KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Digital recorder with DS2 and hold switch
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/06/2021 01:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Digital recorder with DS2 and hold switch   - JakeDennis - 07/06/2021 01:39 PM  
 Digital recorder with DS2 and hold switch   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/06/2021 03:58 PM  
 Digital recorder with DS2 and hold switch   - kkkwj - 07/07/2021 12:08 AM  
Keyword
 07/06/2021 01:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JakeDennis

Hi,

I'm dictating novels using an Audiotechnica Pro8hex into a cheap Sony ICD-PX370 mono recorder set to 192 kbps mp3. I've found that the midgain setting is best for the headset and my voice volume. I only do transcription. All my recording/dictating is done in light noise environments (washing dishes, sweeping, walking over landscaping rocks, walking on a treadmill).

I'm getting about 97% accuracy with an untrained profile, and am debating the utility of upgrading to a DS2 recorder to boost my baseline accuracy. The misrecognitions that really bug me are dropping words if I talk quickly and frequently mistaking "in" for "and."

The main thing holding me back from upgrading is that the Olympus DS-9000/9500 does not appear to have a hold switch to prevent misoperation. Fancy losseless recording formats are nice and all, but I'm very concerned about the slide switch being jostled in my pocket and losing part of a dictation session. I dictate with exclusively with a headset and keep the recorder in my pocket the whole time.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does the DS-9000/9500 have a software hold option that disables the slide switch so it will not stop recording by accident (misoperation)?

2. Are there other recorders that use the DS2 format that do have a reliable hold function and accept a 3.5 mm TS/TRS microphone such as Pro8hex?

3. Barring using a DS2 recorder, would bumping up the mp3 sampling rate to 320 kbps by using a Tascam field recorder significantly improve accuracy?

4. Or should  I just use my current mp3 192 kbps recorder and stop being a whiny baby?

Sincerely,

Jake

Statistics
32286 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 392 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 392 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.