KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Using Dragon to operate the Review tab features in Word (comments, thesaurus, etc.)
Topic Summary: Free videos and instructional texts
Created On: 03/06/2022 10:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 03/06/2022 10:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

I know that many of the regular posters on this forum use Dragon for medical or technical content. Heavy use of Dragon in Word for writing and editing in the humanities raises different issues, especially the need to use the features on the Review menu. In case anyone is interested, I have posted videos and instructional texts for using Dragon with the Reviewing features in Word here: https://wordsforsale.us/writing-and-editing-by-voice/using-dragon-for-tracking-and-reviewing/. The material covers inserting and replying to comments, switching between all markup and simple markup, adding comments when you aren't in the Review tab, using the word count feature, and getting out of the thesaurus—which is much more difficult than getting into it. Expert users will probably be familiar with most or all of the material, but newer users might appreciate some of the tips that aren't listed in Dragon's documentation.

-------------------------

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

03/10/2022 02:11 AM

Author Icon
jacklenin
Power Member

These videos are a great resource. Thank you.
 03/10/2022 06:21 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Yes, I am an expert at working with such comments, and I confirm she has found several of the secret methods for getting into the right comment, etc. The Resolve issue cannot be addressed even with VBA scripts. And with the new MS Word commenting experience, the whole comment dialog box has changed and cannot be driven through VBA (bummer). Maybe one day they will provide VBA support.

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

03/20/2022 10:50 PM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

jacklenin and kkkwj,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, I have to report a new issue with MS Word comments. Two or three times in the last couple of weeks I have been unable to trigger the Reply feature by voice and have had to use the Mouse Grid. I haven't been able to confirm this yet, but my best guess is that if the writer or a previous editor of the document has used the much-to-be-deplored Modern Comments, the response to the Reply command is disabled. I am going to have to add a note to my website to report that behavior.

Does anyone know whether Modern Comments can be deactivated in Word 2021 through File - Options? I've heard that dictation is a major problem in Modern Comments but I have Word 2019, which uses the old form of comments, so I have not been able to test the new version.

03/23/2022 01:29 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

I can say that the new modern comments are not fully implemented as much as were the old comments. The old ones had more keybindings available, etc. I read some developer traffic around the modern comments feature, and their goal was to get a first implementation of "similar" commenting UI features across multiple apps, platforms, etc. I could be wrong, but I hope they add more features and accessibility over time. Quite a few of my existing comment commands broke immediately when the upgrade was automatically installed for Office 365.

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

03/30/2022 09:22 PM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

Interesting. I am not sure that that is an acceptable decision on priorities. Making the new comment feature inaccessible to people who need assistive technology seems an ADA violation to me because it is an essential function of Microsoft Word. That would argue for waiting to implement new technology in anything beyond beta versions until accessibility was ensured. If anyone is interested, there is a petition on change.org to keep the option to use classic comments: https://chng.it/MZ2pZVgg5y Although the update on the page says that Microsoft listened and kept the Classic Comments option, that applies to Microsoft 365 and is not guaranteed for the future, so I think continuing to add names to the petition will be valuable.

Statistics
32354 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 381 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 381 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.