KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Speech engine returned the following error: 175
Topic Summary: Cannot open user profile; backups exist; next steps?
Created On: 01/05/2021 04:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Speech engine returned the following error: 175   - carningli - 01/05/2021 04:53 AM  
 Speech engine returned the following error: 175   - Stephan Kuepper - 01/05/2021 08:35 AM  
 Speech engine returned the following error: 175   - carningli - 01/05/2021 09:17 AM  
 Speech engine returned the following error: 175   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/05/2021 11:44 AM  
 Speech engine returned the following error: 175   - carningli - 01/06/2021 03:26 AM  
 Speech engine returned the following error: 175   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/06/2021 10:49 AM  
Keyword
 01/05/2021 04:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
carningli

I am running DPI 15.6 (not sure if it is 15.61 or not - the download link was sent to me by Lunis on 23 October 2020) under Windows 10. I have one work profile (DanMain) as well as a dummy profile (DummyEmpty). This morning I tried to open DanMain as usual, and got a dialog box saying: "Speech engine returned the following error: 175". The DragonBar appears, but no profile is loaded. The DummyEmpty profile loads fine.

I cannot immediately think of anything that might have triggered this.

If I go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features and right-click Dragon I am offered the choice of Uninstall or Change. I select Change and Dragon prompts me to close Chrome. I do so and click Retry. After a few seconds I get "Dragon setup requires elevation. Please run setup.exe from the installation source."

Windows UAC is currently turned off as per Quick Tips. I originally used the downloaded DPI15.6.exe to install/update the software, so there is no obvious "setup.exe" to elevate, even if I wanted to do so. As can be seen from the screenshot below, I appear to have a backup from Sunday, so I am not yet panicking, but I am wondering what to do next. (There is also "backup", which I took this morning.)

The Quick Tips document mentions "Error 166, 168 and 174" but not Error 175. It suggests renaming the "current" folder to "old". In this case "current" is or should be the latest known good version from Sunday, so I'm not sure that is appropriate or not.

Perhaps I should try uninstalling Dragon, while maintaining user data, and reinstalling using the DPI15.6.exe from October? Any advice gratefully received, as I have work ongoing and deadlines to meet.

Regards,

Dan

DragonProfile.png
DragonProfile.png  (60 KB)

01/05/2021 08:35 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

This is a corrupt user profile. Reinstalling Dragon will have no effect.

The Quick Tips are spot on: rename your "current" folder to something like "current_old", and your backup folder to "current". That should take care of the issue.

Hope that helps, Stephan

-------------------------

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

01/05/2021 09:17 AM

Author Icon
carningli

Stephan, thanks for this. I tried the one from Sunday, which should have been fine, because it worked until this morning, but that didn't work. I found another backup from 28 December and copied that over, and that did seem to work. So far, so good.

Dan
 01/05/2021 11:44 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Stephan nailed it. The following just adds a tiny bit of information:

By default, Dragon automatically makes a backup user profile. The “current” folder, as the name implies, includes your current information while the “backup” folder is a carbon copy of your “current” folder, which is overwritten every 5 times you save your user. You probably haven't had have enough time from Sunday until now to save your user profile 5 times, which creates a new backup folder. While your December 28 user profile is working, we have concerns about what's going on. We've only had one 1 of our user profiles corrupt in over 2 decades. We can't guarantee the following but ever since Nuance decided that Dragon should automatically save your user profile when you exit, our customer user profile corruption complaints have gone up around 400%. In our opinion, this was a stupid Dragon implementation that no one asked for. Do you really want to save your user profile when you have laryngitis? How about when you are trying out a new vocabulary and prefer not to use it? You would literally have to End Task Dragon via the Task Manager.

If you would like to prevent Dragon from automatically saving your user profile, you have 2 options:

1. Deploy the KnowBrainer Close Dragon and KnowBrainer command.

2.  Look up “automatically saving your profile when exiting” in the Quick Tips at the top of this page for a hack. As an additional bonus, after making this change, you will be given a choice to save or discard your changes, like before.   

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/06/2021 03:26 AM

Author Icon
carningli

Thank you for this Lunis. I tend to save my user profile every time I add something to my vocabulary, on the assumption that otherwise it would not otherwise be persistent (perhaps mistakenly?). In my case it is therefore quite possible that this minimum "five saves" trigger for a backup is hit in a single session. Given the way I use the software - lots of proper nouns and technical jargon - I guess this is unavoidable.

I think I will set up some software to make a rotating backup of the "current" folder every 2 or 3 days, and keep them for a month. At least then not all will be lost in the event of a corrupted profile.

Regards,
Dan
 01/06/2021 10:49 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We Acronis True Image backup our user profile and everything else every day at 4 PM. Of course that can also backup a corrupted user profile. As a backup to the backup, we schedule a rotating Outlook Calendar appointment reminder for the 1st day of every month; to make a manual backup. We leave a shortcut to our user folder address on our desktop and inside that folder, added another shortcut to an external drive so that we can quickly open the Dragon user folder and drag it over the shortcut. We recommend copying your entire user profile and not try to save room by only copying your current folder. There are a few settings which are not included in your current folder. After establishing 3 monthly backups, you can begin deleting the older backups to save space. Even if you never experience a corrupted user profile, you may need something from 1 of your previous backups such as that command you deleted and now realize you need back. The entire process takes about 3 seconds.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31988 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 571 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 571 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.