KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: College provides Dragon 12?
Topic Summary: Isn't Dragon version 12 completely obsolete?
Created On: 07/09/2021 07:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 07/09/2021 07:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

College starts in September, and my daughter's college recommends a  reasonable  Lenovo laptop...

but they also say that they can provide/sell to students Dragon Premium v12

VERSION TWELVE !!! ???

isn't that completely obsolete, given that we are now at version 15.x ?

I wonder if they've just not updated their literature for quite a few years...  or is there some difference in version  numbering between educational products and what I buy off-the-shelf (actually, over the Internet  from Nuance or Lunis).

while I am checking on that, can anybody imagine any reason why I would not give my daughter one of my Dragon licenses? 

(No, I'm not  talking about sharing a license with her, I have two full Dragon licenses, DPI and DPG,  and I don't need both. (Heck,  perhaps I can add a user to my DPG  license -  but I don't need to do that unless my wife also wants to start using Dragon.))

plus there is the usual Premium vs Professional issue.   all things being equal, I would rather that she use the professional version  that can be extended. She might not write her own speech commands, but I can if she has a problem.  and I suspect that she will write her own speech commands...

is there any reason  that my daughter using DP[IG] Professional 15.x  would cause problems if  other students and faculty and/or the IT department of her college were using DPx 12? 

perhaps they are using something like DPG, and sharing course specific vocabularies?    and if I give her Dragon 15.x,  she might not be able to use the vocabulary that other students are using?

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

07/09/2021 08:20 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Our best guess is that the college has simply not updated their materials. Most websites struggle at keeping things up-to-date; including us. Dragon Premium 12 is not legally available but not a problem for you.

You are in a unique situation and we don't think anyone would have a problem with giving your daughter your DPI 15 license. We doubt other students are using Dragon Premium 12 but even if they are, this wouldn't be a problem for your daughter unless they're still using Windows XP  

There is no problem exporting and importing Premium 12 vocabularies into DPI 15 and vice versa but Premium 12 is limited to exporting a vocabulary in Plain Text. Exporting a DPI 15 vocabulary to Premium 12 would require exporting the same way. However, DPI has 2 better ways of exporting vocabulary. Again, it seems unlikely that students are using Premium 12 but let's hope they're not using the Home Edition 15 which doesn't even allow you to edit your vocabulary.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/10/2021 07:20 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

as always, thanks @Lunis

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » College provides Dragon 12?

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 417 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 418 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.