Volume of Mic Causing Dragon Crash   - Mkelly83 - 02/18/2021 05:18 PM  
 Volume of Mic Causing Dragon Crash   - Mav - 02/19/2021 04:51 AM  
 Volume of Mic Causing Dragon Crash   - Mkelly83 - 02/19/2021 05:05 PM  
Keyword
 02/18/2021 05:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mkelly83

Was curious if anyone has had issues with DMPE 15.3.3 freezing or crashing during a shift? Say around hour 6 or 7. When troubleshooting i am noticing that the Microphone is setting itself  to 100 even if "Automatically adjust the microphone level as I speak" is unchecked. 

My users are however running Microsoft Teams and I have read that Teams will auto-adjust the volume. Just curious if anyone has come into this issue. 

PC Specs

256 SSD or M2

16GB RAM

i7 Core or Xeon Processor

02/19/2021 04:51 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Yes, Teams (or every other communication software I know) does adjust microphone sensitivity on its own, regardless of whether or not there are other applications on the same machine wanting their own microphone level.

Dragon crashing (especially after longer periods of use) is not a rare incident and it's virtually impossible to tell exactly what caused the crash when small problems accumulate over hours and hours and finally are tipping the whole application over.

Setting the microphone sensitivity to 100% could contribute, though.

If the recording Dragon gets suffers from clipping because of the input level being set too high, chances are that Dragon cannot derive a recognition result from the utterance and perhaps cleanup in this case is a bit faulty.

Usually, this doesn't matter if it doesn't happen all the time.

After several hours of "bad" audio some memory- or resource leaks can begin to show their effect and ultimately lead to a crash.

If you want to find out what caused the crash, the only real source of information is the Dragon.log file, but I think it's a rather futile attempt.

I don't think Nuance will ever release a speech engine capable of running 24/7 - even the recognition processes running on DMO servers can crash and are simply restarted automatically instead of making them crash-proof.

The pragmatic approach for me would be to simply restart Dragon around the middle of the shift and see if your crashes persist.

hth,

mav

02/19/2021 05:05 PM

Author Icon
Mkelly83

Thank you for that information. So i have noticed that even with the "Automatically adjust Microphone..." unchecked the moment i go to Check microphone, Dragon immediately raises my volume to 100. I supposed it does that and works backwards. However it sticks to 100. For users who prefer headsets, could anyone suggest a really good noise cancelling headset that they have used and would recommend?
KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » DMPE, DMO and EMRs » Volume of Mic Causing Dragon Crash

Statistics
31980 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 605 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 605 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.