KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon hanging repeatedly
Topic Summary: Has any solution been found for this in the meantime?
Created On: 08/01/2012 04:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/01/2012 04:33 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/01/2012 04:46 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - brainybanana - 08/01/2012 08:55 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/01/2012 09:08 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - Chucker - 08/01/2012 10:28 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/01/2012 10:39 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - hmyer - 08/01/2012 10:45 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/02/2012 11:41 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - DavidW - 08/02/2012 12:03 PM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/03/2012 01:07 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - DavidW - 08/03/2012 03:43 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - DavidW - 08/07/2012 02:37 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/08/2012 12:06 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - DavidW - 08/08/2012 02:22 PM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/08/2012 10:08 PM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - DavidW - 08/08/2012 11:57 PM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/03/2012 03:51 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - monkey8 - 08/03/2012 06:52 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/03/2012 07:04 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - monkey8 - 08/03/2012 07:46 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/03/2012 07:52 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - monkey8 - 08/03/2012 08:32 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - Chucker - 08/03/2012 04:01 PM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - monkey8 - 08/03/2012 05:53 PM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/04/2012 11:45 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - R. Wilke - 08/03/2012 11:13 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/03/2012 11:26 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - R. Wilke - 08/03/2012 11:35 AM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/03/2012 12:06 PM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - R. Wilke - 08/03/2012 12:58 PM  
 Dragon hanging repeatedly   - IanW - 08/09/2012 12:48 PM  
Keyword
 08/01/2012 04:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

IanW

I've just been researching a problem that I am currently having whereby Dragon hangs regularly (I use it with translation environment memoQ).

I had read that this is often caused by Adobe PDF Reader X, which I duly deinstalled and replaced with Nuance PDF Reader. All was fine yesterday and now it's just happened again.

In a forum thread here - http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=14197&highlight_key=y&keyword1=hanging  - Lunis said that "Unfortunately a number of end-users are suffering from this problem, including us".

Has a solution been found for this problem? If so, could someone point me to it.

Thanks

Ian

-------------------------

• Dragon Professional Individual (15.30.000.006)

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

• Windows 10 (MS Office 10)

• Translator management software: MemoQ (8.7 Translator Pro)

• www.insight-translations.de

08/01/2012 04:46 AM

IanW

One thing that I've noticed it that, just before it hangs, DNS stops recognising commands such as "Press F10" or "Make that a phrase". Then it works normally for dictation for a minute or two and then hangs.

Does that help at all?

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/01/2012 08:55 AM

Author Icon
brainybanana
Top-Tier Member

Ian, I am not aware of any solution to this particular problem, which is one I have not personally experienced. However, looking at your user profile, I could not help but notice that you are running a PC with only 4 GB of RAM, which is pretty basic. Running Windows 7 with Microsoft Word, DNS, and your translation programs; you need much more processing power. Perhaps you should consider installing more RAM and/or treating yourself to a new machine with an absolute minimum of 12/16 GB of RAM with a modern fast processor.

In the past, when utilising a laptop, which could be only describe as Dickensian, Command Execution could be problematic but I never had any real issues with dictation. As you mention your problem only seems to be occurring when executing commands such as: 'Make That a Phrase' makes me think your problem is possibly related to a lack of computer processing power. If you upload your Dragon log individuals such as Rüdiger and monkey8, who are much more knowledgeable will be able to discern if the problem is something more systemic.

The phenomenon of DNS 'hanging' is one that I have experienced, attributable to the inherent instability of DNS 11. Hopefully these matters have been resolved with the forthcoming release of DNS 12, which I'm sure will bring its own challenges and problems when it is released!

Dragon Professional Individual v15, Windows 7, Intel Core i7 3630QM, 16GB of RAM. At home: SpeechWare 6-in-1. Travelling: FlexyMike SEC with Buddy 7 Soundcard.

08/01/2012 09:08 AM

IanW

Thanks for your answer, BB.

I hardly think 4GB is basic - I've run it on half before. I've actually just bought a new computer (4GB) and the old one had 4GB as well and DNS ran wonderfully on both (up until this problem occurred last week). So I really don't think that's the problem.

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/01/2012 10:28 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Ian,

Why don't you attach a copy of your Dragon log so we can take a look at your entire system and how it's responding to Dragon.

On the other hand, Brainybanana is correct, although I wouldn't put it as 4 GB of RAM being basic. It's minimal when running Windows 7, particularly Windows 7 64-bit. Windows 7 is a bit of a resource hog. With only 4 GB of RAM under Windows 7 your user profile is eventually going to expand to the point where 4 GB maybe just barely sufficient. Regardless, your Dragon log will tell us a lot more about what's going on under the hood.

Chuck

"Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count." Albert Einstein

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

08/01/2012 10:39 AM

IanW

Thanks Chucker - here's the log file.

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/01/2012 10:45 AM

Author Icon
hmyer
Advanced Member

Nuance says 2 gigs is the minimum requirement.

http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/dragon/product-resources/system-requirements/index.htm

08/02/2012 11:41 AM

IanW

Quick update: When this problem originally occurred, I found a posting by Chucker that said that the problem may well be related to Adobe Reader X. As I mentioned above, I duly deinstalled this and replaced with Nuance PDF Reader. To be on the safe side, I also removed Adobe Flash Player (presumably the latest version) at the same time. I'm pretty sure that the problem only reoccurred when I installed Adobe Flash Player again the following day. I deinstalled it again first thing this morning after the problem occurred after ten minutes of usage and it hasn't reoccurred all day.

I'm well aware that this may be nothing but coincidence but is there any evidence in the log file (above) that this might be due to Adobe Flash Player? And can anyone recommend any alternatives?

Thanks

Ian

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/02/2012 12:03 PM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: IanW When this problem originally occurred, I found a posting by Chucker that said that the problem may well be related to Adobe Reader X. As I mentioned above, I duly deinstalled this and replaced with Nuance PDF Reader. To be on the safe side, I also removed Adobe Flash Player (presumably the latest version) at the same time. I'm pretty sure that the problem only reoccurred when I installed Adobe Flash Player again the following day.

There is no alternative to Flash Player - it is a proprietary runtime. However, the very latest version (11.3.300.268) is working fine on my machine alongside Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11.5. Mmy experience is that the troublesome versions of Flash Player are 11.3 versions before (but not including) 11.3.300.265.

The problems with Adobe Reader X and Adobe Acrobat X are ancient history. From version 10.1 upwards, these were fixed. (I don't know off hand what is the latest version of Reader X, as this machine has Acrobat Pro X installed and the version numbers do not always stay in step between Acrobat and Reader).

David Wood

Hardware: Olympus DS-7000 (for dictation) - Olympus AS-7000 (for manual transcription) - Olympus DM-670 with ME-30W microphones (for seminars and events)

Software: DPI 15 - Olympus ODMS 6.2 (Dictation and Transcription Modules)

08/03/2012 01:07 AM

IanW

Thanks, David - so you think there is a connection between Flash Player and this particular problem?

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/03/2012 03:43 AM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: IanW Thanks, David - so you think there is a connection between Flash Player and this particular problem?

There was a connection between Flash Player and this problem. Assuming you have upgraded to Flash Player 11.3.300.265 or later (and you should always use the latest version), this problem is fixed in my experience. Others here have reported similar results.

The background to both the Flash Player and Reader X / Acrobat X problems is a desire for greater security. Finding an exploit in one of these programs is the most common ways to inject malware via a browser (typically via so-called stack smashing attacks). Quite apart from regular security fixes to the Adobe code, the best way to limit the impact of any exploits is to reduce the privileges that these plugins have when running, so that any exploit can only take control of a sandbox with limited privileges.

From Vista onwards, Windows offers a solution called Protected Mode, which Reader X / Acrobat X took advantage of first. Protected Mode support was introduced into Flash Player from the first 11.3 release. However, Protected Mode significantly complicates the calling protocols between the operating system and the Protected Mode software, so mistakes are possible. These often show up when software like Dragon NaturallySpeaking hooks into the operating system - hence the HOOKERR errors. Fortunately, Adobe addressed the problems and released fixed versions.

Adobe released a work-round to disable Protected Mode in Flash Player 11.3 - a greatly preferable solution to downgrading to an earlier version with known security vulnerabilities that leaves your machine open to attack. They moved fairly swiftly to fix the initial problems with Flash Player 11.3. From 11.3.300.265, I was able to re-enable Protected Mode in Flash Player without any problems. I don't believe there is any need to disable Protected Mode in Flash Player now.

In summary:

• Keep web browsers and browser plug-ins up to date - this is a key defence against malware attacks (the others are to install Windows Updates promptly, and to install and use reputable anti-virus software). With Flash Player, simply uninstall whatever you have installed at present, install the latest ActiveX and Plugin versions, seriously considering accepting the default of enabling auto-updating.
  • Do not follow outdated advice to downgrade Flash Player to an earlier version or disable Protected Mode - there should be no need any more. If you do encounter problems, disable Protected Mode rather than running an outdated version (though this does require manually editing a file in your Windows folder - it is deliberately difficult to discourage it unless necessary).
  • If you use Firefox, run Mozilla's Plugin Check frequently and act on any concerns it reveals.

David Wood

Hardware: Olympus DS-7000 (for dictation) - Olympus AS-7000 (for manual transcription) - Olympus DM-670 with ME-30W microphones (for seminars and events)

08/07/2012 02:37 AM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: DavidW From [Flash Player] 11.3.300.265, I was able to re-enable Protected Mode in Flash Player without any problems. I don't believe there is any need to disable Protected Mode in Flash Player now.

I may have been too hasty in that judgment - I've started to have problems with Protected Mode in Flash Player 11.3.300.268, possibly because I've had it running a lot as a media player within Firefox, catching up on listening to the BBC Proms, which means I've had Flash Player running a lot more than usual.

I've added ProtectedMode=0 back to Flash Player's mms.cfg as I have work to do (rather than messing around chasing bugs). This is definitely the least worst option - I have the security and operational advantages of an up to date Flash Player, and disabling Protected Mode merely puts me back to the position prior to Flash Player 11.3, where Flash Player runs inside Firefox's plugin-container, rather than in a separate process under Protected Moed.

I'll re-enable Protected Mode from time to time as new versions of Flash Player emerge, so that I can take advantage of its security benefits as soon as it is mature. I'll also try Protected Mode again in the likely event that I upgrade to Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.

David Wood

08/08/2012 12:06 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

One interesting aspect of NaturallySpeaking 12, that we mentioned in our NaturallySpeaking 12 Review, is that Nuance decided to tackle this issue head-on and built a version of Adobe Flash right into the NaturallySpeaking 12 installer. That’s one way to button up a problem.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/08/2012 02:22 PM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt One interesting aspect of NaturallySpeaking 12, that we mentioned in our NaturallySpeaking 12 Review, is that Nuance decided to tackle this issue head-on and built a version of Adobe Flash right into the NaturallySpeaking 12 installer. That’s one way to button up a problem.

Bundling Flash Player is either an ineffective solution or a positively harmful one.

Installing the latest version of Flash Player to ensure a certain minimum version just about makes sense if there was a suitably good version at the time the installer was built. However, I'd argue that it is, at best, an ineffective step - Flash Player does not stay static for long, with a new release typically every few weeks. Adobe's default and recommended option is to leave the auto-updater enabled (and, in my opinion, it would be unconscionable for a third party product to disable the auto-updater, considering the security implications), so any version installed with Dragon NaturallySpeaking will likely not stay around for long on people's systems for long. In 18 months' time (taking a typical product cycle lengthfor Dragon NaturallySpeaking), any bundled version of Flash Player will be positively antique.

Are you sure that Nuance have bundled Flash Player with the release build of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12? Bundling Flash Player would make sense for a limited pre-release build which has a short lifespan and goes to a small number of resellers and SDK owners. It doesn't, in my opinion, make sense for a release version.

Adobe appear to be moving away from bundling Flash Player with their own products because it doesn't stay static for long enough. Up to and including CS5.5, the Flash authoring environment installed Flash Player. In CS6, at least in my experience, the installer did not try to install Flash Player. I'd got so used to cleaning up the mess when the Creative Suite installer force downgraded Flash Player to the version in the Creative Suite installer that I uninstalled Flash Player before installing CS6 Master Collection. I was surprised to find no Flash Player was installed after the Creative Suite installation process had ended. Typically, by the time the Creative Suite installers were built and shipped, there had already been a later version of Flash Player publicly released.

However, Nuance's approach of bunding Flash Player with Dragon NaturallySpeaking is positively harmful if it is either a custom build or disables Protected Mode. Sticking with a custom build is a non-starter, because Flash Player is the amongst the top (and probably is the top) vector for malware and therefore has regular security critical patches. It isn't viable to stick with one version for more than a few weeks if you care about security.

Disabling Protected Mode is needed for now on many people's systems if they use Dragon NaturallySpeaking - but I'm sure that work-round won't be needed indefinitely. It would be a shame - and, in my opinion harmful - if the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 installer disabled Protected Mode in Flash Player, because many people will never turn it back on when it is safe to do so.

David Wood

08/08/2012 10:08 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

According to Nuance level III technical support, Adobe Flash is built into the DNS 12 installation but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the auto updater is disabled. They can also have the installer search for a preinstalled version of Adobe and in the event that the installer finds a newer version, it doesn’t overwrite the older version. This is the default setting for most installation applications.

PS: The last few versions of NaturallySpeaking have been released on a 2 year cycle that you could almost set your sundial by

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/08/2012 11:57 PM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt According to Nuance level III technical support, Adobe Flash is built into the DNS 12 installation but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the auto updater is disabled. They can also have the installer search for a preinstalled version of Adobe and in the event that the installer finds a newer version, it doesn’t overwrite the older version. This is the default setting for most installation applications. PS: The last few versions of NaturallySpeaking have been released on a 2 year cycle that you could almost set your sundial by

Thanks for checking that out, Lunis. It's reassuring to hear that all that the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 installer does is to move Flash Player to a baseline version if it is not already at that version. In other words, it DTRT (does the right thing).

Considering the number of releases of Flash Player and that the default on all recent Flash Player installations is auto-update, this will be benign - except for corporates that have idiotic "only this version" policies that don't reflect the real security risks of not updating, who will go apopleptic. A small delay for a test deployment followed by widespread automatic roll-out of standard plug-ins makes sense. Wedding people to obsolete security critical software like the pile of garbage that is IE6 for years is crazy.

In practice, it will become increasingly irrelevant. By the time Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 is widely available (rather than the limited download-only release of Premium we have at present), I suspect security critical Flash Player releases will mean people should already be on a higher version of Flash Player than that bundled with the Dragon NaturallySpeaking installer.

David Wood

08/03/2012 03:51 AM

IanW

Right, thanks David. I'll do as you suggest.

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/03/2012 06:52 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Ian can you give us a little bit of history of the problem.

Is it a new installation that has had the problem from the beginning?

Has it recently started happening for no apparent reason and yet it used to work okay?

You can spend a long time trying to pinpoint such problems, you can eradicate a lot of possibilities by trying the following in the order shown:

1. Try a new user profile

2. Try a repair of Dragon

3. Completely remove Dragon using the DNS remover tool and reinstall

Also the next time the system hangs can you note the time and then repost your Dragon log stating that exact time.

Lindsay

08/03/2012 07:04 AM

IanW

Hi Lindsay, thanks for your interest.

I worked quite happily with DNS for a couple of years before replacing my PC a two weeks ago, this time running on Windows 7 rather than Windows XP. I installed the same version of DNS, having checked for available upgrades.

The "hanging" problem started to occur three or four days ago. Initially I thought it was due to a corrupt user profile, so I installed DNS again and exported the old profile from my old computer, but to no avail. Since then, I have been installing and deinstalling various applications in the hope that the “hook” will go away.

Having read David’s advice, I downloaded the most recent versions of Adobe Flash and the problem started again directly - so it really does seem to be related to Flash in my case. I then disabled Adobe’s Protected Mode manually and things have been OK so far, although it has really only been 20 minutes or so.

Anything else you need to know that might help?

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/03/2012 07:46 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Anything else you need to know that might help?

Just note the time if it does happen again and repost your Dragon log.

Although you have tried a "good " profile from your previous installation it's always worth trying a newly created profile on your current system if you haven't already, skip the training and it only takes a few minutes to set up just for testing purposes.

Lindsay

08/03/2012 07:52 AM

IanW

Although you have tried a "good " profile from your previous installation it's always worth trying a newly created profile on your current system if you haven't already, skip the training and it only takes a few minutes to set up just for testing purposes.

Yes, but wouldn't that mean three years of training down the drain? My profile vocabulary is pretty individualised at this stage.

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/03/2012 08:32 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Yes, but wouldn't that mean three years of training down the drain? My profile vocabulary is pretty individualised at this stage.

Definitely not, the accuracy of a brand-new profile these days is such that you can get it pretty much up to speed within a couple of days of training or even less. In fact many of the most experienced users find that the most accurate performance of a user profile is quite often within hours or immediately after creation. Some of the most experienced users do not carry out any training any more such is the accuracy "out-of-the-box".

I actually create new profiles deliberately every couple of months and I always find them to be most accurate within the first week of creation.  Just remember to export your custom added words and phrases and also your commands.  Initially anyway just use the newly created profile for diagnosis purposes.  (You will always have your original profile to switch back to if necessary).

Since you have kept your profile for such a long time it may be the case that this profile was originally created in version 10, in that case I would definitely recommend creating a new profile in 11.5, you will be pleasantly surprised by the accuracy immediately after creation.  There will always be a few words you will need to train.

Lindsay

The only caveat would be that if you have added lots of individualised words or phrases with special properties then you will not be able to export these with DNS Premium.  Things have changed somewhat with DNS 12.  With DNS 11 you are restricted to exporting written forms and spoken forms but no special properties.

08/03/2012 04:01 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: monkey8

The only caveat would be that if you have added lots of individualised words or phrases with special properties then you will not be able to export these with DNS Premium.  Things have changed somewhat with DNS 12.  With DNS 11 you are restricted to exporting written forms and spoken forms but no special properties.

Unfortunately, the ability to export and import custom word lists in XML format, which preserves your property settings, is only available in the Professional versions of DNS 12. It is not available in DNS 12 Premium and below. Take a look at the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 feature matrix under "Advanced Personal Administration."

DNS 12 feature matrix

Chuck

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -- Robert X. Cringely

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

08/03/2012 05:53 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Unfortunately, the ability to export and import custom word lists in XML format, which preserves your property settings, is only available in the Professional versions of DNS 12. It is not available in DNS 12 Premium

Which is a real shame because it is one of the more useful features added to Professional version 12.  Gives a bit more control than having to export the entire vocabulary with Professional in order to retain word properties.

Lindsay

08/04/2012 11:45 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Being able to export a word list in XML format, from DNS Premium, would be useful but Nuance has to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, they would not be able to entice customers into purchasing DN$ Pro.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/03/2012 11:13 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Ian,

According to the log file, there were two incidents where a COM error has been raised, the second one actually causing an avalanche of further errors resulting in a major final crash, despite Dragon's heroic attempts to resist. In both instances, the COM error was raised after dictating the command "press F10", so here is the scenario of the second instance causing the crash:

16:18:26 (E:\work\1150rel_mob\scripting\scriptingmisccmds.cpp,180) : getInterfaces()->pOutput()->PlayString() returned unexpected value HOOKERR_NONOTIFYWINDOW (0x8004200d) in "NatSpeak.exe" process.
16:18:26
16:18:26 In ComCallFailed(), LastErrorGet produced no additional information.
16:18:26 Exception thrown (E:\work\1150rel_mob\shared\comcalls.cpp, 156).
16:18:26 Error: The following exception triggered by cmd 'press F ten', script 'Scripting.SendSystemKeys "{F10}"'

While there is reference made to the "HOOKERR_NONOTIFYWINDOW" message, I don't think it is in any way related to the issue that has been reported many times recently, dealing with the Adobe flash player upgrade problem.

So if this is a common scenario for you, in terms of dictating that particular function key causing any kind of problems, you may want to look closer at it and maybe find ways to resolve it.

As far as your hardware specifications, indeed you are definitely on the low side with the AMD processor that you have providing only 1 MB of second-level cache, so this would mean that the all overall performance of the system may not be adequate when used in any kind of professional environment and with the number of different applications being involved, although I have no idea of the amount of system resources your specific translator program would actually require.

As far as your user profile, obviously it has not been upgraded because otherwise it would show up accordingly in the log file by being tagged as such, normally indicated by "(v10)" attached to it, and fortunately Dragon must've been wise enough to choose the BestMatch III model when the profile was created, thus accounting for the given resources. But I could be wrong also about that, meaning it may have been upgraded still.

But as I tried to explain, I don't think that the issues you are experiencing are specific to the user profile although it is always a good idea, as pointed out by Lindsay, to create a new profile from scratch just for testing purposes and to compare it against the one currently being used.

Rüdiger

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

08/03/2012 11:26 AM

IanW

Thanks Rüdiger. F10 is the command to close and save a segment and open the next one - I say it after every sentence I translate. And it is always that command that precedes the problem. I presume allocating another name to the same command isn't going to help, is it?

I created a new user profile when I started working with Dragon 10 and it is generally very accurate and chock-full of German names and place names as well, so I'm inclined to leave it as it is (at least till I have time to experiment with it). Apart from the problem in question, DNS works quickly and well within my translation environment (memoQ).

I'm hoping that the problem has been solved by disabling the Protected Mode in Flash player. So weit so gut ...

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/03/2012 11:35 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Ian,

man soll den Tag nicht vor dem Abend loben ...

You can always export your custom vocabulary from the current profile, even in Premium, and import into a new profile, however, if you taught Dragon to "understand" the German words by training their pronunciations, they will be lost. A much more efficient way of resolving this would be to assign particular spoken forms for each, in a sort of Lautmalerei - I guess you get the meaning, but as an example, if you enter my first name "Rüdiger" as written form, you'd better enter "Rudiger" as spoken form if this is how you actually speak it, and there'll be no more training it.

Another advantage of this will be that if you export your custom words, any spoken forms associated with written forms will be exported and transported as well, so there will be no more additional training required, once it has been done this way.

On the other hand, as I assumed from reading your log file, it is actually using the F10 key which is the culprit, try something different instead, would be my advice.

As far as anything else, the Adobe upgrade is not involved.

Rüdiger

DragonCapture Homepage

08/03/2012 12:06 PM

IanW

On the other hand, as I assumed from reading your log file, it is actually using the F10 key which is the culprit, try something different instead, would be my advice. As far as anything else, the Adobe upgrade is not involved. Rüdiger

Thanks, Rüdiger.

I assigned a specific command to F10 - it's a keyboard shortcut that is easier to say than CTRL-NUM-PLUS. Would it help if I assigned another key or key combination to it instead? Or if I said "Function 10" (also works). Do you think it's the command or the function that is the problem here?

I remember you telling me that NoBrainer won't work on a computer with German settings like mine. Do you know of any similar programs that I could use to assign commands like these to?

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

08/03/2012 12:58 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Ian,

you might want to take a look at FreeSR from Max Roth, as an alternative:

http://freesr.org/  

There is a bit of a learning curve, and this is also true for any other solution, but the support for FreeSR is currently being improved considerably.

However, as far as speaking a command to perform a simple keyboard action, using any scripting language to accomplish this is a little overkill in my opinion. You might want to test different things instead, such as what happens if you press the key physically, for instance, and maybe there is a conflict with the key being assigned otherwise also, but that's just guess. Not knowing how that particular program actually works, maybe it could be voice activated also in a more straightforward fashion, such as "speaking" an existing control.

Just play around with it.

Ohne Fleiß kein Preis!

Rüdiger

I should also add that FreeSR seems to run smoothly, alongside with Dragon, and having been programmed flawlessly not needing to hook into it, no surprise in here, and even if it dies it won't take Dragon with it, like other add-ons.

DragonCapture Homepage

08/09/2012 12:48 PM

IanW

Quick update: All has been working fine since I disabled Protected Mode, so a big thanks to David for that. I'll probably upgrade to DNS 12 once I beef up the RAM on my computer.

Thanks to everyone else as well.

• PC with 16 GB of RAM

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Dragon hanging repeatedly

Statistics
31824 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 436 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 437 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.