KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem
Topic Summary: Problem been escalated to level III
Created On: 12/24/2020 10:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 12/24/2020 10:14 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - kkkwj - 12/25/2020 11:52 AM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/25/2020 05:51 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 12/25/2020 06:31 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/26/2020 12:19 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 12/26/2020 06:49 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Scribe - 12/25/2020 06:01 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/26/2020 11:59 AM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - ax - 12/26/2020 09:11 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 01/03/2021 11:15 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/04/2021 12:17 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - kkkwj - 12/26/2020 09:45 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - DigitalCyclist - 01/04/2021 01:05 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 01/04/2021 05:34 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/05/2021 12:06 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - bmac - 01/05/2021 10:58 AM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/05/2021 12:26 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 01/05/2021 07:44 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - bmac - 01/07/2021 01:29 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 01/05/2021 07:50 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Scribe - 01/05/2021 07:53 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - ax - 01/05/2021 08:02 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 01/05/2021 09:49 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Stephan Kuepper - 01/06/2021 03:33 AM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - Stuartzz - 01/08/2021 04:28 PM  
 Microsoft level 1 & 2 technicians unable to fix DPI related problem   - harpalus - 01/20/2021 11:49 PM  
Keyword
 12/24/2020 10:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
harpalus
Advanced Member

Microsoft technicians level 1 and level 2 have been unable to get Microsoft Word to work properly on my computer. Because the problem may be related to DPI 15.61 I'm posting information here. I'm writing this in WordPad. Basically put I'm starting to think that the DPI 15.61 add-in for Microsoft Outlook is totally incompatible with my Dell XPS computer.

1. Starting with approximately DPI 15.3 I began to have problems with freezes. If outlook was open and I was working in another application, the freezes would eventually occur, and the task manager which show that Outlook was using about 19 or 20% of my CPU. (I described such a freeze in the forum in September at https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=34838&highlight_key=y&keyword1=15%2E3). If I closed Outlook, the task manager would still show that Outlook was using 19 or 20% or more of my CPU. I would have to go into the task manager and stop Outlook there.

2. DPI 15.61 did not fix the above problem for me. Outlook quite frequently would complain that the Dragon add-on was slowing it down by about 0.67 seconds as regards starting or closing. Outlook would suggest that the add-on should be disabled. I finally accepted that suggestion and worked for about a month with Outlook open and found that of course I could not do anything by voice with Outlook but that I could work and work and work with other applications without freezes while outlook was open.

3. Yesterday I uninstalled DPI 15.61 through the add remove feature of Windows, use the Nuance DragonRemovert to scrub any remaining remnants and reinstalled 15.61. I initially attempted to download 15.61 from the nuance site but was met with error after error from the nuance site. Fortunately I had a copy of the software on my drive, and I installed from that. DPI 15.61 appeared to be working fine.

4. I had Outlook open and was dictating a long overdue Christmas letter in Microsoft Word yesterday when something made me feel that Outlook had possibly received a message. I don't remember what made me feel that. At the same time a blue circle began revolving within Microsoft Word. I waited and waited but the blue circle kept revolving. It was impossible to do anything with Microsoft Word. I closed it and restarted and tried to save a new file that had a single letter and got the same blue circle.

5. Microsoft level I technician spent approximately two hours yesterday working on my computer remotely. She removed office, use the office removal tool to scrub it out, went into the registry and deleted things, look for remnants elsewhere and finally concluded she had removed everything. Reinstallation went fine but Microsoft Word stubbornly put up the blue circling circle when ever she tried to do anything with the program, save the file, look at options, etc. she then several times manually removed office and reinstalled without any success as regards fixing the problem.

6. Level 2 technician took control of my computer yesterday well after midnight. After more than an hour of trying to fix things he said he would resume work today. He did so and after repeatedly reinstalling office from the Internet, used the image of a DVD or CD that he had downloaded and that had all of the requisite files and installed from that. Other components of office work but Microsoft Word still does not. He tried various things such as disabling my normal graphics driver to check for software conflicts but could not find any. He downloaded Windows media creation tool, repaired Windows, gathered various log files and finally said that he did not know what was going on and was escalating to level 3 technicians who will contact me next week.

7. After I got back control of my computer, I had Outlook open and was manually working with another program. Suddenly I noticed that the task manager which was open in another monitor showed that Outlook was consuming about 20% of my CPU. Outlook had not apparently properly exited even though the window closed normally, and it was chewing up CPU.

8. During the time when the Outlook add-in was disabled, I did not have instances of Outlook chewing up CPU even when outlook was open while I worked in other programs with DPI 15.61. I'm getting very suspicious about the add-in for Outlook. However I notice now that Outlook no longer whines about the add-in slowing it down, but it's only been a short time since I regain control of the computer.

9. I will be posting some questions in separate threads because this one is so long. I will be asking people if they have successfully used a computer like mine, had problems with Outlook, etc.

10. At some time in the past before freezes became a major problem for people using DPI, I once or twice had to reinstall Windows because Microsoft Word stopped working properly and lower level technicians at Microsoft could not fix the problem. At that time there did not appear to be any relationship with the add-in for Outlook. The problems then were that for some reason Microsoft Word hung up while saving the file. Once that occurred, the program could no longer exit properly. In one instance a technician was able to manually remove office and reinstall it and get the program working. In other instances reinstalling Windows was necessary.

11. Neither of the Microsoft technicians who worked with my computer yesterday and today seem to think that there is a hardware problem but rather that there is some sort of a software issue. 

12. Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated. I have been battling this problem for months. Manually working with Outlook has given me trigger fingers in both hands and other problems. I'm getting so desperate for a solution that I'm even starting to think about purchasing a different computer even though my current unit was purchased in July of last year and works perfectly with everything but Microsoft word and the DPI add-in for Outlook.

Dell XPS computer purchase July 2019

CPU:       Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz- turbo mode up to 3.7 GHz

Cores / Threads: 8 / 8

Cache:          2048 KB L2 / 12288 KB L3

Physical Memory: 32573 GB Total / 25899 GB Available / 20 % Used

Operating System:     Microsoft Windows 10 Home

OS Platform:    Win32NT

OS Version:     6.2.9200.0

OS Language:    en-US

Nvidia GeForce RTX display adapter

Intel UHD graphics adapter (not used of course)

SpeechWare TwistMike

USB soundcard SpeechWare SpeechMatic MultiAdapter

DPI 15.60.200.016

-------------------------

GaryN

Statistics
31981 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 458 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 459 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.