KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago
Topic Summary: had DPI for a while and had these issues for just as long... Maybe y'all can help?
Created On: 02/13/2021 08:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 02/13/2021 08:21 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - kkkwj - 02/14/2021 12:13 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/14/2021 12:27 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Tomc - 02/23/2021 12:04 AM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 04/08/2021 12:46 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 02/17/2021 07:29 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Alan Cantor - 02/14/2021 03:03 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - LimJahey - 02/20/2021 01:28 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 02/20/2021 02:01 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Mav - 02/22/2021 03:37 AM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 02/24/2021 11:52 AM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 04/07/2021 06:09 AM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/07/2021 11:39 AM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 04/08/2021 12:06 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/08/2021 03:07 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 04/09/2021 02:17 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/09/2021 02:43 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 04/10/2021 03:37 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/10/2021 08:18 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 04/11/2021 05:01 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/11/2021 06:33 PM  
 2 problems I've had with DPI 15 since I installed it a few months ago   - Twisted_Code - 04/12/2021 12:44 PM  
Keyword
 02/13/2021 08:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

problem #1: I've noticed that if I use the "/" keyboard shortcut to "sleep" the microphone, Dragon will still show attempted recognitions (which always fail) in the recognition balloon thingy. This only happens with the keyboard shortcut; if I tell it "go to sleep", the microphone shuts down properly. Is there a workaround for this?

Problem #2: I've noticed a lot of issues where, when I start speaking, Dragon will "steal" focus from the active window and most of the time will not give it back without me clicking back in the window. In particular, this happens consistently with Firefox whenever I switch to Firefox from another window and then say something. It also happens with Windows Explorer when I'm trying to either rename files or type into the start menu search function (in both cases, the interruption causes my interaction to cancel). I'm not sure what is causing it or if there's anything I can do about it, but it's really frustrating and one of the main reasons I hesitate to buy DPI 15 for my desktop. Anyone know what I might be able to do?

I've been putting up with these problems since I bought DPI 15 back in October, and finally decided I better post something about them to see if anyone here can help. Can you?

-------------------------

“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” ~ Linus Torvalds

"It is good to have empathy.  But it is not essential.  What is essential is that one displays empathy, however one musters it." ~ ax (in a post on this very forums)

more favorite quotes

02/14/2021 12:13 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Sometimes when I'm renaming files Dragon picks up my keyboard sound (or that's my theory) and breaks the interaction, as you say. I use a desk mic, so if you use a wearable mic it might not be a problem for you (if my theory is right). On the other hand, we might both be suffering the same non-mic issue when renaming files. I also see this sometimes when I create a new folder - the interaction ends before I can give the new folder a name, so I end up with New Folder and have to rename it after it is created.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

02/14/2021 12:27 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Or... you can leave keyboarding out of the equation and perform this job 10 times faster. If  you would like to rename files or folders, from within File Explorer, just deploy your KnowBrainer Rename <dictation> command. For example, if you wish to rename your existing “Donald Trump” folder to “Eric Trump” just highlight the folder (which you can also do by voice) and say Rename <Eric Trump>.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

02/23/2021 12:04 AM

Author Icon
Tomc

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt Or... you can leave keyboarding out of the equation and perform this job 10 times faster. If  you would like to rename files or folders, from within File Explorer, just deploy your KnowBrainer Rename command. For example, if you wish to rename your existing “Donald Trump” folder to “Eric Trump” just highlight the folder (which you can also do by voice) and say Rename .

Or better yet, you can just say Delete <Donald Trump> and leave it at that.

04/08/2021 12:46 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

what if I have a folder where I store every time Donald Trump has said something memeably stupid? Don't want to delete that! Even if it would take up the better part of my System drive if stored in MP4 format...

"It is good to have empathy.  But it is not essential.  What is essential is that one displays empathy, however one musters it." ~ ax (in a post on this very forums)

more favorite quotes

02/17/2021 07:29 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

Originally posted by: kkkwj Sometimes when I'm renaming files Dragon picks up my keyboard sound (or that's my theory) and breaks the interaction, as you say. I use a desk mic, so if you use a wearable mic it might not be a problem for you (if my theory is right). On the other hand, we might both be suffering the same non-mic issue when renaming files. I also see this sometimes when I create a new folder - the interaction ends before I can give the new folder a name, so I end up with New Folder and have to rename it after it is created.

thing is, this loss of focus doesn't seem to have anything to do with my keyboard. I don't type with my hands because I'm one of those people using Dragon to compensate for a disability (by the way, thanks again for the complementary KB license, Lunis). Even as I went to type my reply (by voice) to this thread just now, Firefox lost focus again.

more favorite quotes

02/14/2021 03:03 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I've noticed a lot of issues where, when I start speaking, Dragon will "steal" focus from the active window and most of the time will not give it back without me clicking back in the window.

I'm noticing regular Dragon "focus theft" problems with 15.61 that I've never seen before that involve the Start menu and the DragonBar. Because I'm unsure whether the root of the problem is the way my computer is configured or Dragon, I haven't reported it to Nuance.
 02/20/2021 01:28 PM

Author Icon
LimJahey

I also experienced problem #1 on different profiles and installations, I'm not aware of any workarounds for that.

For problem #2, you may want to see if that issue still exists when you're using a new profile. If that doesn't help, this might: https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=19975&enterthread=y#114271

02/20/2021 02:01 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

Originally posted by: LimJahey I also experienced problem #1 on different profiles and installations, I'm not aware of any workarounds for that. For problem #2, you may want to see if that issue still exists when you're using a new profile. If that doesn't help, this might: https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=19975&enterthread=y#114271

actually, reading about those registry settings on Microsoft's site, wouldn't it be better to do the opposite of what that post says? I'm trying to get it so that things (in this case, apparently Dragon itself?) DON'T jump into the foreground while I'm typing.

I guess I'll give it a try both ways. Both those settings are fairly harmless as far as registry edits go, so I can just flip it back if needed

more favorite quotes

02/22/2021 03:37 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Perhaps completely unrelated to your environment, but some time ago a customer of ours was complaining because some text transfer mechanism in one of our applications didn't work.

Turned out something was stealing the focus from a window before we had a chance to paste text there.

In the end we identified the culprit to be some obscure Amazon 1Button browser addon which the secretary somehow had installed and forgotten about.

So you could check your browser addons as well for anything that doesn't play nicely.

hth,

mav

02/24/2021 11:52 AM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

Funny enough, I remember that coming up on a recent antivirus scan (I recently traded Norton for Malwarebytes). I ignored it initially, but I thought I quarantined it after realizing it was flagged as spyware... let me double check and maybe rerun the scan. That could definitely be it.

more favorite quotes

04/07/2021 06:09 AM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

I tried double checking for the Amazon 1Button thing, but couldn't get it to come up on subsequent scans and don't see it in the quarantine tab. I think I might've mixed up my computers as to which computer that extension was installed on?
In any case, I'm still having this issue and want to figure out what's going on. it's one of the reasons I'm hesitating to buy DPI 15 for my other PC (the other two reasons being a minor visual bug I can work around where the recognition indicator stays active even when the mic is asleep, and the fact my other PC is getting old so I don't want to spend the money on it unless there's a way to transfer my DPI 15 license later)

more favorite quotes

04/07/2021 11:39 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Did you know that Dragon is licensed per user but allows you to activate on 5 computers? In other words you can use 5 computers; even simultaneously. Assuming you are the user on the other computer, you shouldn't need to purchase another license.

NEVER purchase from Nuance and we don't recommend calling their support. For the last 2 decades Nuance outsourced support has been telling end-users that they only have 2 activations but as of recently, they have been telling end-users that they have to purchase a Dragon license for each computer they use. We notified Nuance but when the executives hear something they don't like, they typically don't respond. We have no choice but to assume that Nuance is either OK or pretending they are unaware of this unethical behavior

If you are unable to come up with a satisfactory resolution, we offer Global White Glove Remote Support

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/08/2021 12:06 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

oh, sweet! In that case, I can probably just copy the installer from my other computer and let it do its thing, assuming I don't run into any issues. Is it possible to install it simultaneously (that is, without uninstalling DNS Premium 13) so I can test it out, or will I run into issues either with the installer stopping me or KnowBrainer getting confused?

that still doesn't solve my focus issue, but at least I'm not out any money if I upgrade this computer.

more favorite quotes

04/08/2021 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Dragon installation details are included in the KnowBrainer Dragon Installation/Training Guide, which is complementary to our Dragon customers. It also includes pictorial details on dealing with the 3 dozen sandtraps.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/09/2021 02:17 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

Heh, any chance I can get a complementary copy of that with proof of disability (though you might still have my POD on file)? To be honest I probably wouldn't mind paying $20 either way as valuable as this complementary KB Pro license has been (especially with games where I have to hold down multiple keys simultaneously), but I am at least curious if you offer the same deal with that.

more favorite quotes

04/09/2021 02:43 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

KnowBrainer 2017 (w/2020 AI Commands) is free to anyone with permanent physical disabilities. We see that you already have a complimentary copy of but the Guide is only freely available to our customers

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/10/2021 03:37 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

understandable! nonetheless, I think you can safely expect a purchase within the next week or so (edit: purchased!). After the support I've received over the past few years since discovering your stuff, it's the least I can do :-)

Edit: why does Fusetalk not support Unicode emoji's? Seems to convert them all to "??"

more favorite quotes

04/10/2021 08:18 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you click the Reply button, you will see Emojis are included but unfortunately, this forum only supports these Emojis

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/11/2021 05:01 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

might want to get a better forum? Unicode isn't exactly a new thing, and neither are the basic emoji codepoints. And if in doubt, leave the character untouched and let the browser handle it...

more favorite quotes

04/11/2021 06:33 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We spent $35,000 developing this forum. The development is outsourced so we can't afford to change; even though we would like a number of other features that are no longer possible. This is the world's most expensive forum software. It is used by companies like Dell. We bought in because we figured development would continue. We were wrong

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/12/2021 12:44 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code
Power Member

ouch...

more favorite quotes

Statistics
32171 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 479 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 483 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.