Problem with dual monitor   - ScottCFP@ABC - 09/30/2020 06:47 AM  
 Problem with dual monitor   - Mav - 10/01/2020 03:19 AM  
 Problem with dual monitor   - ajwwong - 10/01/2020 03:53 PM  
 Problem with dual monitor   - Ag - 09/30/2020 10:38 PM  
Keyword
 09/29/2020 12:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ajwwong

The text in the dictation box shows up very small when I use A dual monitor And Dragon professional individual is on the other screen.

I am using DPI 14. With a dual monitor setup on Windows 10 with a surface Pro 4 and a attached 23" monitor. The attached monitor has lower resolution, But is actually larger in size.

I made a video below. To illustrate the behavior. I apologize for the typos. It is hard to see and correct things. Thank you for your patience.

https://www.loom.com/share/f34e22c11db6444090abf15d99c94fbf

-------------------------

Lenovo ThinkPad Extreme X1 (i7 with 32 GB RAM) | DPI 15.61

09/29/2020 01:46 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

While I couldn't really see much in the video provided (apart from the weirdly-sized floating classic DragonBar), I think that the different resolutions on your two monitors are the reason.

Most applications don't have a concept of the desktop consisting of a non-rectangular area with different resolutions (I'm not talking about absolute number of pixels but different pixel density on different screens/parts of your desktop), so they use the first screens' properties to calculate their UI.

There's not much you can do apart from changing your Desktop composition.

Perhaps switching first and secondary monitor can make a difference.

Apart from that, Windows 10 has several scaling settings for multiple screens you can play with.

Since your setup is so unique I doubt someone in this forum will be able to reproduce the effect to do testing for you, I'm afraid.

hth,

mav

09/29/2020 11:51 AM

ajwwong

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. :-)

09/29/2020 08:37 PM

ajwwong

I actually recorded the problem with the dual monitor over again so that it might be  more clear. In case this is actually helpful, here it is:

https://www.loom.com/share/b656810566464b1d84c52795bcee42a4

09/30/2020 01:28 AM

Author Icon
ScottCFP@ABC

I watched your second video and then replicated the problem, as I run multiple monitors, each with different resolutions.

It seems the resolution of the monitor on which the dictation box appears impacts its font readability size. When I had the dictation box appear on one of my older 1080 monitors, I found reading the writing in the box fairly easy.

When I relocated the same box onto my more modern ThinkPad laptop which has a far more condensed and higher resolution screen, the box itself became much sharper yet the font smaller, with the writing virtually unreadable.

To solve this I changed the font size used in the dictation box. You may notice a question mark in the top right corner of the dictation box. Besides this on the left is a circular gear cog symbol. By clicking on this you are able to change the font size.

I selected a very large font size. This enabled me to read the writing on all screens.

Thankfully, when I pasted this writing from the dictation box into a new email, the font size settings of the email program (Gmail) automatically overrode those settings coming across from the Dragon dictation box. Put simply, regardless of what size font I used in the dictation box, my email displayed the size I had selected for to Gmail (not the source).

Two other alternatives to consider: 1) use DragonCapture instead of the standard DPI dictation box. The once only $25 purchase for this software is well spent. It's like comparing a fan versus air-conditioning in your motor vehicle. Same car, same outlets… Vastly different experience. 2) use SP pro software. It includes the dictation box on steroids facility along with many other features and shortcuts that I am still learning.

Obviously, the first home handy tool I purchased was Knowbrainer, which you indicate you already have.

ere are links to both of these newer pieces of software if you want to have a look. The forum also has quite a bit of information on these programs.

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=25&threadid=34731&highlight_key=y&keyword1=speech%20productivity

(http://shop.knowbrainer.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2)

I have no connection with either firm rather am a very basic two finger typist who has found the owners of each of the firms who produce this software, along with Lunis and team in Knowbrainer,  to be exceptionally helpful and dedicated. They have been able to move my use of Dragon software from being like riding a bike with training wheels, to now being able to take my bike on long-distance trips and even bush tracks. 

Whilst semi-related, I also discovered the use of an external hub attachment made by StarTech.com and software made by DisplayFusion Pro to be outstanding when used together should you ever want to run multiple different size and brand screens from one laptop. I use a Windows device thus cannot comment from an Apple perspective. Again I have no connection with these companies.

Earlier this year I finished a lengthy period of study culminating in a thesis, with the combination of all of the above making the task so much easier.

Perhaps it will help you. 

Be well

Scott Donoghue

Tasmania

Australia

Scott Donoghue

09/30/2020 06:47 AM

Author Icon
ScottCFP@ABC

I also found this possible solution. It follows on from my experience outlined above with different resolution monitors.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices

I found that the splash screen called 'about dragon' was way too small to read. IT's useful to know my software registration number and exactly which version of DPI I am using given the 15.6 update (or non update, depending on timing and experience). 

I worked out (guessed) which file triggered the about dragon info, followed the change application properties option as outlined and voila... it is very large and readable now. 

I don't know which exact file triggers the Dragon dictation box. If I did, this may also work for that to solve your problem. Alternatively, you could use the solutions above. 

Be well

Scott Donoghue

Scott Donoghue

10/01/2020 03:19 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

The dictation box is being created by Dragon's main process, natspeak.exe (in C:\Program Files (x86)\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Program).

Oh, and another fine catch-22 from MS: On the page you supplied, MS advises to use UWP apps instead of legacy Win32 applications, for example the Remote Desktop App instead of classic mstsc.

Only problem with this is: mstsc does support multi monitor setups (and thus multiple monitors with different resolutions), but the Remote Desktop App doesn't.

hth,

mav

10/01/2020 03:53 PM

ajwwong

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses and replies. I realize that when I use this as a floating toolbox/toolbar, I do find the issue present. When I move it to the other side, it becomes very small. However it appears when I have it as a different view > New -- it becomes corrected. I can transfer the toolbar to the other screen – and actually still works. I hope this makes sense. Thank you for all your help – and I hope that this helps somebody else who has this problem. Basically, the solution is to select options >view >new – and then it seems to work. Thank you everybody for all your input – and the excellent wonderful suggestions. I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness and ideas.

Here's a video example:  

https://www.loom.com/share/f8c5a592034744b89ee513dee20512f2

09/30/2020 10:38 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

I feel your pain: I have four monitors, each with a different dpi, display scaling, number of pixels,…

However, I quickly gave up using in the dictation box in favor of dragon capture, which is a much better behaved program in this regard

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Computer Issues / Recommendations » Problem with dual monitor

Statistics
32173 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 480 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 482 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.