Created On: 10/05/2021 09:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 10/05/2021 09:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bobe

Hello All,

I've been using OpenOffice and DPI for years with only minor inconveiences.

About 3-4 months ago cut and paste in OO started to break. Generally it would be fine for some minutes and then OO would not paste new material, but would re-insert the prior copied text.

The only fix [and I tried a bunch] is to close and restart OO: it works again... for a while.

Searching shows clipboard problems are a known issue with OO: but I'd not hac any for the 10+ years I've used OO. [I suspect that it has to do with the chages microsoft/win10 has made to the clipboard and making it shareable]

The reason I'm raising the issue here is that when I dictate a DPI command, it gets copied to the clipboard before being inserted. And not being able to rely on my dragon commands is  a major headache.

Anyone experienced this ? and even better solved it ?

My one hope is that I notice that the "say' command in Knowbrainer does not go through the clipboard. Is there a way to change my scripts so that they will 'say' the required text ?

Thanks for any help 

Bob

PS

I even went so far as to buy a new PC (it was time anyway) but I still have the same problem

I  went out an bought a copy of Word 2019 thinking I'd just bite the bullet and switch word processors, but the jumping screen drove me knuts

Maybe I should go back to win7 ?

Win 10 updated

OpenOffice 4.1.6 and 4.1.10

DPI 15.00.000.0076

10/06/2021 01:34 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

The clipboard is a single ressource, so only a single application can access it at a time.

If "old" text is being pasted, then it's not a problem of paste itself but the copy operation is unable to access the clipboard to put the new text there because of a different application holding on to the clipboard longer than neccessary.

Usually there's no feedback when a copy operation fails, so you only can notice once the previous clipboard contents are being inserted.

Without the application performing the copy explicitely reporting the error while trying to open/lock the clipboard in order to put its content there, you're out of luck.

Perhaps you can find a utility online to show which (if any) application currently has locked the clipboard. If you find this application, you've identified the culprid.

hth,

mav

10/06/2021 02:22 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Update:

Since I had the code for checking clipboard locks lying around I patched together a small tool to show this information - you'll find it attached to this message.

Unpack the ZIP file and run the application from the command line (if you just double click in explorer, the window will close again immediately so you cannot see the results).

It will show you if the clipboard is locked and which process/window is currently locking it.

In addition, the return code is 0 if the clipboard is not locked and the locking process' process id otherwise, so one could even use this tool in a script.

hth,

mav

10/06/2021 11:04 AM

Author Icon
bobe

Thank you May.

I will give it a try when I get to the office.

10/06/2021 08:39 PM

Author Icon
bobe

Hi May,
The clipboard does not appear to be locked, at least when the error occurs, since if I run your program immediately after, it is not locked.

I had not noticed this before, but rather oddly/interestingly, when I dictate a Dragon command, the text is apparently copied to the clipboard, but then it is immediately replaced by the "older" material, which is then what is pasted into the open office file. [I can see this in the clipboard utility I sometimes use: Clipmate. The error occurs whether the utility is running or not.]

I guess this is strictly an openoffice problem, as if I restart openoffice, the problem goes away.

And while I am somewhat straying off topic, I do wonder if there is some way to use the SendKeys function of the KnowBrainer scripting to accomplish what I want to do, as it does not use the clipboard. However, there appears to be a significant limitation as to how many characters can be sent via SendKeys. Most of my commands produce less than 50-100 words but SendKeys seems to balk at 15-20 words.
Statistics
32358 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 374 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 375 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.