KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365
Topic Summary: Dictating PowerPoint 365 comments
Created On: 10/11/2020 12:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - kevgrogg - 10/11/2020 12:48 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - R. Wilke - 10/11/2020 01:48 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - Matt_Chambers - 10/11/2020 03:48 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - R. Wilke - 10/11/2020 04:04 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - Laura - 01/15/2021 08:06 AM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - Laura - 01/15/2021 08:19 AM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - Laura - 01/15/2021 08:29 AM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/15/2021 12:51 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - dilligence - 01/15/2021 02:48 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - R. Wilke - 01/15/2021 03:20 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - bmac - 01/16/2021 04:45 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - dilligence - 01/16/2021 08:22 PM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - lifeisgood - 01/15/2021 08:34 AM  
 Dictating into the Comments field in PowerPoint 365   - R. Wilke - 01/15/2021 09:24 AM  
Keyword
 10/11/2020 12:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kevgrogg

What is the best way to dictate comments into PowerPoint 365? I understand PowerPoint does not have full text control (I may have that name wrong); full dictation is not supported. I can dictate in NotePad and copy/paste by voice. Curious if there is a faster/better way to do this. I've found this in several versions of DPG (15.1 and 15.6).

10/11/2020 01:48 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Here is your plan, in just a couple of steps:

- Download the latestt DragonCapture installer (MSI) as per previous embedded link

- Shutdown Dragon

- Run the installer you just downloaded

- Restart Dragon, when prompted, activate a trial licence for DragonCapture following the prompts

- Do nothing other than placing the cursor into your application which doesn't have full test control, and you are right on target as far as the naming

- Just start dictating as you normally would, and please report back what happens

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

10/11/2020 03:48 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke Here is your plan, in just a couple of steps: - Download the latestt DragonCapture installer (MSI) as per previous embedded link

- Shutdown Dragon - Run the installer you just downloaded - Restart Dragon, when prompted, activate a trial licence for DragonCapture following the prompts - Do nothing other than placing the cursor into your application which doesn't have full test control, and you are right on target as far as the naming - Just start dictating as you normally would, and please report back what happens

And Mr. Wilke is ever so slightly off target, which is quite rare!  :-)

Ironic that Dragon didn't get "full text control" right.

10/11/2020 04:04 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Matt_Chambers
Originally posted by: R. Wilke Here is your plan, in just a couple of steps: - Download the latestt DragonCapture installer (MSI) as per previous embedded link

- Shutdown Dragon - Run the installer you just downloaded - Restart Dragon, when prompted, activate a trial licence for DragonCapture following the prompts - Do nothing other than placing the cursor into your application which doesn't have full test control, and you are right on target as far as the naming - Just start dictating as you normally would, and please report back what happens

And Mr. Wilke is ever so slightly off target, which is quite rare!  :-)

Ironic that Dragon didn't get "full text control" right.

Perhaps a matter of teething troubles, quite literally. The blame is not on Dragon, as always.

DragonCapture Homepage

01/15/2021 08:06 AM

Laura
Power Member

A quick report to say that so far DragonCapture, which I downloaded this morning, is working like a dream in PowerPoint. This is a lifesaver for me as a disabled user as I'm having to write far more on my PowerPoint slides in order to teach remotely. Two glitches which I have noticed so far, which might be correctable if I could receive some advice: (1) frequently the space bar does not operate in the main slide; and
(2) it seems to work to bring up the corrections box, but then after I have corrected and trained the correction disappears and the correction does not appear in the slide (or the notes that is where I am dictating). I don't know whether this is a problem because I am using three monitors, which is required for my work, but the Alt+Tab he does not bring up the corrections box.

Many thanks,
Laura

01/15/2021 08:19 AM

Laura
Power Member

A further update: when I try to train a correction in the correction box, the command "click train" brings up my Windows Calendar, which is rather odd. The correction box then disappears.

Best wishes,

Laura

01/15/2021 08:29 AM

Laura
Power Member

Further update: now the dragon dictation box is finally appeared (it has not been appearing for several days now!and it is overriding DragonCapture.  I would appreciate a solution here as I have a lot of lectures to write and record for the start of term.

Thanks,
Laura

01/15/2021 12:51 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Laura Further update: now the dragon dictation box is finally appeared (it has not been appearing for several days now!and it is overriding DragonCapture...

Try removing the checkmark from Use Dictation Box for unsupported applications in your DragonBar Option/Miscellaneou tab

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/15/2021 02:48 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

kevgrogg,

Let me quote (and reply to) some of Wilke’s claims:

"Trying to edit/correct the non-supported application/window is hit or miss. DragonCapture, by itself, isn't involved in it."

Trying to edit/correct in non-supported applications by voice is ALWAYS a miss and DragonCapture offers no functionality here.

"You might even try correcting "remotely", thus saying "correct that", for instance, from inside the target app. But there is no guarantee it will always work."

Sounds exotic. However, we all know that when the app is speech unfriendly saying "correct that" will never work. The best that will do is something similar to "undo that". You cannot correct specific phrases, words etc.  

What probably will work in this situation are the Change <dictation>, Replace <dictation>, with <dictation> and Remove <dictation> commands featured in Text Tools (part of SP 6 PRO).

"What always works, however, is to switch to the box in Delayed Mode and edit/correct in there, by saying "switch to box", where you have full Select-and-Say. Once you are done, say "Paste Box" or "Transfer" to switch back and paste to the previous target in one go."

This involves more steps than saying a simple "DB" or "QB" after which you have immediate Select-and-Say control, Semi-Automatic Relaunch and a pile of additional productivity options. Not to mention full formatting options.

And now we are getting to the interesting part . If you use the innovative Auto Box featured in SP 6 Standard you will only need to say a simple "AB" once. From that point on you can keep on dictating with full Select-and-Say AND full Automatic Transfers.

If you do make a mistake after all, Auto Box can undo that for you directly in the target application.

For your consideration.

01/15/2021 03:20 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Rob Maulemann,

You are misquoting and misunderstanding me, most likely on purpose, and if not, probably because you don't get it.

Bottom line: your are not even close.

DragonCapture Homepage

01/16/2021 04:45 PM

Author Icon
bmac
Top-Tier Member

[BMAC] Here are some additional comments which might help from one who uses DragonCapture with heavy dependence on Microsoft Office 365, including [especially] Microsoft OneNote (not Dragon friendly):

Let me quote (and reply to) some of Wilke’s claims (black & blue font is from Rob Meulman:

"Trying to edit/correct the non-supported application/window is hit or miss. DragonCapture, by itself, isn't involved in it."

[BMAC] Rob, your above statement is not totally correct. In Microsoft OneNote, DragonCapture makes it very easy for me to dictate to a blank page. If I make a mistake on my dictation, DragonCapture does recognize the “correct …..” command, and the 'Correct' dialog does pop up in OneNote, but as Rüdiger stated, it seems to be hit and miss but I can guarantee it has worked at times.

Trying to edit/correct in non-supported applications by voice is ALWAYS a miss and DragonCapture offers no functionality here.

"You might even try correcting "remotely", thus saying "correct that", for instance, from inside the target app. But there is no guarantee it will always work."

Sounds exotic. However, we all know that when the app is speech unfriendly saying "correct that" will never work ([BMAC] sorry DragonCapture makes this possible -- “correct that” brings up the entire utterance just spoken and “correct one word of the utterance” brings up just that word in the Dragon correction menu). The best that will do is something similar to "undo that". You cannot correct specific phrases, words etc.  

What probably will work in this situation are the Change <dictation>, Replace <dictation>, with <dictation> and Remove <dictation> commands featured in Text Tools (part of SP 6 PRO).

"What always works, however, is to switch to the box in Delayed and edit/correct in there, by saying "switch to box", where you have full Select-and-Say. Once you are done, say "Paste Box" or "Transfer" to switch back and paste to the previous target in one go."

This involves more steps than saying a simple "DB" or "QB" after which you have immediate Select-and-Say control, Semi-Automatic Relaunch and a pile of additional productivity options. Not to mention full formatting options.

[BMAC] I’m sorry, your statement, Rob, is somewhat picky. It was very fast and convenient to click in the DragonCapture box to initiate delayed mode, speak several sentences using correction and other editing techniques and then the simple statement to paste box in the document. Now I don’t usually do that because DragonCapture works so well in the OneNote non-Select-and-Say environment, but it is good to know that this capability exists.

And now we are getting to the interesting part . If you use the innovative Auto Box featured in SP 6 Standard you will only need to say a simple "AB" once. From that point on you can keep on dictating with full Select-and-Say AND full Automatic Transfers.

[BMAC] I was an early adopter of your product but then switched to DragonCapture because I felt it offered more functionality to the way I do things.

If you do make a mistake after all, Auto Box can undo that for you directly in the target application.

[BMAC] I hope this is taken as constructive discussion. Both products are good but may appeal to different users depending on their work styles.

Bill
DPI 15.61, KB 2017, SpeechStart +, customized Desktop PC (AMD 12 core 9th gen Ryzen 9 3900x@3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDD4 SSD), Crucial 1 TB m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Philips SpeechMike Air 4000, Philips speech Mike 3500, SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike, MS Office 365 Professional and Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7

01/16/2021 08:22 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

No problem at all Bill, thanks for your sincere contribution. I'm glad DragonCapture works for you. 

You have a valid point when it comes to the dictation capability of both programs. It really depends on your work style.

However, it may be worthwhile noting that dictating in speech unfriendly applications is just one of the many features of SP. Particularly in the latest versions.

I didn't know you were an early supporter of my program :-). After all, it's hard to tell who's behind a forum nickname. But I definitely appreciate it!

I don't know if SP is still installed on your system. If it is then you are more than welcome to a free copy of Auto Box. I think you will find it and interesting (additional) tool. Just send me an email if you are interested.

Best,

Rob

01/15/2021 08:34 AM

Author Icon
lifeisgood
Top-Tier Member

You can also create a MS Word document and then insert it into Powerpoint. Here is a set of instructions:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/import-a-word-document-c926abd3-4aa9-4b13-a531-587c6752bda7#_outline

01/15/2021 09:24 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Laura,

Many thanks for giving DragonCapture a try.

Trying to edit/correct the non-supported application/window is hit or miss. DragonCapture, by itself, isn't involved in it. The handling isn't as obvious, however. I am currently in the process of producing a tutorial video which should make things clearer to everyone, and hopefully will. For now, I will just quote myself from the script that I am using for the video:

DragonCapture is all about dictation, and it does not handle commands, except for the ones which are built into it. Dragon commands are not affected, DragonCapture doesn't even listen for them.

DragonCapture also doesn't add Select-and-Say to the target, although it may seem so. Therefore, editing the target is not supported, but if a mistake has been made or if you are unhappy with your previous utterance, say "remove this", pause and and just dictate once more.

Nota bene: using "remove this" only goes for "Instant Mode", with AutoPaste turned on, that is, see below please.

And just to give you a few pointers for now:

As far as editing/correcting/training, you can either use a fully supported application for this, such as DragonPad, or run the DragonCapture box in a different mode, by turning off AutoPaste, which will switch from Instant Mode (the default, with AutoPaste on) to Delayed Mode (with AutoPaste off). You can always toggle between these modes by just saying "AutoPaste", which is one of the built-in commands.

In Delayed Mode, you can go on dictating the same way as in Instant Mode, except for your dictation not being transmitted instantly, but remaining in the box until you say "Paste Box" or just "Transfer".

You might even try correcting "remotely", thus saying "correct that", for instance, from inside the target app. But there is no guarantee it will always work.

What always works, however, is to switch to the box in Delayed Mode and edit/correct in there, by saying "switch to box", where you have full Select-and-Say. Once you are done, say "Paste Box" or "Transfer" to switch back and paste to the previous target in one go.

Hoping that makes some sense. If not, or if you have any questions, do come back, and you might also contact me through my website. I will always get back to questions as soon as I can, my full-time day job allowing.

PS: "Instant Mode" and "Delayed Mode" is new terminology, actually. Unfortunately, it almost took me two years to get into doing this tutorial and realising that the concept might be better explained this way.

DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
31988 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 746 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 746 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.