KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?
Topic Summary: Barf containment
Created On: 03/11/2021 07:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Ag - 03/11/2021 07:53 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Mav - 03/12/2021 01:51 AM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Edgar - 03/12/2021 11:20 AM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Ag - 04/02/2021 06:10 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Edgar - 04/03/2021 12:20 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Mav - 04/06/2021 02:28 AM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - PG LTU - 03/12/2021 12:29 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Mav - 03/16/2021 03:15 AM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Ag - 03/17/2021 04:36 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Mav - 03/18/2021 05:20 AM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - dtea - 03/18/2021 08:02 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Ag - 04/02/2021 06:04 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Edgar - 04/03/2021 12:16 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - jolly - 08/10/2021 04:43 PM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Edgar - 08/11/2021 10:34 AM  
 Dragon in virtual machine to prevent barf when stall ends?   - Steve Morris - 08/12/2021 07:19 PM  
Keyword
 03/11/2021 07:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

---+ Short

if I run Dragon inside a guest virtual machine, and Dragon stalls in the well-known way such that it barfs up a lot of queued up output when the stall clears, is the barf constrained to the virtual machine? I.e. can I switch outside of the Dragon guest and do non-Dragon work, without fear of barf?

---+ Detail

I used to have lots ofDragon related  stall, and suffered greatly either from Dragon barfing up queued data when the stall cleared, or by having to find something to do on another PC or non-computer when Dragon installed.

I am having far fewer stalls nowadays :-) --- something I will post about when my setup is clean enough that the blame the user critics on this forum will have less to object to. ;-}

But I used to have lots of stalls. And I just suffered a minor stall of a few minutes after coming back from a meeting.  in this case Dragon's microphone was off, I think I took it off manually, although my timeout script is working pretty well and might have done it for me. I turned the microphone back on,  Dragon bar button changing from red to green, but it took a few minutes before speech started going through the system. And when it did, as usual, quite a bit of that speech was barfed up into whatever window was currently active. Nothing too bad, because I have learned to be very careful when Dragon is stalled. In this case I was just clicking around trying to find out of my microphone was dead. But I still had a chunk of barf.

(one of the bad things about Dragon barf after stalls is that I am often tempted to do nothing for a few minutes, rather than immediately investigating whether my microphone has somehow been disconnected, e.g. the Nvidia noise filtering software I use itself hung.)

In an earlier post I asked if there was any way to flush the Dragon queues - to get rid of queued up stuff, rather than waiting for it to get uninstalled and barfed up.  At least one other user also wished for the same thing.

But it sure would be nice to be able to get some work done using typing, while waiting for Dragon to unstall.  of course, if I switched to another PC I could get work done on that while waiting for Dragon to install. I've done that in the past, but it's a hassle, my setup with four monitors does not lend itself to KVM switches, and experience has been that I often switch away from the stalled machine and don't go back to it for a very long time.

This might be a [another] good reason to run Dragon in a virtual machine.

Have a virtual machine outside the doesn't receive any Dragon input. That should be safe. So if Dragon stalls, I can guarantee that work outside will not get messed up.

I think you can do this with a host operating system running two different guests, one with Dragon, and one without. The keyboard and mouse would undoubtedly be shared between the guests, but I could probably lock the microphone to the Dragon guests, and I would hope that Dragon's SendKeys only writes the guests that it is within. Otherwise it would be a virtualization hole.  or, I suppose, with Dragon inside a guest and the non-Dragon work being done in the host. In either case, we certainly do not want Dragon or apps in the Dragon virtual machine to steal focus. IMHO dealing focus should be a crime!

I suppose if the sound-in-out device could be switched between guests, I would even be able to continue speaking. I actually do that to some extent, using a second PC and an old Dragon license in a different room. same hassles as with the KVM.

the nice thing about using Dragon restricted to a guest like this is that the two guests or the Dragon guest and the host can share filesystems. That's how I used to run parallels/Windows on my Mac. It's the "I use virtual machines not for security but to enable different operating systems and software configurations accessing the same data" model of virtualization.

---

my usual questions: is anybody doing anything like this? I know that some of you (Edgar?) are using Dragon inside virtual machines, and I have been meaning to do so to reduce the uninstall/reinstall work when migrating license software to a new physical PC. This barf containment just gives me another reason to do so. Unfortunately, parallels is the only virtual machine system I have found that does a really good job of sharing the entire desktop.

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
32168 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 407 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 407 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.