KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/01/2021 10:42 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance   - timduncan - 12/01/2021 10:42 AM  
 DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance   - ax - 12/01/2021 11:20 AM  
 DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance   - ax - 12/01/2021 11:33 AM  
 DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/01/2021 03:46 PM  
 DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance   - timduncan - 12/03/2021 10:46 AM  
 DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/03/2021 03:07 PM  
 DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance   - ax - 12/04/2021 11:32 PM  
 DMPE 4th Hardware Configuration for Improved Performance   - kkkwj - 12/05/2021 05:36 PM  
Keyword
 12/01/2021 10:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
timduncan

On my current workstation I have 32GB RAM, dual Intel Xeon E5-2637V3 3.5GHz 4-Core LGA 2011-v3 CPU Processors.

I am looking to buy a new workstation and ideally improved DPME 4th Edition performance/ responsivity, e.g. faster speech recognition output, ability to dictate soon after editing commands (Have always found Dragon very slow to respond after editing any commands). I was given a quote on a system with dual Intel Xeon Silver 4214R 2.4GHz,(3.5GHz Turbo, 12C, 9.6GT/s 2UPI, 16.5MB Cache, HT processors. Are the multiple cores more important than the top clock speed for DPME performance? Are there other hardware factors I should consider in configuring the system?

Thanks!

12/01/2021 11:20 AM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: timduncan

I was given a quote on a system with dual Intel Xeon Silver 4214R 2.4GHz,(3.5GHz Turbo, 12C, 9.6GT/s 2UPI, 16.5MB Cache, HT processors. Are the multiple cores more important than the top clock speed for DPME performance? Are there other hardware factors I should consider in configuring the system?

Thanks!

(Please pardon any jest ... none meant for any offense, intended or unintended).

1. That quote is another clear piece of evidence that money does grow on trees in the United States (pardon me if that's not where you are).

2. While awaiting input from gurus and cavalry, you will hear from me that the quoted specs do seem to tilt a bit more in favour of number of cores/threads than raw clock speed.  Single-threaded performance (which is reasonably clock-speed dependent when all else being equal) has its place in desktop Dragon experience.

3. Assuming your quote includes "commensurate" quality/quantity of RAM and SSD (which I am sure), your overall specs are fit for launching Dragon Capsule, as opposed to Dragon Naturally Speaking.  If that machine of yours don't give you a "positive user experience", the rest of us might as well pack up and go home to collect the Biden/Trudeau cheques.

12/01/2021 11:33 AM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Now here a piece of heartfelt advice from me - jest free:

If you were spending that kind of coin, you should seriously ponder KB's "White Glove" service and/or talk to the good folks at M-Tech. No I have not used the "white or velvet glove" service of any kind, nor have I purchased from M-Tech myself (I did speak to them on the phone years ago ... very nice and friendly folks indeed). And I collect zero commission from Lunis (but he should pay me for being on-call, no?)

Very very seriously, if you are ready to devote that kind of resources, instead of Xeon (trust me that word, along with "ECC", tickle my own chumpish fancy much much more than "recycled aluminum", "M1", or "Cupertino"), you should get professional, paid advices from someone experienced with desktop Dragon, and accustomed to custom requests.

That's all.

Best of luck to you!
 12/01/2021 03:46 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

Dual Xeon processors won't make any difference so we recommend saving the money. We recommend Intel i9, i7, i5 or AMD equivalent processors. 16 Gb of RAM (8 Gb  minimum) for most end-users; 32 Gb of RAM or more for power users. We recommend 512 Gb or larger SSDs (256 Gb minimum). 

If you are in the market for DMPE 4.3.1 (Dragon Medical w/Ver. 15.51 Speech Engine) we not only offer that application but additionally include our exclusive installation guide which additionally pictorially details fixing 30 sandtraps; plus other exclusive perks.

M-Tech (231) 547-5562 makes our office computers and we are not paid to recommend them; unless you count that computer manufacturer sponsored Bermuda vacation business meeting

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

12/03/2021 10:46 AM

Author Icon
timduncan

Thanks for the responses. The previous workstation was configured for me and I don't know so much about the ideal configuration. Are there any benefits from a Xeon processor or dual processors? What would be the best processor to select, weighing clockspeed, cores, cache etc?
 12/03/2021 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Benefits: Multiple cores yes; dual processors no.

We recommend Intel i9, i7, i5 or AMD equivalent processors. 16 Gb of RAM (8 Gb minimum) for most end-users; 32 Gb of RAM or more for power users. We recommend 512 Gb or larger SSDs (256 Gb minimum). It should be noted that our i9-10980XE 3 GHz 18 core 64 Gb of RAM is not as fast as our 8-year-old i7 4 GHz quad core. Even though we are power users, we don't seem to be using the 18 cores but for most end-users, you probably won't notice a difference with an i5. This is just our unqualified $0.02

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

12/04/2021 11:32 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

@ OP:

First thing first: what you bought as your current "workstation" is a server - a bit long in the tooth perhaps.  But I for one don't necessarily see it as hopelessly "obsolete".  It's built for 24/7 operations and 24/7 stability.  Not need-for-speed.  It may very well have RAID configured.  RAID setups of that vintage probably still didn't have SSD.

SSD will give you a better all-around user experience.

I wouldn't suggest the "fastest" or "biggest" SSD.  But I will suggest a "very good" SSD. Though I'd never myself buy a dual-core server with RAID to dub as a workstation, if I have the means, I'd very much like to splurge for an "enterprise" or "data centre" SSD.

Anything exceedig 32GB for RAM would also be hard to justify (personally I see 16 as plenty), unless your main thing is video editing or "developing" this or that.  For a "medic" who is fitting out his/her tool of trade, if "content creation" happens to be your preferred side hustle, you are better off in the long run getting a separate rig with +++ RAM and $$$ video card, or an Apple M1XXX.

They say not to mix work and fun.

If you are among a minority of physicians who still do need a server, for whatever reason, to sit in your office, I'd still recommend against running DMPE, or even MS Word on your server.

Finally Xeon.  It only makes sense when paired with ECC memory.  If you need your rig to be up and running 24/7, for days or weeks on end, and your rig "hosts" a database of importance to you (such as a local installation of EMR), then you need ECC and Xeon.  And RAID.  Hence a "server".

At the risk of repeating myself: it is really NOT good practice to run DMPE on a server hosting one's EMR.

There is nothing outlandish for wanting a decent worktation for your DMPE, especially if you are into commands and "RPA", just like the rest of us who frequent this place.

The main reason I explicitly suggested you contact KB's "white-glove" service or M-Tech is because your whole setup may not have been configured to serve your needs, despite having bought yourself a server.

Lunis may not want to say it.  But after my last 72 hours of rather brutal call (first half of the week was reasonable), I am in a direct-firing mode: whoever sold you the server from 5 or 6 years ago, probably didn't have or care for your best professional interest if your main reason for purchasing such a rig was to get the most out of Dragon.

Given that your Haswell server is really no slouch spec-wise, even if only a tad over-the-hill by PC standards, but you are really not having the DMPE experience you'd expect, you probably need some help in configuring your software and in "optimizing settings".

Only you can answer the following question: does it look as though the folks who sold you the server in the first place, and who is quoting you yet another server in 2021, are going to configure Dragon and other related software for you, so as to maximize your bang for the buck?

And since you seem to be willing to invest the resource, hence the "white glove" support suggestion.

12/05/2021 05:36 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

For my two bits, I agree with Lunis' statement that having lots of cores (and 2x the core count in threads, giving 36 "processors" on his machine) is pretty useless unless you're running lots of software that processes lots of data in parallel. Otherwise, the software can't use the cores and they remain idle. It seems to me that for Dragon speed, a faster clock speed such as 4Mhz would give better "performance" (whatever that means) than a 3MHz clock speed. But the overall performance and user experience involve many other things. It seems to me that you'd really have to mess up buying any modern machine to get one that would crimp Dragon performance.

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 454 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 454 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.