KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL
Topic Summary: MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON
Created On: 01/29/2017 01:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - MDH - 01/29/2017 01:22 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - wkilpatrick - 12/01/2017 12:27 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - holycowdidyouseethat - 12/22/2017 08:54 AM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/22/2017 11:59 AM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - Mark Jany - 01/10/2018 11:29 AM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/10/2018 12:56 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - DoctorW - 01/10/2018 01:00 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/10/2018 01:33 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - Aaron Walker - 01/20/2018 12:54 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/20/2018 04:51 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - R. Wilke - 01/20/2018 05:16 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/20/2018 06:12 PM  
 MMODAL FLUENCY DIRECT VERSUS DRAGON MEDICAL   - R. Wilke - 01/20/2018 08:02 PM  
Keyword
 01/29/2017 01:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MDH
Top-Tier Member

I have had the opportunity to compare MMODAL Fluency Direct use versus Dragon with an EMR (Greenway). It is my impression that MMODAL Fluency Direct has very comparable accuracy to Dragon, even comparing a new untrained Fluency Direct user vs a seasoned Dragon user. (I am using Dragon Medical v. 10.1). However, there are 2 glaring differences of Dragon vs MMODAL Fluency Direct use. Dragon's command functionality is much more sophisticated. For the user who does not know anything about writing commands, Fluency Direct has a much easier user method to build them.That said, for those who know nothing about Advanced Scripting, they are also much, much less likely to even consider creating or using a command. That would describe most physicians. For anyone serious about using commands to be much more efficient, there is no contest as far as Dragon's capabilities versus MMODAL Fluency Direct. Sure, there is a learning curve in Dragon (more than is needed with Fluency Direct), but the potential rewards are light years ahead of Fluency Direct's capabilities at present. Additionally, there seems to be a basic significant coding issue in Fluency Direct such that recognition of commands is currently way inferior to Dragon use. This problem largely negates the benefit of creating/using custom commands in Fluency Direct. Also, correcting misrecognitions is much better with Dragon. Fluency Direct's alternative to Dragon's Vocabulary Editor pales in comparison. We all know that using the Correction Box in Dragon is not very effective compared to using the Vocabulary Editor. With Fluency Direct, you need to select the text that you wish to correct. This negates the Language Model "context" method used by Dragon, which uses the phrase spoken. Also, it is more difficult to modify the Acoustic Model result in Fluency Direct, which is more aggressive than Dragon in choosing it's interpretation. Apparently Fluency Direct uses Deep Learning, but I thus far fail to see any obvious difference in recognition versus Dragon. Dragon does not yet have a Deep Learning medical version available. But I find it of concern that several people on this Forum have abandoned the non-medical Deep Learning version 15, and have reverted to a previous version. So whatever increased accuracy that may be apparent with Deep Learning at this point in time was not enough to justify the other hassles encountered. That said, keep in mind that this was only the first venture in to this new technology, and future versions are likely to be much better. However, another very obvious difference between using Dragon versus the MMODAL software is that the MMODAL support is heads and shoulders beyond what I have read on this Forum in regards to many user's interactions with Nuance. The MMODAL people are actively engaged, and genuinely open and interested in improving their product based on feedback. This seems in stark contrast to what I read here vs the Nuance support folk. So eventually, one might expect MMODAL to promote a much more enthusiastic user base and a more rapidly improving product. I suspect they will surpass the Nuance product soon. And they will have greater appeal to the relatively less sophisicated speech recognition user, which means most people. (We have to keep in my that by definition those on this Forum are by default biased in terms of being more interested in advanced use of speech recognition, but by no stretch of the imagination do we reflect the average user).

MDH

-------------------------
 12/01/2017 12:27 PM

Author Icon
wkilpatrick

Thank you for the insight.

William E. Kilpatrick, APN
 12/22/2017 08:54 AM

Author Icon
holycowdidyouse..

So wait your comparing a product that was released in 2009 (Dragon 10.1 ) vs a 2017 (Modal) product and they are comparable?  Wow good to know!

12/22/2017 11:59 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Nuance scuttlebutt has it that DMPE 4 (think Dragon Medical 15) is due to be released in the next few weeks. In our opinion, when combined with KnowBrainer, M*Modal will have a difficult time in this comparison. Imagine being able to verbally position your cursor into any field and simultaneously dictate. This could potentially make Dragon Medical 10 times faster, even compete with DMO (Dragon Medical One) and cost significantly less than even M*Modal.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/10/2018 11:29 AM

Author Icon
Mark Jany

Any update on the DMPE4 rumours? I have trialed MModal version for my EMR but monthly price is very high and their actual adapted stuff minimal, I just need transcription. Using DMPE 1 previously. MModal is better accuracy but not a massive improvement. I think DMPE4 would be my choice if it seems imminent, otherwise the stand-alone version of Mmodal (at circa 1600 with a microphone) is a decent option.
 01/10/2018 12:56 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

We answered this question in our previous post but to reiterate, we believe DMPE 4 will be released around the end of this month but if you would like to be put on our notification list, send a DMPE 4 release request to Sales@KnowBrainer.com and we will give you an advance notice that doesn't violate our NDA. Nuance doesn't allow anyone, in the know, to publicize this information. 

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/10/2018 01:00 PM

Author Icon
DoctorW

Would you have any specifics in regards to costs  for  owners of previous editions , such as DMPE2?

Thanks

James

01/10/2018 01:33 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We are guessing $600 for the upgrade price but we really don't know and won't have access to that information until Nuance and the reseller channel announces the DMPE4 release. If you would like to be put on our advance notification list, send a request to Sales@KnowBrainer.com and we will send you advance notice.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/20/2018 12:54 PM

Author Icon
Aaron Walker

I've had extremely negative experience with accuracy wth MMODAL Fluency Direct 10.x utilizing certified mic hardware. I'm only getting about 25% accuracy dictating.

Unfortunately my place of employment is transitioning away from Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 to Fluency Direct due to Epic and Windows 10. I do like MMODAL Fluency Direct command creation GUI. Although Fluency Direct utilize JavaScript versus what I'm used to Python for low-level scripting via dragonfly/dragon. Depending on the type of command they may have to be approved and integrated through MMODAL support team. MMODAL support team has been responsive to converting scripts I've made through utilizing Dragon Advanced Scripting.

I'm not sure if it's something with my voice that doesn't work well with fluency direct. I utilize the same hardware for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 and have had a vastly superior experience. Version 10 of NaturallySpeaking doesn't even compare to v15 professional in terms of accuracy and dictation speed. I look forward to the next major release of Dragon Medical or DNPE. I hope my experience improves MMODAL Fluency Direct as it's what I have to continue to use in my professional environment.

Edit Reason: Formatting and clarity

01/20/2018 04:51 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You should be getting much better M*Modal accuracy but unfortunately, you will NOT be able to transfer artificial intelligence Advanced-Scripting Dragon/KnowBrainer commands because M*Modal does not include artificial intelligence capability or support KnowBrainer 2017 commands. Imagine being able to verbally click into the patient name of an Epic field and simultaneously dictate. As an example, let's say that the patient name field is #57. With KnowBrainer 2017, you could say Click <57> <John Doe> to type “John Doe” into the 57th patient name field. That's about 10 times faster than M*Modal can dream of. If it's not too late, DMPE 4 will be out very very soon. Our NDA doesn't permit us to tell you exactly when but SOON is the key word.

There is no comparison between DMPE 4 and Dragon Medical 10 other than Medical 10 being 5 versions out of date. Medical 10 is simply not a fair comparison to M*Modal, who is also looking at 6 Dragon patent infringements and could wind up out of business. 

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/20/2018 05:16 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Lunis, haven't you read that Steven Hawking warned of artificial intelligence recently?

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

01/20/2018 06:12 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We should've stressed fake artificial intelligence; you know like fake news, apple really is a banana etc.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/20/2018 08:02 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Lunis, if providing alternative facts has become part of your business, who cares anyway. :-)

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
31988 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 550 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 553 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.