KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon Capture versus SP 6 Standard or SP 6 Pro?
Topic Summary: Reviews of these products compared?
Created On: 12/17/2020 01:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Keyword
 12/17/2020 01:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
android94301
Power Member

Has anyone used all of these products? I've been using the trial version of Dragon capture and am trying to decide between buying it or buying SP 6 which has a similar capture module, plus other features. 

Would love to hear objective opinions and reviews, not from the proprietors of these products.

Thank you!

12/17/2020 05:34 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We have used SP Pro 6 and DragonCapture but we also market DragonCapture so you might consider taking our recommendation with a grain of salt. 

Both utilities include unique features. SP Pro seems to include everything but the kitchen sink but maintains its agility and offers many useful features. DragonCapture is primarily a one trick pony but it's a very cool trick. DragonCapture has a few tricks of its own but our favorite feature is its fully automatic capture and release feature. Dragon's Dictation Box can automatically intercept your text, which even SP Pro cannot do but DragonCapture cannot only capture your text, it can deposit your text into the target application when you take a breath (stop dictating). From the end-user point of view, you are simply directly dictating in any non-Dragon friendly or friendly environment. DragonCapture is the only fully automatic Dictation Box on the market.

By comparison SP Pro cannot capture your dictation without using a trigger command and cannot automatically deposit your text but… It has a ton of impressive features which we will let dilligence explain. We recommend trialing both of these utilities. You will find trials in our signature tag. DragonCapture's weakness is editing because you have already transferred your text. Of course there is an option to review/rewrite/edit your text before transferring but you can already have that capability in Dragon's Dictation Box. That's why we recommend trying both utilities. We all work differently and what works well for us isn't necessarily the best choice for you.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

12/17/2020 08:42 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Sorry for chiming in. I typically meant to stay out of this thread. But since the main distributor and promoter of DragonCapture (and much appreciated owner of this forum) comes up with a recommendation then hopefully I'm entitled to give some feedback on it . You can of course take my response "with a grain of salt" as well (needless to say Herr Wilke, developer of DC can feel free to chime in).

"SP Pro seems to include everything but the kitchen sink"

Wouldn't be my choice of words but it's certainly true that SP 6 Standard alone is 10 times more powerful than DC and SP 6 PRO cannot even begin to compare.

"By comparison SP Pro cannot capture your dictation without using a trigger command and cannot automatically deposit your text"

Sorry to burst the bubble but this is no longer true . SP can actually do both semi automatic launching and automatic relaunching once the box has been launched. 

Just take a glimpse at the Auto Box video and Quiet Box. Launch them once and they will keep on loading and transferring automatically. However Auto Box has a very special trick of its own: a unique combination of Auto Transfer and full Select-and-Say control.

And that really is a first

A note on Auto Pasting/Auto Transfer.

Perhaps the best-kept secret on this forum is that any kind of auto pasting/transfer is only as good as its correction possibilities. No, not even that...

Never forget that any kind of correction you need to do afterwards while using auto pasting/auto transfer typically involves more steps than saying a simple "DB" to launch the most powerful dictation box ever that offers full Select-and-Say/Proofreading control (and a gazillion additional options) for any dictation that entails more than one or two sentences. 

I think it's important to keep that in mind.

Almost forgot, we weren't in a rush to come up with the SP 6 PRO demo but this thread has motivated us to speed up the process. The demo will be ready within two weeks 

12/18/2020 12:48 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Rob,

When is your 30 day trial coming soon? What does 'soon' mean and when?

You have obviously put in some hard work looking at your products and the videos look great. The 30 day trial would be the icing on the cake. Everybody else is doing it so come on Rob, let's have that trial so we can try it for ourselves before buying.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

| DPG 15.61 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows 10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10900K (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache |  32GB RAM. | 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W) Boot Drive | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W) Storage Drive | Sennheiser D10 USB Wireless Microphone

12/18/2020 02:06 PM

Kelray

I have been using SP 6 Pro for a while now I have to say I am quite impressed with the many features it has. To try and learn them all at once can be quite overwhelming. I think there are modules that will be useful to some people and not at all to other people. It is all in each individual's needs. I have never tried Dragon capture so I cannot comment on how the 2 compare. I really like using the SP editor and the DB boxes. I haven't had much of occasion to use the auto box, but what I have I have found it very useful. I also find that the quick store features come in quite handy at times also. In my opinion the price for the purchase of the program is well worth it. I can say that in the occasion that I have had a problem with the program this customer service has been very good.

12/18/2020 02:19 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Nice review Kelray, so why can't we try it ourselves in a trial period?

SpeechStart +, KnowBrainer 2017, Dragon Capture all do this feature. Then the public can decide for themselves.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

| DPG 15.61 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows 10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10900K (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache |  32GB RAM. | 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W) Boot Drive | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W) Storage Drive | Sennheiser D10 USB Wireless Microphone

12/18/2020 03:01 PM

Kelray

I cannot comment on why he does not have a free preview as of yet, but I see from his message above he expects to have a free preview within a couple weeks.

12/18/2020 03:10 PM

Author Icon
tar

We been working on one more product that we wanted to include in the main package before the releasing the trial version. We believe it is a significant tool that can be useful to many.

We certainly appreciate the positive remarks about the products. We have spent a long time working on them.

Personally, I totally agree with the previous comment regarding the fact that there many tools that will be useful to you while others not so much. We just wanted to provide all of our significant tools in one package. As I stated before to others, it usually is better to have more tools at your disposal than less. Certainly, take the tools that work for you and don't worry so much about the others. Maybe they'll be of use later as you learn more the features.

Tom

programmer for: http://speechproductivity.eu/

12/18/2020 03:11 PM

Author Icon
tar

By the way, the trial version should be out within two weeks!

Tom

12/18/2020 04:44 PM

Kelray

I just remembered when I 1st bought speechproductivity a 30 day moneyback guarantee was offered. I believe that is still in effect. It is not exactly a free preview, but it still gives you 30 days to decide if you like the program or not. I wish you luck with whatever program you end up deciding to use.

12/18/2020 06:39 PM

Author Icon
tar

The money back guarantee is still in effect, no questions asked. 

Tom

12/18/2020 09:38 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Even _more_ tools in the new trial? I'm looking forward to them! I think SP Pro is a superb deal. And I vouch for the "no questions asked" policy too, which I exercised long, long ago before Rob moved to the C#/Visual Studio platform. I was very pleased with his "no hassle" attitude and fast customer service. If other software manufacturers were as good, it would be a better world.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

12/18/2020 11:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: dilligence  SP 6 Standard alone is 10 times more powerful than DC and SP 6 PRO cannot even begin to compare.

Sorry to burst the bubble but this is no longer true . SP can actually do both semi automatic launching and automatic relaunching once the box has been launched. 

Never forget that any kind of correction you need to do afterwards while using auto pasting/auto transfer typically involves more steps than saying a simple "DB" to launch the most powerful dictation box ever that offers full Select-and-Say/Proofreading control (and a gazillion additional options) for any dictation that entails more than one or two sentences. 

No argument about SP Pro 6 including hundreds of features that are not available in DragonCapture but that's not why it was created. DragonCapture was created for those who simply wish to efficiently dictate into non-Dragon friendly environments. That's it.

Only DragonCapture features true fully automatic dictation. Even saying that SP Pro is semiautomatic is a bit of a stretch. 

With the SP Pro Auto Box you have to begin by saying Auto Box to open it. We noted no capability to simultaneously open the Auto Box and dictate, like the KnowBrainer Notepad <dictation> command (which actually is semiautomatic) or better yet, Neither Dragon's Dictation Box or DragonCapture require a trigger command or need to be opened separately. Dragon's Dictation Box is truly semi automatic while DragonCapture is fully automatic.

We tend to think of DragonCapture as a one trick pony but you can verbally disable the AutoPaste feature so that it can be used for Select-&-Say editing, like Auto Box. Of course, unlike Auto Box, you don't have to open DragonCapture 1st.

We noted a couple of Auto Box potential problems for your considerations. 

1. Why make Period your transfer command? What happens when a phrase ends in a question-mark? Our 1st recommendation would be to rename your Period command to something like Transfer. You are not saving any time when you have to pause before saying Period. This is not really considered to be good speech recognition etiquette and could wind up becoming a habit everywhere else. 

2. Why do you have to open the Auto Box with a separate command before dictating? This is a two-step process that should only require one step; to justify a semiautomatic claim. Even in KnowBrainer we can simultaneously open Notepad and dictate “My dog has fleas” by saying Notepad <my dog has fleas>

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

12/19/2020 11:56 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I think fully automatic and semi-automatic can be confusing terms. I think the Dragon dictation box is the only fully automatic solution with Select-and-Say control. Maybe it’s a matter of interpretation?

Anyway, I believe there are actually three different concepts featured in SP:

1. semi automatic launching

2. semi automatic relaunching

3. automatic relaunching

1. Semi automatic launching of the dictation box using a trigger word like the Speak <dictation> command. These (Power) commands have been featured in SP since the very  early editions.

2. The SP Transport function is an example of semi automatic relaunching: the box Transfers and automatically reopens. In SP PRO the Transport feature intelligently detects punctuation.

3. Automatic relaunching, which is currently featured as Adjustable Auto Transfer in AIO DB (SP PRO) and as standard behavior in Auto Box (SP Standard) and Quiet Box (SP PRO). The box continuously relaunches/stays open.

“Even in KnowBrainer we can simultaneously open Notepad and dictate “My dog has fleas” by saying Notepad <my dog has fleas>"

It's indeed a good idea to add semi automatic launching to Auto Box/Auto Messaging Box as well. I actually forgot that, will add it to the next SP Standard update.

"We tend to think of DragonCapture as a one trick pony but you can verbally disable the AutoPaste feature so that it can be used for Select-&-Say editing"

I don't think many people will prefer DC with its AutoPaste feature disabled. I think it's obvious to anyone who watches the All-In-One DB video or Quiet Box video that SP is far more superior when it comes to that kind of use.

"Why make Period your transfer command? What happens when a phrase ends in a question-mark? Our 1st recommendation would be to rename your Period command to something like Transfer. You are not saving any time when you have to pause before saying Period."

I’m afraid it’s a little more sophisticated than that. Period is not really a transfer command the box just responds to it, just like it responds to a question mark or exclamation point (no Dragon scripting involved here). So there isn’t any “pausing” involved either.

If you think about it. What's usually the moment people transfer their dictation? Most likely not in the middle of a sentence but more likely after issuing a punctuation mark. They were going to say these punctuation marks anyway only this time it automatically transfers their dictation to the target.

Auto Box is sort of a hybrid, a productive mix of Auto Transfer and true Select-and-Say control. I use it all the time (it's really an all-in-one solution because it does not depend on switching to a different mode or anything like that). You will never have to say "Transfer" again but at the same time you maintain 100% Select-and-Say capability to properly edit your dictation before sending it to the target.

I think it's important to realize that immediate AutoTransfers (like in DB and Quiet Box) or AutoPasting as in DC are prone to mistakes because you don't get a chance to correct your dictation. And you really need almost 100% Dragon accuracy (which nobody has).

Auto Box gives you a very interesting alternative I think.

On a side note, autotransfer/pasting may be somewhat overrated in general. Like I said earlier, correcting just one autopaste/transfer error usually involves more actions then having to call up a manual dictation box in the first place. What if there were two errors?

If you are dictating more than one or two sentences you’re probably better off using a full-featured dictation box. Unless perhaps if you have 100% accuracy. 

12/19/2020 08:41 PM

gasolo

For me, SP Pro was a game changer because it would not be productive not to have a great shot at editing in a big roomy easy to see box. I use two main things with SP pro. If I am dictating into Outlook, I almost always use the quiet box in invisibility mode. if I dictate longer messages like this post, I hotkey and open DB and then say, "spokentransfer"That places the text in the destination and reads it back in one shot. It really works well.

GaSolo

12/20/2020 09:44 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

I know Rob and he is a lovely fellow. I have seen his videos where he sings with his girlfriend so I know his presentation is first class. I have no doubt that the software is worth having.

However, you would not buy a car without checking it over first. I would always want to check it over first for myself with a free trial. That would give me peace of mind as the other sellers who are selling their wares do.

Reviews are great but if he is doing a 30-day free trial, that is better. If you like the software after 30 days, then you part with your $89,

I would like to try it so I will wait the two weeks when he does give out a free 30-day trial.

With the number of features in it, I would probably need 30 days to get familiar with them all.

No offence to Rob and his partners, just my view.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

12/20/2020 08:25 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Tiger Feet I know Rob and he is a lovely fellow. I have seen his videos where he sings with his girlfriend so I know his presentation is first class.

Yep, that would be me. Here's another one (without my girlfriend). It's got quite some views and likes on YouTube. My version of Garth Brooks's - Face to Face (I'm a fan, I think you'll like it too):

Thanks for mentioning (three times, so far) that you would love to see the demo. 

Your patience will be rewarded (within 10 days). We are just tying up some loose ends and adding last-minute changes.

You're right though, most people will need much more than 30 days to get acquainted with all SP 6 PRO program features. Therefore we will not include all of them, That would be too stressful .

I've got some tough decisions to make in the next couple of days...

12/20/2020 08:47 PM

Author Icon
MDH
Top-Tier Member

I'm impressed!!!

You might think about recruiting Lunis into your band.

MDH

12/20/2020 08:55 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I'm pretty sure Lunis can keep a tune as well :-).

If I remember correctly he posted something musical from his previous career a while back.

Time for a re-post!

12/21/2020 01:30 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: android94301 Has anyone used all of these products? I've been using the trial version of Dragon capture and am trying to decide between buying it or buying SP 6 which has a similar capture module, plus other features. 

Would love to hear objective opinions and reviews, not from the proprietors of these products. Thank you!

mmm!

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Dragon Capture versus SP 6 Standard or SP 6 Pro?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Statistics
31978 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 594 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 596 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.