KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: FIXED: 5-6 second delays saying simple commands like "Press Delete" in Thunderbird and other commands
Topic Summary: DISABLED "Enable launching from the desktop"
Created On: 07/27/2021 02:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 07/27/2021 02:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

I wasted a good part of the last few days being plagued by a really bad slowdown  in many places.  The particular test case that I used was saying "Press Delete"  repeatedly in Thunderbird.  This should take less than a second,  but it was taking 5-6 seconds.

I have documented my experience in 

https://github.com/AndyGlew/manx-UI--Speech/wiki/Performance-Issues-with-Dragon-Speech-Recognition#56_second_stalls_saying_press_delete

Briefly: two components:

1.  "Enable launching from the desktop" was on

2.  the desktop contained files with "Nms_Dgn_cld_nt_pronce.txt"

It seems that Dragon  decided that such files  match almost any utterance, slowing everything down.   Or something similar.

Disabling "Enable launching from the desktop"  worked around the problem. 

As did making the filenames more pronounceable, although obviously the latter is  fragile,  and will break again the next time you have unfortunate files.

---

Posting just in the hope of saving somebody some time someday.  Possibly myself,  since I am fairly certain I have encountered this problem before, and had just forgotten about it, and had not automated mitigation.

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
32168 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 345 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 346 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.