KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon compatible alternatives to Google docs and sheets?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/12/2018 09:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon compatible alternatives to Google docs and sheets?   - Future_Ethics - 05/12/2018 09:19 PM  
 Dragon compatible alternatives to Google docs and sheets?   - PG LTU - 05/12/2018 09:45 PM  
 Dragon compatible alternatives to Google docs and sheets?   - esjesjesj - 05/14/2018 08:29 AM  
 Dragon compatible alternatives to Google docs and sheets?   - Scribe - 05/14/2018 10:56 AM  
 Dragon compatible alternatives to Google docs and sheets?   - Ag - 01/12/2021 04:10 PM  
Keyword
 05/12/2018 09:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Future_Ethics
Power Member

I need to write collaboratively on projects for work. Normally I would use Google Docs and sheets for this, but they're not very compatible with Dragon. The main feature that I need from Google Docs and sheets is for there to be one copy of the document online that updates in response to anyone's changes in real time. I've tried making this work in the past by downloading the Google doc as a Word document, letting people know that I downloaded it, editing it, and then re-uploading it as the Google doc. It's quite a bit more trouble to do this, however. Is there another option that could play a similar role that is more compatible with Dragon? I may lose my job if I don't find a workable solution to this.

05/12/2018 09:45 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Office 365 / Word 2016 and Word Android apparently too has that. Actually people don't exactly see your speech hit the page the same as we do live, but they still marvel at it (it hits in big magic chunks) if they didn't know you had the Dragon stenographer hard at work and pecking away at your end . . .
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/collaborate-on-word-documents-with-real-time-co-authoring-7dd3040c-3f30-4fdd-bab0-8586492a1f1d
"When they open and work in the document in Word 2016, Word Online and Word Android you'll see each other's changes as soon as they're made."

-------------------------

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

05/14/2018 08:29 AM

Author Icon
esjesjesj

I use Google docs all the time and I use two different techniques depending on my goals. Frequently I set NaturallySpeaking up to just directly dictate into the browser. I don't worry about Select-and-Say because it's more important to get text into the browser for collaborative purposes. If I'm writing by myself, I'll use the dictation box explicitly. I still have to select things manually but, if you can do that much then it works okay.

Unfortunately, this is one of those moments where nuance corporate's lack of TLC is really hurting us. I only use one application which is sometimes compatible with NaturallySpeaking (i.e. chrome). Everything else is a workaround.

05/14/2018 10:56 AM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: esjesjesj Unfortunately, this is one of those moments where nuance corporate's lack of TLC is really hurting us. I only use one application which is sometimes compatible with NaturallySpeaking (i.e. chrome). Everything else is a workaround.

Honestly, I think this is not a Nuance problem but rather the near-complete indifference to disability accessibility by companies such as Google. They choose to code in ways that are not compatible with Select-and-Say technology.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

01/12/2021 04:10 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

late addition: like the original poster, Google Docs is widely used by my employer and by the industry consortia I work with. But at first I found Google Docs to be not very speech friendly.

Like @esjesjesj I often don't worry about Select-and-Say. In fact, even without Google Docs I am usually using Microsoft OneNote, or Thunderbird, neither of which have Select-and-Say.

there did not seem to be many or even any KnowBrainer predefined Google docs speech commands. And at first it looked like it would be painful, since not everything in Google Docs is easily accessible by a key sequence.

But then I learned that you can do alt+/ to get to a "menu search". that is actually quite powerful, arguably more powerful and more robust than many hockey/keyboard shortcut approaches

e.g. I frequently need to highlight in Google Docs. so I send alt+/, then the Which gets stuck into the search box
E.g. PUFF highlight yellow
and the menu command that highlights with the color I have specified is nearly always at the top.

In fact, I've just defined one single command for nearly all of the Google Docs menu navigation. And then I'm creating more specific commands if I need them.

---

This is in some ways much more robust than send keying of keyboard shortcuts. Google has a habit of changing the keyboard shortcuts, but these search commands are longer human readable strings, and will work even if the keyboard shortcuts change. Of course, it might start failing if Google adds conflicting menu item names, etc.

It is not as good as a command language. But it's better than keyboard shortcuts. And you need less coding.

---

I would send this to you all, except that I have coded it in AutoHotKey invoked from KnowBrainer PUFF .

you could do the same in KnowBrainer/Dragon basics/whatever

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
31988 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 531 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 535 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.