to be enabled) in a fire-and-forget manner.

Using PMM (Power Mic Mobile) with DMO can help alot in this case because it doesn't just record audio and send it to the client machine, but pairs directly with the DMO session, so your audio doesn't have to take several steps to reach DMO.

hth

mav

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 527 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 527 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.