KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon install CD, into the drive, blinks, will not go beyond that?
Topic Summary: How to overcome?
Created On: 07/24/2021 10:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 07/24/2021 10:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jackdashack

I purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking Home a little over a year ago. Installed it on an older PC. That PC crashed, not because of the Dragon install, other issues. Remarkably we got it restored. I never re-installed Dragon. Fast Forward I have a refurbished PC (are the details showing? I filled all that in) It's a faster newer PC. 

I've had this newer refurb one about 4 months or so. I deciided to reinstall Dragon on this one. Again, not the older original one. I put the install CD in and it blinks, stops and that's it. Never a pop up asking what to do with it? In Explorer I click on the DVD Drive to see the files on the CD and it says INSERT A CD ???? I thought the drive was bad. Then I tried another install CD and it works fine. It's the Dragon CD that won't.

Have they put some sort of hack imprint on there that stops a 2nd install? If so, that's nice. I have 2 pcs, no other users in the house but me. And neither can use the software.

Any help, of course, very appreciated.  Jack ":-\\

-------------------------
I'm speechless. Nothing to say! ;)

07/24/2021 01:38 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

You may have purchased the Home Edition 12 a little over a year ago but you purchased a version of Dragon that is 3 versions out of date and typically only available from illegal vendors such as what you will find on eBay and Amazon. Nuance legal certified resellers are only permitted to sell Dragon 15 on their own websites or over the phone. You can also purchase directly from Nuance but their support is outsourced to Myanmar and nearly useless. Nuance certified resellers include real support and additional perks such as manuals and pictorial details on how to avoid 3 dozen Dragon sandtraps.

Dragon Home Edition 12 was released in October of 2012 and is not Windows 10 compatible; even though it may be installable. To further rub salt into the wound, your dated Ver. 12 DVD (not CD) is so old that we suspect it is deteriorating and not recoverable. DVDs have a limited life expectancy. Very few software manufacturers use DVDs anymore. Nuance isn't going to help you because they only support Dragon 15 digital downloads. Nuance dropped DVD production about 4 years ago. Your DVD disc isn't even the latest version of the Home Edition. You have Home Edition 12.0. The latest release was 12.53. Nuance never updates DVDs. They simply offer download patches. However, this option is only available to Dragon Premium (now extinct) on up; not the Home Edition. In our opinion, the Dragon Home Edition is basically nothing more than a stripped down Dragon sampler that never should've been released because of its lack of critical features. I3 computers are also slightly underpowered for Ver. 12 but DPI 15.61 (includes complimentary installation/training manual) uses less resources and will run better on an i3. At $500, Dragon isn't cheap but if it's going to play a major role in your workflow, it is the only game in town. You're only free option is now Windows Speech Recognition which is built into your computer. Unfortunately, WSR is worse than Dragon Ver. 7 and hasn't been improved since 2006.

Ver. 12 includes 10 activations and Nuance doesn't limit your installations.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/24/2021 02:05 PM

Author Icon
jackdashack

Sir, I respect your knowledge, I thank you for an answer, and wish I had half your knowledge with me. Your reply I expect will be the only one I get.

But my knowledge is based on this, just experience. I purchased the program a little over a year ago, installed it on a Windows 10 machine. Used it. The CD was new then, only been used then, not sure how it would deteriorate. My older pc ran it just fine with a speed of AMD A6-540DK 32nm Technology. I suspect you understand that more than me. But it ran it just fine. Is it a wonder I thought a faster newer PC would handle it?

One thing I have learned since the late 80's starting with Radio Shack is how to duplicate things on several devices. You're answer prompted me to insert the install disk of Dragon Home 12 into the old PC, and it want's to run and install.

Now, back to the newer Windows 10, I am wondering why it won't open on it and ask what to do with the files?

I appreciate your time and answer. My original question is in play. Why won't the new one open it. Maybe if I log in as Administrator proper it will work? Who knows. Windows be bipolar sometimes.

Jack ":-\\

07/24/2021 03:27 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: jackdashack

1. I purchased the program a little over a year ago, installed it on a Windows 10 machine. Used it. The CD was new then, only been used then, not sure how it would deteriorate.

2. My older pc ran it just fine with a speed of AMD A6-540DK 32nm Technology. I suspect you understand that more than me. But it ran it just fine.

3. Is it a wonder I thought a faster newer PC would handle it?

4. You're answer prompted me to insert the install disk of Dragon Home 12 into the old PC, and it want's to run and install. Now, back to the newer Windows 10

5. I am wondering why it won't open on it and ask what to do with the files? I appreciate your time and answer. My original question is in play. Why won't the new one open it.

6. Maybe if I log in as Administrator proper it will work? Who knows. Windows be bipolar sometimes. Jack ":-\\

1. You may have purchased your DVD (not CD) a little over a year ago but the disk was manufactured a decade ago and it doesn't matter how many times it has been used. Home Edition 12.0 is still extremely out of date and probably can not be patched to Ver. 12.53. When you purchased Home Edition 12, Home Edition 15 had been out for 4 years. For whatever reasons, you decided not to purchase Ver. 15, 14 or even 13. When it comes to Dragon, purchasing out of date software is a false economy. 1080i video probably looked great until you saw 4K. Dragon 12 is probably closer to 480p

2. Home Edition 12 probably ran fine because you were primarily dictating. That's nearly all that the Home Edition will permit anyway. Even then we suspect your 1st dictated phrase takes several seconds to hit the page. Your dictation should hit the page in less than 2 seconds.

3. The speed of your PC has nothing to do with the DVD reader. Most computers that include a DVD reader/writer include the most inexpensive drive that can be sourced by the manufacturer. The Dragon DVD has a lot of information and your new drive may simply not be able to handle the information. Dragon 12 had a problem with out running the installation program when it was read from the disk which produced a unreadable cab error.

4. This is excellent news because your DVD is in good shape and our original assessment was incorrect. If you have a 4 Gb or larger flash drive, copy the contents of the Dragon DVD to your flash drive. If your flash drive is USB 3 and you have a USB 3 port on your new computer, you can install directly from the flash drive. If either one is USB 2 then you will need to copy the contents into a folder on your new computer. You can install Dragon by double-clicking setup.exe. If you see a NaturallySpeaking.MSI, double-clicking it would be preferable but we are not certain this existed in Ver. 12.

5. See #3

6. DON'T install Dragon as the administrator because you won't be able to use it unless you log onto your computer as the administrator. Dragon, like pretty much all programs, is designed to be installed and used in your computer's default settings.

PS: We misspoke when we said Ver. 12 is not Windows 10 compatible. We should have said that it is not fully Windows 10 compatible and some end-users are not able to use Ver. 12. Note that Windows 11 is just around the corner but we are not expecting any Dragon countries signed on August 7 houses problems.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/24/2021 04:47 PM

Author Icon
jackdashack

Is that book in the library of Congress! Kidding. I've re-read it. I took your thought on copying the files to a USB drive to install on the newer PC. I'll report back. I've done this in the past but had let slip that option. Thanks for reminding me. Oh, one using it slow to react. It reacted fine for me on the older PC. Seemed to do the work fast even on Facebook, etc. I have used Google Docs Voice Typing extensively and know it well. Trained this PC, etc. I'll get back. 

07/24/2021 05:12 PM

Author Icon
jackdashack

It appears to be installed. I right clicked on the msi file first. It did some work and when done I could find it nowhere in Explorer or in Windows Start. So I did it using the setup.exe file. It appears to have gone all the way through. This install it asked for SN. The msi business did not.

I appreciate you bringing me to this resolution. I am 70+ and a Veteran on Disability Pension. A little less than the max SSI. I need to watch monies in and out. Not having to re-buy this or forget about it altogether is primo. Thanks again. I'm assuming it's all good. It's all there. I'll plug in the mic and play a bit with it. If it did me fine on the older PC I can't see why it won't be even faster here.

Many thanks! Jack ":-Dx (kudos or Solved anywhere? I'll check)

07/24/2021 05:48 PM

Author Icon
jackdashack

It appears to be working. I had forgotten that there was a Dragon box and then had to transfer to the document now and then. No big. I appreciate the help.

Jack ":-Dx

Statistics
32134 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 370 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 372 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.