Speechmike Classic II   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/27/2021 11:30 AM  
 Speechmike Classic II   - rpriewasser - 09/30/2021 06:37 AM  
 Speechmike Classic II   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/08/2019 12:42 PM  
Keyword
 09/08/2019 10:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
drcory

Trying to get an older Speechmike Classic LFH5262 to work with Windows or Mac. It is recognized as a mouse and those functions work. However the recent versions of Philips speechcontrol software do not recognize it - likely because it is several years old.

Wondering if anyone here has or knows where to download an older version of speechcontrol to use instead?

Thanks

09/08/2019 11:01 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Unfortunately, Philips stopped supporting the SM II altogether many years and some Windows versions ago, although I forget when it was exactly, but I think I remember that Windows 7 was the last supported OS.

Altough I have moved on the SpeechMike Premium some years ago, I still have two SM II units, and one of them still in use at home, in Windows 10 now, but without the PDCC. The microphone and the mouse still work though, and the left and right click Buttons also, if you need them. It has always run off the generic Windows drivers, and fortunately, the device is still recognised in Windows without any more firmware updates in years, or almost even a decade.

I could provide you with some very old PDCC versions which I have in my archives, dating back to 2009, 2010, and 2011, basically between version 2.5 and 2.7 something, but I doubt that there is much point in installing them on more recent Windows versions, because they are just too dated.

Basically, I would recommend just going with what you have.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

08/27/2021 03:27 AM

Author Icon
rubyit

Originally posted by: R. Wilke Unfortunately, Philips stopped supporting the SM II altogether many years and some Windows versions ago, although I forget when it was exactly, but I think I remember that Windows 7 was the last supported OS. Altough I have moved on the SpeechMike Premium some years ago, I still have two SM II units, and one of them still in use at home, in Windows 10 now, but without the PDCC. The microphone and the mouse still work though, and the left and right click Buttons also, if you need them. It has always run off the generic Windows drivers, and fortunately, the device is still recognised in Windows without any more firmware updates in years, or almost even a decade. I could provide you with some very old PDCC versions which I have in my archives, dating back to 2009, 2010, and 2011, basically between version 2.5 and 2.7 something, but I doubt that there is much point in installing them on more recent Windows versions, because they are just too dated. Basically, I would recommend just going with what you have.

Can you post or message a link to your archived prog?

08/27/2021 03:49 AM

Author Icon
rubyit

of Speech control I found on their website does not

I have a LFH6282

Philips abandoned support for a product they sold for alot of money.

They act like it too difficult to hold on to a tiny program - for their original customers...

Corporate greed.

the 4.4.440 version of speech control that I was able to find on Philips website, does not support my model of Speechmike II, I guess the hardware is too advance for the software .. crazy.

08/27/2021 03:52 AM

Author Icon
rubyit

Ironically - the newest online version (subscription based) does work with this speech mike II.

All I am suggesting for Philips (which doesnt care)

..is that if you are going to EOL a device and support for such device...

Then make the software for it opensource -- DONT BE GREEDY (like the patents that Philips buys of great inventions and then sits on, producing nothing - wasting innovation)

08/27/2021 11:30 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The LFH 6282 dates back to the late 90s (Windows 98) so we believe it is unrealistic to expect it to be supported for more than 2 decades. It takes us up to 2 weeks to obtain parts for our 2001 Jeep Wrangler. Additionally, the LFH 6282 is seriously inferior to their Premium line which adds auto-gain and noise filtering. 

We see no reason to make the Philips PDCC utility open source since they underwent the development costs but Octopus Controller is a third-party utility that can do the job. It was originally designed for the SpeechWare microphone buttons but is universal. We absolutely HATE Philips making their customers hostage by leasing their PDCC which should be freely available to the Philips handheld microphones. As you pointed out, it's not like you didn't pay a premium price for your microphone. It seems like nearly every software manufacturer has gone to leasing platforms and cloud if they get away with it.

PS: Most microphone elements wear out after 8 years or so of frequent use. Saliva eventually corrodes the microphone element. It's time for a new Philips handheld microphone

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

09/30/2021 06:37 AM

Author Icon
rpriewasser

Hello friends,

just a short clarification. PDCC has always been freely available. There was a period of time where one would need to fill out some registration form prior to downloading. This step has been removed recently.

BR Robert

Robert Priewasser

Software Development

https://www.dictation.philips.com/

09/08/2019 12:42 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

If a 1973 Gremlin hatchback still works, do you really need a new car? We believe you do. You are using antiquated last century technology that wasn't even the Clasic II Plus in its time (missing 
F1 - F4 programmable buttons). In our opinion, it would make your life easier to simply upgrade to a more accurate and more noise filtering microphone, which also includes more programmable buttons.

Your LSH-5262 includes a recessed microphone element that has no noise filtering, which translates into lower accuracy and slower word transferings; up to 3 seconds. Phillips tried to incorporate noise filtering but it required a specific distance from your mouth, that didn't work in practice. The Philips SpeechMike Premium (LFH-3510) includes 2 larger microphones. When sound hits the rear microphone, before hitting the front microphone, SpeechMike Premium cancels the sound. There are a number of reasons why they call this model “Premium” but we additionally recommend checking out the Philips SpeeechMike Premium SMP3710 which is the same price but includes a touchpad over the rollerball.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Speechmike Classic II

Statistics
32168 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 476 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 476 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.