KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DMO dictation box window activation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/30/2021 11:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 DMO dictation box window activation   - BrittinCavanagh - 08/30/2021 11:03 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - dilligence - 09/01/2021 10:14 AM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - BrittinCavanagh - 09/01/2021 03:11 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/01/2021 06:26 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - dilligence - 09/02/2021 03:19 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - BrittinCavanagh - 09/05/2021 03:55 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - dilligence - 09/05/2021 07:32 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/05/2021 09:21 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - BrittinCavanagh - 09/14/2021 02:25 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - Mav - 09/15/2021 04:02 AM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - BrittinCavanagh - 09/15/2021 08:15 PM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - dirlisroy - 03/12/2022 09:44 AM  
 DMO dictation box window activation   - monkey8 - 04/15/2022 11:12 AM  
Keyword
 08/30/2021 11:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BrittinCavanagh

My laboratory is just now moving to DMO from DMPE.  I work in New Zealand so fortunately we were overlooked for quite a while.  We run an in-house built laboratory information system (LIS) that is not compatible with Dragon.  We utilise the dictation box but we are unable to anchor the DMO dictation box to our LIS.  This is causing problems, but today what I am looking for help with is window activation. 

When we open the DMO dictation box it does not seem to be the active window.  It appears that it is partially active and the last active program is partially active.  Auto-text, free dictation, and built-in commands (e.g. next field) all execute in the DMO dictation box.  However, custom-built commands execute in the last active window, usually our LIS.

I have tried opening the box in different ways (voice, keyboard, mouse), alt+tab, running the wait for window, open application commands. I also tried using hotkeys and F keys to activate the DMO dictation box.  I (and my IT department) would like to avoid purchasing a third program to bridge the two programs.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

09/01/2021 10:14 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Is your LIS a regular Windows software (desktop) application or is it running via a server of some sort, or does it use some kind of virtualization? 

I'm not sure if the "switch to <application>" command exists in DMO. If so, can you use it to switch to your LIS? Or switch to the DMO dictation box for that matter?

Did you make your custom commands application-specific to the DMO dictation box?

With the DMO dictation box open, what happens if you repeat the command to call it up?

-------------------------

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

09/01/2021 03:11 PM

Author Icon
BrittinCavanagh

Our LIS is a local install. I can reproduce the error in word. So I am not sure if the LIS is the problem.

The switch to command is not available in DMO.

Yes, we re-created all of our commands in DMO.

If I repeat the command to call up the dictation box nothing happens.

I can usually tell when I will have the activation issue because I will have a cursor in the dictation box and in my LIS. The error is sporadic, I cannot find a scenario where the error occurs every time (I have tried so many things) but this problem occurs often enough to be an issue in my high volume lab.
 09/01/2021 06:26 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

DMO doesn't include approximately 75% of the features you'll find in DMPE 4.3.1. switch to  (the ability to switch to an open app or Window) is not supported. Nuance had to leave out most of DMPE 4.3.1 functionality in order to prevent DMO from bogging down from the extra weight, which can only be supported locally. Of course this means DMPE 4.3.1 functionality is doable but not yet available.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

09/02/2021 03:19 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I was suggesting repeating the launching command to make sure the DMO dictation box would (re) activate properly, being singleton and all.

I am curious though, with visible cursors you mean blinking cursors in both applications? But I take it there is only one that receives your dictation...

It's either a problem that's exclusive to the DMO box (not likely) or a general Z order issue in your Windows installation.

Anyway, I hear you not wanting to use any third party applications. Shame though, since there's a pretty good chance that Quiet Box© with it's "sticky" mode would completely solve the issue.

09/05/2021 03:55 PM

Author Icon
BrittinCavanagh

Hi Dilligence,
Do you mean the hotkeys or verbal command that opens the dictation box? I have tried adding the hotkey into the command twice and using it twice manually and neither one fully activates the dictation box.

Even without using DMO the cursor in my LIS never blinks, it is just solid. So when I have DMO open I get a solid cursor in my LIS and a blinking cursor in DMO. DMO receives the dictation and auto-texts and my LIS receives commands.

I will look into the possibility of a Z order issue. Thank you.

If all else fails we may need to go to a third party application and this is a good suggestion. Thank you.
 09/05/2021 07:32 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I meant repeating the verbal command although using the hotkey should have the same effect: (re) activating the box.

Well, this is how it would work with any Singleton executable file if something was messed up in the Z order however, I forgot the Dragon dictation box is probably (part of) a dll. Not sure about the DMO box, but the regular Dragon® dictation box can be reactivated. I made an executable for that a long time ago.

It's really odd though. If the DMO box receives your dictation then it must be activated. I don't believe there is such a thing as "half activated". Did you try deleting the custom commands for the DMO box and creating them again? Or it may actually be a better idea to first create a new user profile and then creating them again.

Both the SP AIO Dictation Box© as well as Quiet Box© are stand-alone executables, basically completely independent from Dragon®. They can easily be reactivated either by repeating the voice command ("DB"/"QB") or by calling included additional stand-alone activation executables. All of this can easily be included in any kind of scripting commands as well.

09/05/2021 09:21 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you are using the default DMO Dictation Box options, should automatically open when you dictate into a non-Dragon friendly environment? Then say transfer text to transfer your dictation into the target window. The DMO Dragon Dictation Box also includes an option to automatically transfer your dictation when you stop speaking; like DragonCapture. Gosh, we wonder where they got that idea from. As previously mentioned, the DMO Dictation Box is somewhat short on features such as partial transparency.

We do not know why your cursor doesn't blink in LIS

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

09/14/2021 02:25 PM

Author Icon
BrittinCavanagh

Thank you for the info. A second user and I have the same issues so it is not profile specific. We created all our commands new in DMO.

I did discover that if I use a voice command to select text within the DMO window, it will fully activate the window and drop the LIS activation. Then I am able to run commands within the DMO window.

Even when I let the DMO box open automatically, by dictating, it still is only active for dictation and auto-text. Commands will still execute in my LIS.

What I find to be the most concerning is that this problem occurs in word as well in the LIS. Which makes me think this is either a DMO issue or has something to do with our system/security/settings.
 09/15/2021 04:02 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

Following your last description I tried to recreate the situation.

I made a voice command "please select everything" which only pressed Ctrl+A.

Then I opened Notepad++ (not Dragon-friendly), put the cursor at the end of a text and said "please select everything".

DMD showed that the command was executed and the whole text was selected - just like I intended.

I unselected the text and dictated a short sentence. The dictation box opened and showed my text.

Saying "please select everything" affected the Notepad++ window again.

Using the built-in commands (like "select-xyz") affected the dictation box, which was to be expected since DMD/DMO cannot see the text inside Notepad++.

From all of those observations, I think this behavior is by design:

User defined voice commands always control the application that was active when you started speaking, even if this application is not Dragon-friendly and can pop up the dictation box if DMD/DMO recognizes dictation and not just commands.

hth,

mav

09/15/2021 08:15 PM

Author Icon
BrittinCavanagh

Hi Mav,

Thanks for looking into this issue.

I have head back from Nuance and apparently this is a universal issue. Nuance's recommendation is to change our workflow so that we don't need to use step-by-step commands in the dictation box. Which is not very helpful, especially since we didn't have this problem with DMPE.
 03/12/2022 09:44 AM

Author Icon
dirlisroy

I have tried adding the hotkey into the command twice and using it twice manually and neither one fully activates the dictation box. get-shareit.com get-vidmateapk.com

04/15/2022 11:12 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: BrittinCavanagh

When we open the DMO dictation box it does not seem to be the active window.  It appears that it is partially active and the last active program is partially active.  Auto-text, free dictation, and built-in commands (e.g. next field) all execute in the DMO dictation box.  However, custom-built commands execute in the last active window, usually our LIS.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I know exactly the problem you refer to, we can add a command(s) to DMO for you that will overcome the issues, It is an advanced command(s) that you wouldn't be able to add yourself. Contact us at support@pcbyvoice.com if you want to take it further. 

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » DMPE, DMO and EMRs » DMO dictation box window activation

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 367 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 367 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.