KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does Dragon 15.6.1 cause problems with Know Brainer and Speech start?
Topic Summary: Know Brainer Speech Start and Dragon 15.61
Created On: 02/03/2021 04:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 02/03/2021 04:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Suzanne Suzanne..

I am wondering other people's experiences with Dragon 15.6 .1, if they also are having what someone else mentioned elsewhere about Dragon stops recognizing dictation a couple times a day and has to be restarted? When I started using this Dragon 15.6.1 version two weeks ago, I also began using Know brainer and Speech Start. Since then, I've had more such problems with Dragon and I'm not sure which program is causing it. I like the additional features with Know Brainer and Speech Start and want to know if the problem lies with Dragon.

-------------------------

ss

02/03/2021 05:01 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We are not certain but we are also experiencing 1 or 2 freezes a day which results in having to crash and relaunch Dragon. We have always used KnowBrainer and SpeechStart+ but it seems like this problem only began a couple of months ago. We just finished moving to a new top shelf i9 gaming computer. We immediately experienced the same problem on our i7. We don't typically run Dragon without DragonCapture, SpeechStart+ and KnowBrainer but we are wondering if a Windows update might be the culprit. It would be great to hear back from others...

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

02/03/2021 05:54 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

I thought the big idea with 15.61 was that it solved hanging problems. But I have to admit that I have experienced delays in the dictation showing up in various apps (Word, Excel, Access) more frequently with 15.61 (or it seems more frequently). Honestly, at this time I wish I had not upgraded to 15.61. I found 15.3 to be much more stable and reliable. And the new faster Basic engine hasn't done anything noticeable at all for me in terms of speed. If it was a quick fix, I'd roll back to 15.3 in a heartbeat. But it would likely take several hours of time to roll back, with unknown results, losing vocabulary additions and trainings, etc. So I suffer in silence while I wait for Dragon from time to time.

And worse (or best) yet, I think I'm using the wonderful SpeechStart command "Restart Dragon" more often these days, since upgrading to 15.61 (sigh).

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

02/03/2021 07:37 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The WinWrap Basic scripting engine only applies to Advanced-Scripting commands. The difference is night and day. This is why we use WinWrap Basic in KnowBrainer. You might not notice much difference in a simple movement but SAX Basic was so bad that a lot of our personal commands couldn't even complete; especially in Outlook.

Nuance worked on the freezing problem for several years. They had it almost solved a year ago. We had no problem 6 months ago while Ver. 15.3 typically froze 6 - 10 times a day. We suspect a Windows update may have upset the Nuance applecart. We don't believe the new freezing issue is Dragon's fault.

We also ran into similar issues in KnowBrainer. You may recall that a new KnowBrainer command could take 30 seconds to deploy in the 1st execution. We didn't change anything in KnowBrainer and it certainly wasn't a problem 6 months ago. Lindsay spent about 6 weeks on this problem and we got it down to 6 seconds. We're not surprised that Dragon 15.61 is having problems but we're not certain that Dragon 15.3 will fare any better. Having said that, many of our court reporters have gone back to Ver. 15.3. We have no plans to return to Ver. 15.3 but we can verify an occasional freezing problem and typically a daily crash.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

02/03/2021 09:20 PM

Author Icon
Suzanne Suzanne..

I would like to hear from those of you who tried Dragon 15.6 and then went back to Dragon 15.3. What difference did you notice? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble.

ss

02/04/2021 10:52 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

I tried a very early 15.6 pre-release, found a couple of showstoppers and reverted to 15.3 (immediately before installing 15.6 I did a full disk image of my C Drive, test drove 15.6 for 3 days then reverted to the previous full disk image). After the "Official" release of 15.6 came out I followed the same procedure (disk image, install, test for 3 days, revert). I have not installed 15.6.1 (although I have a copy it will not install on my Windows 10 1803 OS because of permission issues on the Start folder). Both of the 15.6 (.0) had showstopper bugs - the main one is the inability to launch from icons on the desktop (I know that there is a partial workaround for this and I know that 15.6+ (possibly the official release) has a partial bug fix). The second showstopper appears not to really be a bug but a conscious decision to eliminate full access to the Dragon Bar's features when minimized to the taskbar - I know that I can create verbal commands to access most, if not all, of the features that I am accustomed to accessing via the taskbar icon. But, many years of "muscle memory" intrude! However, I could probably live with this but I cannot live with the first showstopper.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

Statistics
32000 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 509 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 511 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.