KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Listening to music on Bluetooth headphones while also dictating into Dragon
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/28/2021 06:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 01/28/2021 06:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I want to listen to music while dictating into Dragon.

I want to do this using my Bluetooth headphones. But I can't, or at least not very well.

After I connect my headphones, I then open Dragon and select the headphone's microphone as the input source to be used for dictation.

Dictation using the headphones microphone works fine. 

But then I launch my music application and play music. By default, no music will come out. 

In my Windows sound settings, when I am selecting my default output device, my headphones have the option to play from the "stereo" (high-quality) mode and "hands-free" (low-quality) mode. By default, I have "stereo" mode selected for my main Windows sound output device. 

Unfortunately, music does NOT play from my headphones when "stereo" mode is selected. 

However, when in my sound settings, if I change my sound output device to "hands-free" mode, then the audio does play. But it sounds terrible.

I think the "stereo" channel is being used by Dragon. I find that when I open DragonPad and say something, and then instruct the app to "play that back", Dragon will play my voice recording back to me and the music from my media player will also play in the background alongside my voice.

I also find that when I turn the Dragon microphone off (not just going to sleep, but all the way off so that the red microphone icon appears), then my music will play through the headphones.

So it seems to me like Dragon is using the headphones stereo channel, but is preventing any audio from coming out of it.

I don't know why Dragon needs to make use of the output channel of my headphones; I wish that it would just "listen" to the input and let me play my music through the output using the good "stereo" channel. 

Is there some way to make that happen?

Currently, if I want to listen to music wirelessly while dictating, I need to wear two pairs of headphones: I wear one pair of headphones around my neck with the microphone pointed up to my mouth, and then I wear another pair of headphones over my ears. This works all right but it looks goofy and I want to look good while I am dictating.

What are other people doing to listen to music while dictating wirelessly? 

I know that most people are using wired microphones; I usually am using a wired microphone when I dictate at my desk, but if I'm on my laptop, dragging around my wired microphone is inconvenient.

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

01/29/2021 02:21 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

I think that's a limitation of bluetooth audio because of available bandwidth.

Using playback or recording only (half-duplex) works, but using both at the same time does not.

Since there are several different audio profiles for bluetooth, chances are that the profile your headset is using doesn't support full duplex, but there could be others out there supporting full duplex (but I must admit, I don't know much about the different models in the market today).

Perhaps this discussion is better suited to be held in the "Microphones and Sound Cards" subforum?

hth,

mav

01/29/2021 04:01 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

I have a couple of Bluetooth headsets and I don't have this problem with either of them. They both work full duplex (recording and playback at the same time) and the quality is very good on the playback. Dragon doesn't and shouldn't use the output channels of your windows sound system for dictation (speech to text) although it obviously does for text-to-speech so not sure what is happening with your setup. If you go to Control Panel | Sound and look at the payback section how many times are your headphones listed in the playback section?

01/29/2021 10:32 AM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

Thanks for your response. What headphones do you have? I got some expensive Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones that were recommended on Knowbrainer, which are fine for dictation, but the sound quality is poor. That's why I would like the headphones I'm currently talking about the work, OR I would like to get another headset that has both a good microphone and good playback.

In Control Panel >Sound >Playback, my headphones are listed twice. Once for the "hands-free" version, and again for the "stereo" version.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/irfjpwk3vjsqf5r/2021_01_29_07_28_24_Window.jpg?dl=0

01/29/2021 10:32 AM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

Yes, it would be better suited for that section. Whoops!

01/29/2021 01:00 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

If you check in "Properties" - "Advanced" tab there is something about allowing exclusive control, and giving priority. Try unchecking both and let us know if any better.

Hth (though I'm not sure it will, per the other responses re BT profiles and the BT drivers on your PC),

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

01/31/2021 11:23 AM

Author Icon
mareid

I have experienced something similar, but I'm not sure if my solution will work with your headphones. My headphones are Bose QC 35 ii, and I noticed that on those, there is a setting in the headphones themselves that turns on pass-through audio when the microphone is in use. With this setting on, the music sounds terrible while I'm dictating because the headphones are passing through the microphone noise. I was able to fix that by turning off the pass-through setting on the headphones themselves. Now music plays beautifully through the headphones and I can still use the microphone to dictate at the same time. On Bose, the feature is called "Self Voice" and can be turned off via the Bose app.
 01/31/2021 05:46 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

Thank you. I don't think that applies to my headphones, which do not have an app.

02/01/2021 12:14 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: wristofdoom Thanks for your response. What headphones do you have? 

Sennheiser Momentum and Jabra Blue Parrot B450-XT (but the Jabra is mono)

07/13/2021 05:16 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

I have a Sennheiser MB Pro 2, which comes with its own bluetooth dongle, and it works fine. It's just that I find listening to music while dictating extremely distracting.

Cheers, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

Statistics
32133 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 406 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 408 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.